Hong Kong Visa Trip

I am thinking of a Visa trip next week to Hong Kong. So far only 1 posting here that says "avoid HK! they will reject you!" but only from one person who does not give his specifics.

I have been in Thailand for 9 months and have 3 visas and extensions (my 3rd visa/ext expires end of this month). I am an American, 35 with my own income.

Any other HK news? Should I just give up and go to KL?

I also can say I had no problem with HK. Just picked up my passport today with a new two month tourist visa. And I have been doing monthly border runs for over 3 years. You can only pick up your passport in the morning. You have to have a photocopy of the picture page of your passport and a photocopy of the page with the HK entry stamp.

The photocopy shop is located on the street level of the Lippo building, not the BOA building as someone else has said.

Edited by joka

Can anyone tell me why the HK Thai embassy visa application form does not have a Type O selection on it ?

I travel through KL regularly , but figure a trip to HK with the TW may be fun . Never been there myself either , so would be interested to have a look around . Just don't want to return without a Non Immigrant Type "O" visa .

Ticket / hotel prices seem reasonable at 801USD Flying Emirates & Staying at the Eaton Hotel for 3 nights .

Any info on what else I need to take to apply would be greatly appreciated too .

Thanks in advance ,

Jim.

visa_20form.pdf

HK is no problem at all for B or O Visa - whils there visit my old Pub in Wanchai - Old China Hand Lockhard Rd

Sounds like a plan starting to develope . Is this pub anywhere near Nathan Road ? Are Taxi's expensive , Are the roads choked with Traffic?

All info much appreciated Thanks ,

Jim .

No, it's nowhere near Nathan Road. It's on HK Island, on Lockhart Road near the junction with Luard Road in Wan Chai. Lots of good bars/pubs around there, but just stay out of the girly bars at all costs.

Taxis are relatively cheap in HK. But you can get around on public transport very easily (and very cheaply). If crossing the harbour, do not go by taxi. If you are staying somewhere Nathan Road it will be faster and a *lot* cheaper by MTR (underground train).

As for traffic, if you are taking taxis, just don't cross the harbour in one, and avoid 7-10 in the morning, and 5-8 at night and you should be OK.

I also can say I had no problem with HK. Just picked up my passport today with a new two month tourist visa. And I have been doing monthly border runs for over 3 years. You can only pick up your passport in the morning. You have to have a photocopy of the picture page of your passport and a photocopy of the page with the HK entry stamp.

The photocopy shop is located on the street level of the Lippo building, not the BOA building as someone else has said.

Can you tell me if you needed, in HK, to present a plane Ticket OUT of Thailand for 3 months onward (June)? A friend went to Ghuangzho and they made him get one. He had to run to a netcafe and buy a quick cheap ticket BKK to KL (which he wont use).

Thanks for the info.

Can you tell me if you needed, in HK, to present a plane Ticket OUT of Thailand for 3 months onward (June)? A friend went to Ghuangzho and they made him get one. He had to run to a netcafe and buy a quick cheap ticket BKK to KL (which he wont use).

Thanks for the info.

I did not need a ticket. May depend on what country you are coming from (passport). They did not seem quite interested. Not in Hong Kong or Shanghai

• 3 weeks later...

Just to confirm that the above info is still valid as I just picked up a 2 month Tourist Visa with no problems. The Consulate is in the Fairmont building and if you take the MTR to Admiralty station you should be able to follow the signs and use the walkways to get there (by the way passing through the Lippo building if you need copies it is at the ground floor graphics store $1hk each). I did make a copy of my outbound ticket from Thailand, but am not sure if it was needed, they kept the copy though. Office is open from 9:30 to 12:30, I arrived at 11:30 and was third in line. Next day picking up the visa I arrived at 12:15 and went directly to the counter, no problem. The visa cost $200hk and you pay when you submit the application. Additionally, and maybe because the place was not too busy, I found the staff friendly and helpful despite some other posts to the contrary.

ps. slightly off topic, the first time I went I took a taxi and the driver just could not understand what was Cotton Tree Drive (consulate address). Eventually I had to talk to two different people using his cell phone to get them to translate. I was coming from Causeway Bay and by the time we were en route, it was clear that Cotton Tree Drive is only of the most clearly marked roads with a big road sign and arrow every few hundred meters. So, if you take a taxi and the guy doesn't understand, just say Admiralty and try to point to the signs (can't guarantee that will work though!!!).