U.S. cracks down on Iran uranium production, nuclear plant

rooster59

800x800 (2).jpg

FILE PHOTO: The Iranian flag flutters in front the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) headquarters in Vienna, Austria March 4, 2019. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States acted on Friday to force Iran to stop producing low-enriched uranium and expanding its only nuclear power plant, intensifying its campaign aimed at halting Tehran's ballistic missile programme and curbing its regional influence.

At the same time, the Trump administration renewed waivers of U.S. sanctions allowing Russia, China, France and Britain to pursue programs designed to prevent Iran from reactivating a defunct nuclear weapons programme, the State Department said in a statement.

Instead of granting the waivers for 180 days, the administration will shorten their term to 90 days, the statement said.

Under the 2015 nuclear deal with six major powers, Iran agreed to transform its nuclear facilities at Arak and Fordow in ways that would make it much more difficult to use them to produce fissile material for nuclear weapons.

The four nations' ability to continue that work, however, was compromised by U.S. President Donald Trump's decision last year to abandon the agreement, which was designed to limit Iran's nuclear programme in return for economic sanctions relief.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-04

Meanwhile Trump through Kushner will be providing Saudi Arabia with nuclear power plant technology and likely hardware to go with it.

So much inconsistencies in his foreign policies.

Providing a nuclear power plant is not quite the same as providing the means to enrich uranium. But the anti-trump sentiment is clear

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

KSA is required to sign a nuclear non proliferation treaty prior to the supply of civilian nuclear technology transfer. In secrecy trump admin has completely ignored the requirement In addition, to date KSA, has refused to give up it's right for enrichment of uranium or reprocess spent nuclear fuel which can be used to develop nuclear weapons. Now you have some facts do you still admire trump Saudi nuclear previously secret (illegal?) nuclear tech transfer arrangements?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-administration-authorized-nuclear-energy-companies-to-share-technological-information-with-saudi-arabia/2019/03/28/1b5f0816-5180-11e9-8d28-f5149e5a2fda_story.html?utm_term=.74a244f7fb90

What technology has been transferred? Your link is just another Washington Post scare tactic about something that is possible, but has not happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

KSA is required to sign a nuclear non proliferation treaty prior to the supply of civilian nuclear technology transfer. In secrecy trump admin has completely ignored the requirement In addition, to date KSA, has refused to give up it's right for enrichment of uranium or reprocess spent nuclear fuel which can be used to develop nuclear weapons. Now you have some facts do you still admire trump Saudi nuclear previously secret (illegal?) nuclear tech transfer arrangements?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-administration-authorized-nuclear-energy-companies-to-share-technological-information-with-saudi-arabia/2019/03/28/1b5f0816-5180-11e9-8d28-f5149e5a2fda_story.html?utm_term=.74a244f7fb90

For sure, it will be a powerful incentive for Iran not to engage in nuclear weapons development! ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sealbash said:

What technology has been transferred? Your link is just another Washington Post scare tactic about something that is possible, but has not happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

More than likely wasting my time. However, if you had read the link I provided you would know there were seven, in secret, previously authorised transfers of nuclear IP to KSA out of sight from Congressional overview. I don't know US law, but one would have thought such action is a breach of national security regulations.

• Like 2

Russia is a major source of yellow cake that Iran relies on to enrich uranium for power plant electrical production.

Oil rich Kazakhstan also provides Iran with yellow cake.

Will Trump crack down on Russia and Kazakhstan?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

"Like so many Trump administration foreign policy gambits, the Iran squeeze looks like a tactical campaign that’s in search of a strategy." 

Exactly.

Trump's campaign to remove Maduro as president of Venezuela follows the same strategy and just as unproductive.

A campaign without a strategy will tatter in the winds of time.

sounds like the whole of the last 75 years, 

"United States acted on Friday to force Iran to stop producing low-enriched uranium and expanding its only nuclear power plant, intensifying its campaign aimed at halting Tehran's ballistic missile programme and curbing its regional influence."

Am I dim? I don't understand what the US are going to do to force Iran to stop. Is the clue in the next paragraph?

"At the same time, the Trump administration renewed waivers of U.S. sanctions allowing Russia, China, France and Britain to pursue programs designed to prevent Iran from reactivating a defunct nuclear weapons programme, the State Department said in a statement."

Is this the action they have taken ie extending the waivers for European countries to work in Iran?

Why doesn't;t America just wait until they invade Iran? This year or next, it cannot be far away....I suppose they haven't invaded so far because they don't want to invade Iran at the same time they are invading Venezuela

16 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

"United States acted on Friday to force Iran to stop producing low-enriched uranium and expanding its only nuclear power plant, intensifying its campaign aimed at halting Tehran's ballistic missile programme and curbing its regional influence."

Am I dim? I don't understand what the US are going to do to force Iran to stop. Is the clue in the next paragraph?

"At the same time, the Trump administration renewed waivers of U.S. sanctions allowing Russia, China, France and Britain to pursue programs designed to prevent Iran from reactivating a defunct nuclear weapons programme, the State Department said in a statement."

Is this the action they have taken ie extending the waivers for European countries to work in Iran?

Why doesn't;t America just wait until they invade Iran? This year or next, it cannot be far away....I suppose they haven't invaded so far because they don't want to invade Iran at the same time they are invading Venezuela

A. The united States could not invade Iran. it could cripple the Iranian military but the minute American boots hit the ground the body bags would start returning to the USA.

B. Venezuela would be easier for the USA to invade but again i do not think the possible losses are worth the American lives.

C. The current administration has done so much to alienate even its staunchest Western Allies make it doubtful the US has any friends for foreign adventure Outside of Israel and Saudi Arabia all their alliances look shakey. The biggest kid on the block has few real friends left.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kiwiken said:

A. The united States could not invade Iran. it could cripple the Iranian military but the minute American boots hit the ground the body bags would start returning to the USA.

B. Venezuela would be easier for the USA to invade but again i do not think the possible losses are worth the American lives.

C. The current administration has done so much to alienate even its staunchest Western Allies make it doubtful the US has any friends for foreign adventure Outside of Israel and Saudi Arabia all their alliances look shakey. The biggest kid on the block has few real friends left.

D. Trump is a coward.