Schoolgirl prepares for 'Genius' contest in US after getting Thai ID card

She is qualified, in accordance with laws, to receive Thai citizenship. She is going to bolster Thailand’s reputation at an international level,” he said

Would they have qualified her if she wasn't so smart? One has to ponder this

29 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

They are stateless persons. They have no right to remain in Thailand,

I think they have the rights to remain in Thailand but their job opportunities, movement, ability to buy land, etc. are severely limited because they are considered stateless by Thailand. You could do all those that you mentioned because you're not stateless, hence, you don't have any rights to stay here in Thailand unless immigration lets you stay here every year after verification of your finances. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thesetat2013 said:

She is qualified, in accordance with laws, to receive Thai citizenship. She is going to bolster Thailand’s reputation at an international level,” he said

No, neither of her Parents were Thai , so She didnt qualify for Thai citizenship 

5 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Thailand gives citizenship to stateless persons based on the concept of "deserved" but not rights. The rights group are fighting to change that.

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

All this needless conjecture from an article about a stateless girl being granted Thai citizenship? Is such musing possibly driven by some misguided resentment about one's homeland giving away benefits to homeless refugees and otherwise itinerant foreigners? Or is it simply another flawed conflation of one's self-styled 'rights' to park one's self-important, all-knowing but non-contributory butt in the Land of Smiles?

Cant even have a congrats to a smart- girl- whose- beauracratic- nightmare -was- solved topic without the caterwauling of the Jonny Jingos who sit on the thrones of Western Superiority in a country they came to and stayed in for the sole purpose of being as miserable there as they were in the west.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Quite probably , yes they would have .

Thailand has given 24 000 stateless kids Thai Citizenship in the last four years .

Hers and the caveboys applications were given priority because they wanted to go abroad

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Cant even have a congrats to a smart- girl- whose- beauracratic- nightmare -was- solved topic without the caterwauling of the Jonny Jingos who sit on the thrones of Western Superiority in a country they came to and stayed in for the sole purpose of being as miserable there as they were in the west.

The stateless hill tribe/shan/Tai yai people have been in Thailand for 1000's of years , they are the original inhabitants of Northern Thailand , they were part of the Lanna kingdom that joined with Siam in 1892 and eventually became Thailand in 1949 .

The audacity of some Westerners who choose to come and and live in Thailand and question why these people are here and tell them to *Get orf my land* .

Its like if an old retired Iranian guy went to live in the USA and question what the American Indians are doing there and whether they have visas or not 

Unbelievable 

22 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Let’s hope but don’t hold your breathe. That would be like them making residency easy for the foreigners who have family and live here. If at all it will be completely selective. 

Nothing like that at all. You are conflating a totally stateless person getting awarded Thai nationality with some strange notion that foreign partners of Thai citizens who already have citizenship of their homelands should magically get same or similar consideration here.

I am open to correction but I don't think there's a country on the planet that hands out citizenships just because you married a local and/or started breeding.

On 5/11/2019 at 1:48 PM, sanemax said:

I have stateless Family from the area and I take a lot of interest in the developments of them receiving   Thai citizenship .

Prayrut made an announcement last year that all stateless kids will receive citizenship by 2024

Do you really believe what Prayuth tells others? 

20 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Well, he didnt just say it , he announced several Government resolutions to end statelessness , working with various U.N agencies .

They are not just empty words , progress is happening 

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30352755

The United Nations Organisations put a lot of effort in, otherwise, there wouldn't be any changes. 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Nothing like that at all. You are conflating a totally stateless person getting awarded Thai nationality with some strange notion that foreign partners of Thai citizens who already have citizenship of their homelands should magically get same or similar consideration here.

I am open to correction but I don't think there's a country on the planet that hands out citizenships just because you married a local and/or started breeding.

It was saying something compared to Sanemax's statement of all stateless kids will get citizen ship by 2024 as per Prayuth's statement. Sanemax has a stateless family and is hoping some truth and changes will be true and not just hot air.. My comment is like don't believe it as it is like saying we would be as likely as same to all the stateless kids to get citizenship to get residency based on we are parents of the Thai kid and live here taking care. The 2 girls got it because they have something immediate Thailand can capitalize off of. Again, I don't hold much faith for many things here.

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The USA and the UK seem to do just that, and most of Europe as far as I can see.

The only problem being, you need to be already living in the country when you reproduce.

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It was saying something compared to Sanemax's statement of all stateless kids will get citizen ship by 2024 as per Prayuth's statement. Sanemax has a stateless family and is hoping some truth and changes will be true and not just hot air.. My comment is like don't believe it as it is like saying we would be as likely as same to all the stateless kids to get citizenship to get residency based on we are parents of the Thai kid and live here taking care. The 2 girls got it because they have something immediate Thailand can capitalize off of. Again, I don't hold much faith for many things here.

It really is happening , 24 000 kids have been given Thai citizenship in the last four years and that was before the new legislation came into being .

Many other stateless lids are in the process of allying for citizenship , but its only usually granted when they finish schooling at 16 .

There are some Westerners who consider these stateless kids to be "undesirables" , the Thai Government is making it easier for the stateless kids to become Thai citizens and more difficult for Westerners to live in Thailand , which kind of shows who the Thai Gov consider to be "undesirables" and who they want to live in Thailand 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The USA and the UK seem to do just that, and most of Europe as far as I can see.

The only problem being, you need to be already living in the country when you reproduce.

I agree.

My son was a US citizen the moment he was born in Singapore, simply by virtue of me being American.

I don't think it's that uncommon

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

I agree.

My son was a US citizen the moment he was born in Singapore, simply by virtue of me being American.

I don't think it's that uncommon

Rather changed the situation of what was being discussed here .

Did you become a Singapore citizen because your Son was born there ?

That is a comparison to what we are talking about 

Just now, sanemax said:

Rather changed the situation of what was being discussed here .

Did you become a Singapore citizen because your Son was born there ?

That is a comparison to what we are talking about 

No, we were just working there.

But for most countries a child born with at least one parent of said nationality can become a citizen of both countries of the parents automatically, regardless of where they are born. 

The US is the anomaly where any child born in the country regardless of the citizenship of the parents becomes an US citizen, thats rare, but the former case is not

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

No, we were just working there.

But for most countries a child born with at least one parent of said nationality can become a citizen of both countries of the parents automatically, regardless of where they are born. 

The US is the anomaly where any child born in the country regardless of the citizenship of the parents becomes an US citizen, thats rare, but the former case is not

Lets not confuse things and start talking about the USA .

We are talking about Children born in Thailand and neither Parent has Thai Citizenship or citizenship from any Country .

We are talking about stateless people , people with no citizenship from any Country

33 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It really is happening , 24 000 kids have been given Thai citizenship in the last four years and that was before the new legislation came into being .

Many other stateless lids are in the process of allying for citizenship , but its only usually granted when they finish schooling at 16 .

There are some Westerners who consider these stateless kids to be "undesirables" , the Thai Government is making it easier for the stateless kids to become Thai citizens and more difficult for Westerners to live in Thailand , which kind of shows who the Thai Gov consider to be "undesirables" and who they want to live in Thailand 

Yes but I’m not one of those who think they are undesirable as I have lived amongst many for years and know their parents. I really do wish my sons friend who is THAI Yai (mom) and Japanese (dad) could get it as he really deserves it. Smart kid with good grades and played basketball on the school team. I think most or all should be allowed citizenship and there should be no allowance set as in you finish school you can now get it. I think they have no choice and cannot kick out the stateless mountain kids even though they would love to. Racism is still there. As for the foreign man and woman, yes they are definitely showing a distaste and making it so much more not easy. Mostly in the retiree section as no real connection to be here except love being here as I see it. Doesn’t mean us foreigners with wives and  kids won’t be strapped on the chopping block soon, because in reality, I really think they are or can be extremely harsh and can turn a blind eye to anything with any circumstance. Just unfortunate the way it is. One of my best friends is a thai factory owner and we talk all the time.