Pattaya: Foreign pensioner robbed of 560,000 baht in Euros left in his safe

rooster59

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do some people have problems with keeping their money in the bank ? I just don't understand it. 

But maybe the cash is not "clean". 

Someone knew the old man was filthy rich , and kept money at home<in the safe. Or they wouldn't pick his house in the first place.

11 hours ago, david555 said:

I was thinking I was paranoia when thinking the same as you explained the son way to buy and keep it his own secret from buying paying cash transporting discrete and even not paying with card ….. I feel relieved now I am normal person ( I hope ...:whistling::biggrin: )

I think you both are very paranoid. Of course no need to show it around, but all those measures are a bit over the top. 

Anyway, of course any safe is not safe if the thief awaits the owner and put a gun to his head to open the safe. 

Money should be in the bank, unless you want to hide black money. You can rent a safe at a bank for your other stuff. 

If you want a safe at home you should make it hidden and possibly install 2 safes with 1 as decoy.

48 minutes ago, balo said:

filthy rich

You classify 560k Thai baht as "filthy rich"?

Even if it was 560k € it's far from being filthy rich. 

Bill Gates is filthy rich!

5 hours ago, DJ54 said:

That is a very true statement..... I had a safe that looked and felt rugged enough better than the hotel type. The lock function is a 

set of batteries inside the safe if the batteries fail you can unlock 

with a key you keep separately by taking of the center cap on lock.

Batteries stopped working and didn’t know where the key was. Looked at he manufactures website to see if any information on 

how to open. Nothing

Youtube I gave basic information of type and searched. Two videos

the second sounded corny and didn’t think it would work. Involved 

hitting the on top about the area of lock below...

ok tried it ..hit the top of safe with bottom of my hand.... it worked 

it took like 3 minutes

Thanks for that.  My birth certificate is in a similar safe at home in the UK, often wondered how I'd open it given I've forgotten the combination, lost the key, and the batteries, after 10 years, are no doubt f@#ked. Considered throwing it off the top of a high rise and seeing what happens; the youtube solution seems a lot more practicable.

15 hours ago, david555 said:

Forget that potato trick , my safe only resulted in that with shaken the battery's , so did not open , and needed the key .:thumbsup:  (I tried that myself..)

Besides I never ever would use or buy a safe with hinges outside ….easy to use a electric disc cutter or welder 

Looks like he had a business seeing so many files in as office looking small room where safe was bolted to the wall, and in a nice compound …. they knew where to look for cash

Even the cheap ones with hinges outside have a projection that goes inside so it won't open even if the hinges are cut. Obviously his didn't have that feature.

Having said that, the big ones are not too expensive, for that amount of money.

Bottom line, nothing is safe, and CCTV isn't worth the money if it is saved to a machine in the same place as the valuables.

13 hours ago, Splash210 said:

Ever heard of a bank?

He had Euros cash. You can open a foreign currency deposit account here but to me they did not look attractive, and I am not even sure you can withdraw in that foreign currency. 

Safes are not a good idea. They're an invitation for thieves who can monitor your movements then strike.

I bet he knows the thief.

Farang aquantance, bargirl or a Thai delivery man who noticed the safe.

Same applies to buying large quanitites of expensive appliances for the love nest. Thai delivery driver has your address and might pass it on for a commission.Alot of farang have been cleaned out.

Same with bar girls and katoeys.

They get commissions from the BIB for farang addresses known to have a stash.

10 hours ago, Cheops said:

I think you both are very paranoid. Of course no need to show it around, but all those measures are a bit over the top. 

Anyway, of course any safe is not safe if the thief awaits the owner and put a gun to his head to open the safe. 

Money should be in the bank, unless you want to hide black money. You can rent a safe at a bank for your other stuff. 

If you want a safe at home you should make it hidden and possibly install 2 safes with 1 as decoy.

A) Yep , feeling paranoia before that poster post ,after not so much anymore ...lol 

b) agreed 

c) You try to find a Thai bank renting you Johnny foreigner a safe … good luck ! And why o why my white money may not ne at my disposal , at least a certain part of it , plastic and digital money …. 1 click of a button and all is frozen or gone , for what reason however right way , or rong way  , surely in a country under milit. rule . Cash will be always king in difficult moments ???? & Gold in war times ????????

D) Now now you start thinking , keep thinking , as you get older you shall understand more..:thumbsup:  

Whenever later you have a reasonable amount of money you start be a follower in my thinking :wink:

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Even the cheap ones with hinges outside have a projection that goes inside so it won't open even if the hinges are cut. Obviously his didn't have that feature.

Having said that, the big ones are not too expensive, for that amount of money.

Bottom line, nothing is safe, and CCTV isn't worth the money if it is saved to a machine in the same place as the valuables.

"Even the cheap ones with hinges outside have a projection that goes inside so it won't open even if the hinges are cut. Obviously his didn't have that feature."

So that is already avoided by not buying such one with hinges outside , as not knowing the one in your eye at the shop have that security !?

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If anyone has a similar amount of money and wants to keep it their home, a decent large safe costs 15,000-20,000 baht at the safe store on Pattaya Klang opposite side of Foodland.

Even Index have them Biggy's next to the up escalator .., electronic or the combination ones , besides the cookie jar thin ones 

1 hour ago, JimSaints said:

Amazing so many fellow expats enjoy this guy got robbed by some low life (thais ?) but just show how bored people are living in Thailand - try get a life aka move to a more enjoyable country ...

many are just envy & jealousy , but must admit the fuschia red shining shorts is a bit ….let say... a special overdone :biggrin:

If I was a investigator I would have at least 1 direction to go for further investigating some group of people :whistling:

2 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

he has being talking to someone about his cash and the safe is not very strong.not a good mix.now it is gone.would never have a safe like that  have a better one  and only key access

The turning combination wheel code ones are better , but more difficult to handle …, we are digitally spoiled 

2 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Safes are not a good idea. They're an invitation for thieves who can monitor your movements then strike.

I bet he knows the thief.

Farang aquantance, bargirl or a Thai delivery man who noticed the safe.

Same applies to buying large quanitites of expensive appliances for the love nest. Thai delivery driver has your address and might pass it on for a commission.Alot of farang have been cleaned out.

Same with bar girls and katoeys.

They get commissions from the BIB for farang addresses known to have a stash.

Than even bank with digital or pass book are not safe …, the only certainty in life is …. uncertainty ..sad but true

But agreeing with your post in general :thumbsup:

Friend of mine bought one of those cheap small safes from Makro. Unfortunately he died. His passport that we wanted to hand into the Thai Police was in the safe. Took the safe to a local mechanic who had a large angle grinder. Took him just three minutes to cut it open.

•        Talking of safes, another mate of mine was working on Cape Town docks as a crane operator. He was off loading a large imported bank safe from a ship when he accidentally dropped it quite hard onto the dock. The safe thought that someone was trying to blown it open and immediately went into lock solid mode. There wasn't a locksmith in South Africa that could unlock, they had to fly someone out from the country of manufacture (Germany I think) to open the damned thing. Needless to say my mate got the sack.

Archived