Condo squat Brit moved to Bangkok, fined, awaiting deportation

snoop1130

Condo squat Brit moved to Bangkok, fined, awaiting deportation

By The Phuket News

1557316952_1-org.jpg

David Maclean speaks to officers after he was taken into custody last Thursday (May 2). Photo: Supplied

PHUKET:-- Australian-born British national David Maclean has been fined by the Phuket Provincial Court for overstaying in the country and transferred to Bangkok, where he awaits deportation, Immigration Police have confirmed.

“He arrived at the Immigration facility at Soi Suan Plu in Bangkok yesterday afternoon (May 7), after he was fined about B2,500 or B3,000 by the Phuket Provincial Court for overstaying,” Maj Tosapon Kitilap of the Phuket Immigration Office told The Phuket News today (May 8).

“His health is fine and normal. He can walk and eat well,” Maj Tosapon added.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/condo-squat-brit-moved-to-bangkok-fined-awaiting-deportation-71353.php#k5ZLOMIuPE5Vv42q.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-08
  • Haha 1

Reading between the lines, and I'm no expert, but the lack of a return flight to the UK appears to be due to insufficient funds to pay for said flight.  

In the meantime he resides in less than salubrious detention.  

Edited by OneEyedPie

he was fined about B2,500 or B3,000 by the Phuket Provincial Court for overstaying,” Maj Tosapon Kitilap of the Phuket Immigration Office told The Phuket News today (May 8).

This guys permit ran out on the 21/2/19. Why is the overstay fine only 2500 or 3000? I dont get it.

6 minutes ago, GBW said:

he was fined about B2,500 or B3,000 by the Phuket Provincial Court for overstaying,” Maj Tosapon Kitilap of the Phuket Immigration Office told The Phuket News today (May 8).

This guys permit ran out on the 21/2/19. Why is the overstay fine only 2500 or 3000? I dont get it.

Maybe that's all the money he had.

You cant get blood out of a stone.

• Like 1

Man after last night I don’t feel like checking out of my hotel at noon to catch the bus back to Korat this afternoon.  I think I’ll barricade myself in my hotel room for months. 

Actually no darn it we’ve got a cat at home in Korat that’s probably wondering where we are by now and the extra food and water I left for him looks like it’s starting to run low judging by what I see on one of my indoor surveillance cameras so I guess I’ll have to suck up the minor hangover and get back home tonight.  

• Confused 1

there is probably more guys in this position in Thailand hiding away hoping they don't get found out  no money ect 

his problem was barricading himself in and   bringing  attention to his plight 

no doubt will be reading about more in the future 

2 hours ago, GreenerGrass said:

If he doesn't get himself sorted he could end up spending years in detention, very sad and confusing story! I really feel cases such as this, the respective embassy should get involved due to possible mental illness /lack of any supporting family playing a big part in this man's situation. To leave him in a hell hole possibly for years because he lacks the mental capacity as well as funds to be repatrated is inhumane.  

Yes, it's mental illness. 

He probably saw and/or heard things that weren't real, but to him were hideous and frightening in the extreme. I guess he believed the condo owner or his/her representatives were out to get him. I guess he felt there was some sort of conspiracy and everyone was colluding. They were gonna kill him. 

So he barricaded himself in his condo. He was probably scared sh_tless. 

Google "paranoid schizophrenia" 

Edited by Pharoticus
  • Like 2

China will be the new "top dog" in Thai tourism for awhile.

There is a demographic imbalance in China.

It will take several generations to restore the balance.

Young Chinese millenials have the money. Thailand has the honey.

It is time for the white farangs to back off for awhile.

The guy is alive and it appears he is being treated humanely.

That is a good thing. He needs to get on the plane and clear out.  

The "moderators" may not like the truth.

I'm just telling you straight. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Don’t forget to go to IMO and fill in your TM30

Even if the hotel had asked to see my passport which they actually DID NOT ask that still wouldn’t be necessary because immigration can tell the difference between a hotel address and a physical home address that’s already registered. I didn’t register my hotel address with immigration did I. Obviously not.

Regardless it doesn’t matter the hotel actually accepted my United States Driver’s License as proof of ID and they did not even make a copy of it. They also asked to see my wife’s Thai ID. The hotel never even so much as took our ID cards out of our hands. There’s a lot of mass hysteria because of supposed immigration hotel crack downs which are apparently not as bad as they made it sound. And we stayed at a very decent hotel to. If you are a single guy checking into a hotel or by yourself I’m sure they probably would ask for your passport. If I had left my passport at home no one would have been the wiser, I never needed it not for the hotel or the bus or anything.

Although I am NOT saying that you should not bring your passport on overnight trips definitely bring your passport on overnight trips just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app