Pattaya: Foreign pensioner robbed of 560,000 baht in Euros left in his safe

rooster59

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The safes they sell in Thailand only keep honest people honest.  Most can be cracked with a couple of crowbars.  Unfortunately they give a false sense of security. 

7 minutes ago, connda said:

The safes they sell in Thailand only keep honest people honest.  Most can be cracked with a couple of crowbars.  Unfortunately they give a false sense of security. 

This one looks even one of the more heavier ones  fireproof I  guess..., but those are only good for occasional thieving , not for something planned as coming with crowbar & tools  already to remove from bolting to wall ,and in knowing absence of the house masters

vlcsnap-2019-05-04-13h06m15s851.png

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The theft occurred at the bungalow in the Lakeview Exclusive Villa in Soi Praphanimit. 

Obviously he isn't allow to keep a pack of snarling, barking dogs.  Like a safe, it's not fool proof, but it does provide a good first line defense.  And your CCTV needs to be uploaded to the Cloud and be on a UPS so that cutting the power to the house doesn't effect it.  Then they can rip it out of the wall while filming themselves.

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Obviously he isn't allow to keep a pack of snarling, barking dogs.  Like a safe, it's not fool proof, but it does provide a good first line defense.  And your CCTV needs to be uploaded to the Cloud and be on a UPS so that cutting the power to the house doesn't effect it.  Then they can rip it out of the wall while filming themselves.

And connected to your android phone in real time of the happening , not avoiding the thieving , but some can also trick an alarm or even voice contact ….

The thieves knew where to be and when , even possible the knew about the money , example a deposit given for real estate or any other transaction …. a 1000 guesses possible 

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

Man, those thieves sure were lucky to have gone to just the right home in the village that contained all that money...????

I wonder if he had TV or internet cable installed recently. Is his maid still working there?

31 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I have an old Brit friend who (15 years ago) took 2 bar-girls back to his room, there was a knock on the door the next morning, it was the cops, who went str8 to his small cannabis stash, and busted him!

Maybe he should have recompensed his bedwarmers a bit better.

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No not really the smallest/cheapest thing.

Bigger than a hotel safe.

But these burglars must have had some real tools with them.

Brute force, crowbar, grinder?

And they knew where to search.

...and plenty of time. Someone knew the guy wouldn't be home too quick otherwise they would have legged it with the safe rather than doing it on site.

26 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Exactly why my Thai son and his wife never allow visitors (unless well known long term) to step into the house. If it's for a repair my son will, where possible, take the item to a repair shop or carry the item (e.g. microwave) to a table under a verandah, but never ask the repair men to come into the house.

When my son bought a safe (better than hotel safe) he made a plan to buy it then get it home:

- Find the safe he wanted, pay cash and give no personal / address information whatever to the sales folks at the shop, also insist that the safe box be wrapped in plain paper and more, insist that he will take the safe to his van.  On arrival at home son waited until very late evening to take the safe from his van into the house and upstairs to his bedroom where it's now bolted to the floor and a wall (son did it himself) and inside of a cupboard.  

I was thinking I was paranoia when thinking the same as you explained the son way to buy and keep it his own secret from buying paying cash transporting discrete and even not paying with card ….. I feel relieved now I am normal person ( I hope ...:whistling::biggrin: )

The secret is too have two safes,one with a nothing of value in,couple

of bricks,not bolted down so they can easily remove it,and hopefully they will

not damage other property ,then another well hidden ,bolted to the

wall of the ceiling with your valuables in,(that's if you have removable

ceiling tiles ) if not,use your imagination, hide it well and bolt it down.

regards worgeordie

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The secret is too have two safes,one with a nothing of value in,couple

of bricks,not bolted down so they can easily remove it,and hopefully they will

not damage other property ,then another well hidden ,bolted to the

wall of the ceiling with your valuables in,(that's if you have removable

ceiling tiles ) if not,use your imagination, hide it well and bolt it down.

regards worgeordie

I think candidate thieves are thanking you now for the updates and ideas (if they don't know them already …?) to them …Any  job briefing is welcome :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, david555 said:

I think candidate thieves are thanking you now for the updates and ideas (if they don't know them already …?) to them …Any  job briefing is welcome :thumbsup:

I thought we were all friends on TVF ????, and i am sure there are no shady folks on here.????

regards worgeordie

6 minutes ago, smew said:

Check the girlfriend or boyfriend, sure there is a connection!!!!!!

Or any one else he did a transaction with and paid him in Euros (example selling a car...etc.) 

54 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

my safe is under the mattress. 

My wife is my safe ! All my money goes in there.

Impossible to get something out of there ,

probably empty as well.

If one day burglars take the safe away, i will probably help them carry.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Next time he would be well advised to buy a better safe. Hopefully the CCTV will reveal some clues, though the normal situation in these cases is that the cash is gone by the time they catch up with the perpetrators.

Personally, i would recommend a bank account. 

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Personally, i would recommend a bank account. 

Don't worry Immigration is helping us out on that to keep our money safe in bank blocked for a long time a year …. such good guy's & girls liking pensioners too mud :biggrin:

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I read the headline and thought the robbers had left the pensioner in the safe !!!

I've noticed the official TV posters seem to have quite a talent for ambiguity in the headlines

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've noticed the official TV posters seem to have quite a talent for ambiguity in the headlines

Not really, there would have to be a comma after Euros to have that meaning.

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Not really, there would have to be a comma after Euros to have that meaning.

Some of us are not slaves to punctuation.

My favorite headline is the body that was discovered in the woods by a tramp in a state of advanced decomposition.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Next time he would be well advised to buy a better safe. Hopefully the CCTV will reveal some clues, though the normal situation in these cases is that the cash is gone by the time they catch up with the perpetrators.

And definitely gone the instant they are caught. 

But 500k in a 1k 'safe' seriously 

Not a random crime. Dude talked too much or pissed off the wrong acquaintance. While living in developing countries keep your business to yourself. There is very little chance he ever sees any justice.

Archived