18 Month Non-imm Multiple Entry O Visa

I just returned from Singapore and received an 18 month non-imm O visa for marriage to Thai wife. I cleared immigration in Chiang Mai with no problems. Is this something new? I only requested a 1 year multiple entry, but received 18 months. Can you request an 18 month or longer mutliple entry non-imm O visa for marriage to Thai wife? Just curious

I just returned from Singapore and received an 18 month non-imm O visa for marriage to Thai wife...Is this something new? I only requested a 1 year multiple entry, but received 18 months

This is the first time I hear about the 18 months.

I believe there is no blank on the application form to indicate the desired period of validity, at best check boxes to chose either “single” or “multiple” – at least on the forms I have seen. Don’t know what the form in Singapore looks like, and it does not seem to be available online.

--

Maestro

I will be picking my non Img. O visa based on marriage to Thai from the Los Angles consulate office today. I will let you know what I get. I applied for a multi-entry O visa.

While I have heard a lot of negitive comments about the Los Angeles consulate office, they could not have been more helpful to me and my wife. When she showed them her Thai passport, they noted it would expire in 3 months. They explained sometimes you are denied bording if you do not have 6 months of validity left. They set her up and she did her "E" passport application while we were there, even though they have a firm policy of "by appointment only".

Sniperteam6: There are no finiacial requirements to apply for the O visa in your home country, only to extend it in Thailand.

Edited by old wanderer

I just returned from Singapore and received an 18 month non-imm O visa for marriage to Thai wife. I cleared immigration in Chiang Mai with no problems. Is this something new? I only requested a 1 year multiple entry, but received 18 months. Can you request an 18 month or longer mutliple entry non-imm O visa for marriage to Thai wife? Just curious

I find that hard to believe, but I hope I am wrong.

It has to be a mistake.

I did have to supply them with a copy of my online bank account information and the lady at the embassy indicated that you must show a bank account with at least 400K Thai baht equivalent to obtain a multiple entry visa. I guess the 18 month was just a mistake, so I will hope for good fortune in 2 years when I have to apply for another visa. As I said, I put 1 year on the intended length of stay in Thailand visa form, because I was not aware of any visa for longer than a year. But I am sure that they are enforcing the 400K rule for multiple entry visas at the Singapore embassy -- at least they were the day I was there.

Best to double check as the mistake,if that is the case, may not be honoured elsehere, and if you do use over the 12 month period you may be in touble with immigration - there has been threads before on mistakes - best to raise it with immigration and maybe they will make official so you will get an extra 6 months free of charge

But up-to-you - I know after mu non-o expired and i came back into thailand I could have got another 90 days by explaining nicely to the immigration officer in thai that mu visa had not expired (and risked lots of sh1t by lying through my teeth) but chose the honest option and made the immi officers job easy by telling him the visa had expired and got a 30 day stamp very happily without any problems, by helping him understand farang dates...

PS best to flag it up if you are looking for PR in 3 years time - will be good karma on you for being honest and will be seen in good light that you are the kind of farang thailand is happy to let stay... (IMHO)

Edited by Khun Bob

Best to double check as the mistake,if that is the case, may not be honoured elsehere, and if you do use over the 12 month period you may be in touble with immigration - there has been threads before on mistakes - best to raise it with immigration and maybe they will make official so you will get an extra 6 months free of charge

But up-to-you - I know after mu non-o expired and i came back into thailand I could have got another 90 days by explaining nicely to the immigration officer in thai that mu visa had not expired (and risked lots of sh1t by lying through my teeth) but chose the honest option and made the immi officers job easy by telling him the visa had expired and got a 30 day stamp very happily without any problems, by helping him understand farang dates...

Good advice. I would make sure, if you intend to do the visa run every 90 days that immigration at boarder point will honour the last 6 months of your visa. If not of course he should at least give you a 30 days stamp which you could then use to apply for a new Non-Im O in Singapore.

if you go the one year extension route there should not be any problems a slong as you do it within the date of your period of stay (lastentry stamp)