Rebound in Chinese tourists lifts airport passenger numbers

webfact

3 hours ago, onera1961 said:

For the same reason Westerners subject themselves to humiliation and inconveniences to inhale smog and smell stinky sois in an Authoritarian country. It is called the lure the lure of cheap sex. This lure is very powerful. 

The sex is cheaper in Cambodia and Vietnam.

But more surprising the air is far far clearer.

5 hours ago, jessebkk1 said:

Whatever man! who cares! The fact remains that the economy here now has gone down the toilet. If your business does not target the upper middle class or high net worth individuals, your business is as good as dead and giving that the percentage of people in this income bracket is at most 20%, competition is now insane. Businesses that involves buying/selling of good/ok quality cheap anything has stagnated, as the upper middle class are usually not interested in any of these and those who are interested can barely/no longer afford them. I guess this has all now proven who was really driving the middle to lower income of this economy, Hell, look at how quiet this forum has become. For those of us still stuck in this economy - God help us all!

Practical applications of the gini index 101. Only bound to get worse. Military juntas don't want a middle class.

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

By what measure has the economy "gone down the toilet" ? Exports, GDP, employment, currency value, consumer spending, interest rates, inflation ???? (they are all healthy figures)

Besides maybe a slowing of growth (its still growth though), I cant find any indicators of a failing economy, no matter what indicator.

I can answer that for him

"I heard it on a bar stool"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterbkk99 said:

I have never met a bargirl who enjoys the company of Chinese people.

But maybe they were lying to me

There is some truth to what the poster said. My Condo is full , year round, mostly Chinese. Plenty of the young Chinese lads have a Thai girl on their arm. What chance do we grey haired ones have. ????

Walking around in CM it is dead. There are a few farangs in tour groups staying in our neighborhood but those are way down because of low season. Very few chinese in our neighborhood

• Like 1

The amazing and wonderful Kingdom of Thailand will never lose it's tourism trade. Western tourists will continue to arrive, the Russian tourists will continue to arrive. It is now the influx of Chinese and Indian tourism.

Afterwards there will be an influx from another country and the circle will continue.

Let us all not forget that the Kingdom has and always will offer a magnificent lifestyle with friendly people and a superior way of life for every person living here.

I would suggest for that the complaints society book a ticket, jump on a plane and return to your own country.

Live here, love it, enjoy it, stop moaning about it or please leave.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Youlike said:

And are the tourist boats/buses in Thailand safe now? or are we waiting for the next disaster with a hundred deads?

Well they did 'check' the CM Zoo Tram every day and that recently crashed.

What exactly is a 'check'? That it is still there? Still a tram?

Thailand’s tourism industry is facing one of its biggest challenges in recent years as newly released data shows a significant decline in both the number of tourist arrivals and spending.

According to official data compiled by Bloomberg, the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand fell by 3.5 million in March, a decline of 0.7 percent from one year ago.

In addition to the dip in arrivals, foreign tourist spending also fell 1.3 percent to about $5.8 billion.

In a country where tourism accounts for a fifth of the economy, these figures are significant.

The fall in tourist arrivals has been fueled by a decline in Chinese tourists for two consecutive months, although arrivals from India had grown substantially, up 35 percent, Bloomberg reported.

"If the tourism arrivals and receipts continue to slide, it could be an added risk to the economy because the sector is one of the main drivers," Bloomberg quoted Duangrat Prajaksilpthai, an economist at TMB Bank Pcl in Bangkok as saying.

"The numbers usually fluctuate and could bounce back so we have to wait and see."

Earlier this week, the Thai government announced it would continue to waive the fee for visa arrival (VOA), in a bid to boost tourism.

By extending the scheme, tourists from China, India and 19 other nations and regions can enter Thailand free of charge, rather than paying the 2,000 baht fee for a visa when they arrive at the airport.

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Anyone presenting decreasing tourist numbers will face death penalty.

Yes, the only figures I can see going down are:-

"another 15.53 million were passengers on domestic flights, down 1.20 per cent compared to the same quarter last year."

IMHO - 2 reasons for this:-

(1) Showing a small downturn in the domestic market makes an increase in the international market more believable.

(2) The domestic market is comprised of people travelling within the country - Thais and tourists alike - the latter having already been taken into account as "International arrivals" (i.e. tourists) when they first arrived here.

Post removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

57 minutes ago, NoComment said:

The amazing and wonderful Kingdom of Thailand will never lose it's tourism trade. Western tourists will continue to arrive, the Russian tourists will continue to arrive. It is now the influx of Chinese and Indian tourism.

Afterwards there will be an influx from another country and the circle will continue.

Let us all not forget that the Kingdom has and always will offer a magnificent lifestyle with friendly people and a superior way of life for every person living here.

I would suggest for that the complaints society book a ticket, jump on a plane and return to your own country.

Live here, love it, enjoy it, stop moaning about it or please leave.

No Comment Member (Hide) ... Wake up and smell the coffee

42 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

Thailand’s tourism industry is facing one of its biggest challenges in recent years as newly released data shows a significant decline in both the number of tourist arrivals and spending.

According to official data compiled by Bloomberg, the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand fell by 3.5 million in March, a decline of 0.7 percent from one year ago.

In addition to the dip in arrivals, foreign tourist spending also fell 1.3 percent to about $5.8 billion.

In a country where tourism accounts for a fifth of the economy, these figures are significant.

The fall in tourist arrivals has been fueled by a decline in Chinese tourists for two consecutive months, although arrivals from India had grown substantially, up 35 percent, Bloomberg reported.

"If the tourism arrivals and receipts continue to slide, it could be an added risk to the economy because the sector is one of the main drivers," Bloomberg quoted Duangrat Prajaksilpthai, an economist at TMB Bank Pcl in Bangkok as saying.

"The numbers usually fluctuate and could bounce back so we have to wait and see."

Earlier this week, the Thai government announced it would continue to waive the fee for visa arrival (VOA), in a bid to boost tourism.

By extending the scheme, tourists from China, India and 19 other nations and regions can enter Thailand free of charge, rather than paying the 2,000 baht fee for a visa when they arrive at the airport.

"According to official data compiled by Bloomberg, the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand fell by 3.5 million in March, a decline of 0.7 percent from one year ago."

It's already been pointed out (obviously you missed it!) that the above statement is wrong!

The statement should read :- "................. tourist figures visiting Thailand fell TO 3.5 million in March ........"

1 hour ago, ianezy0 said:

There is some truth to what the poster said. My Condo is full , year round, mostly Chinese. Plenty of the young Chinese lads have a Thai girl on their arm. What chance do we grey haired ones have. ????

We grey haired ones are doing fine. Men get better with age, just like red wine. That's the message I am telling the girls.

And speaking of the Chinese, girls say they do not tip. And mamassans just hate them for spitting in ashtrays. I did not invent that.

1 minute ago, Peterbkk99 said:

We grey haired ones are doing fine. Men get better with age, just like red wine. That's the message I am telling the girls.

And speaking of the Chinese, girls say they do not tip. And mamassans just hate them for spitting in ashtrays. I did not invent that.

I think you invented all of it to fit your agenda.     ????

5 hours ago, hobz said:

My friend just reported from Pattaya that the Chinese have taken all the cute girls and that girls are charging double or triple what they used to charge just a few years ago.

Good for the girls if true.

Same was reported in another thread here on thaivisa.

Did your friend tell you where the Chinese from? You think he can see the difference whether they are Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong or even American Chinese as against mainland Chinese. Can another tell the difference. 

1 hour ago, OneEyedPie said:

Velly, velly loud and movement is unpredictable.  Thoughts of murderous intent descends rapidly when negotiating the hordes.  

Retching sounds fill the air and spit covered pavement provides further evidence of attendance.  Cigarette butts litter sidewalk with male tribal tradition to smoke then retch to conclude ritual.  Guttural regurgitation followed by further retching continues as favourite pastime. 

Ah, just like outside the shops with the Brit teenagers every night of the week.

9 hours ago, shackleton said:

Seems  some people on this site are not happy with tourist numbers on the increase  to Thailand

they would rather see a decrease  and look for the Negative  side of things rather than the positive 

Tourists will always come to Thailand Chinese  now Indians next ?

Increased tourism is a positive providing adequate infrastructure is in place , health and safety of the visitors a priority and the economic benefits evenly spread.

Would you say this has been the case up to now ?

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

By what measure has the economy "gone down the toilet" ? Exports, GDP, employment, currency value, consumer spending, interest rates, inflation ???? (they are all healthy figures)

Besides maybe a slowing of growth (its still growth though), I cant find any indicators of a failing economy, no matter what indicator.

And on what planet do you reside ?

14 hours ago, mikebell said:

Why would this increased number of passengers fly here to contract lung cancer?

They probably aren't. TAT probably commissioned this report to support their claims of the excellence in performance they are providing,

The Chinese stock market is tumbling, S&P has dropped over 500 points today. But Thailand is seeing a surge in tourist arrivals.  Haha. I can't wait to hear the spin next month.

13 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Did your friend tell you where the Chinese from? You think he can see the difference whether they are Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong or even American Chinese as against mainland Chinese. Can another tell the difference. 

I think he got the information from the girls. He didn't do any surveys I'm sure. Did u?

19 hours ago, Peterbkk99 said:

I have never met a bargirl who enjoys the company of Chinese people.

But maybe they were lying to me

I never met a Bargirl that didn't like the company of money