Britain's Conservatives in fourth place in EU election poll, Farage leads

rooster59

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, vogie said:

The French would say au revoir.????

While as a stand-alone statement, this is accurate, but your post was as follows: do you think that the EU would be willing to extend any further extensions, I think they would say "auvoir".

You are talking about the EU. I picked France as being one in that bloc as is the UK. Therefore France would say au revoir. And the UK would say goodbye (politely!).

Apologies accepted. In your own time.

31 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Read the words if the late jean monnet..one of the founders of the now infamous eu.
Also..thro the years..treaties have been signed..what do you think that they were about??

Not interested in your hyperbolic propaganda. Moving forward some reasonable analysis...

https://www.academia.edu/4385302/Does_the_EU_s_decision-making_challenge_member_states_sovereignty

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

"United States of Europe" - only speculation. By comparison, tell me what bureaucrats are elected in the UK? Also...

https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2017/07/14/does-it-make-sense-to-refer-to-eu-officials-as-unelected-bureaucrats

No comparison - most of the EU "civil servants" work for the directly Commission but it's very hard to discover what they actually do. The UK Civil Service is nationwide with large departmentments including HMRC and DWP. 

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

You are talking about the EU. I picked France as being one in that bloc as is the UK. Therefore France would say au revoir. And the UK would say goodbye (politely!).

Au revoir strictly speaking means "Until I see you next time". If they really meant "Hope I never see you again" they would use adieu

34 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Nige certainly ripped Andy a new butthole.  

More accurately Farage was using attack as a form of defence. The interviewer was endeavouring to confirm Farage ongoing support for prior expressed views is relevant. Farage saying he will not present a manifesto for the UK public to hold him to account is ridiculous. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-andrew-marr-show-brexit-party-polls-interview-bbc-a8910206.html

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Tories now in fifth place, polling below the Greens ! 

D6Z3KtIW4AEA97i.jpg

I think is reasonable to assume that whilst the Tories have lost lots of votes to the Brexshit party, the vast majority of Labour votes have gone to the Greens and the Libdems. In fact nearly all of them by these figures. I have read some evidence to support this view. This is not 100% of course, presumably there are many don't knows, and a few sad racists in UKIP.

As a previous poster said, the point is that MEPs have no effect on domestic politics at all. This is the perfect opportunity for a cost free protest vote. The Tories - even the brain dead ones - are never going to call GE, so next GE is years away, and a week is a long time in politics. Farage can sit in Bruselles, very occasionally as he does, collect his pay and provide an object of total ridicule for our continental friends, but it will all be forgotten very soon. 34% may appear impressive, but even with some Tories and Labour supporters - the ones that have not already left for the protest vote - it gets nowhere near the 50% needed. Remain are still well ahead in the overall popularity stakes, for what looks increasingly likely will be a 2nd referendum. MPs - who generally speaking are more intelligent (However venal they may be) than the average voter, have made it blindingly clear that they will not see the UK economy destroyed by a hard Brexit.

3 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I think is reasonable to assume that whilst the Tories have lost lots of votes to the Brexshit party, the vast majority of Labour votes have gone to the Greens and the Libdems. In fact nearly all of them by these figures. I have read some evidence to support this view. This is not 100% of course, presumably there are many don't knows, and a few sad racists in UKIP.

As a previous poster said, the point is that MEPs have no effect on domestic politics at all. This is the perfect opportunity for a cost free protest vote. The Tories - even the brain dead ones - are never going to call GE, so next GE is years away, and a week is a long time in politics. Farage can sit in Bruselles, very occasionally as he does, collect his pay and provide an object of total ridicule for our continental friends, but it will all be forgotten very soon. 34% may appear impressive, but even with some Tories and Labour supporters - the ones that have not already left for the protest vote - it gets nowhere near the 50% needed. Remain are still well ahead in the overall popularity stakes, for what looks increasingly likely will be a 2nd referendum. MPs - who generally speaking are more intelligent (However venal they may be) than the average voter, have made it blindingly clear that they will not see the UK economy destroyed by a hard Brexit.

MEPs might have little effect on domestic politics but the EU Parliament vote will. 

What overall popularity stakes, are remain ahead in? 

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

MEPs might have little effect on domestic politics but the EU Parliament vote will. 

What overall popularity stakes, are remain ahead in? 

Posted quite often here, yougov poll of polls since 2016, currently Remain 51% Leave 45% if I remember right. Cant search for it now - starting work.

Just now, Nigel Garvie said:

Posted quite often here, yougov poll of polls since 2016, currently Remain 51% Leave 45% if I remember right. Cant search for it now - starting work.

Ah! You guv!

5 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

so next GE is years away, 

Remain are still well ahead in the overall popularity stakes, for what looks increasingly likely will be a 2nd referendum.

they will not see the UK economy destroyed by a hard Brexit.

Both CON and LAB will do all they can to avoid a GE now because they are all in fear of losing their cushy seats and 80k pa ++. 

The graph shows Leavers to the well ahead in the popularity stakes - that's the turquoise Brexit Party in front. Next Thursday will be the '2nd referendum' and the Brexit Party will run away with it.

Neither 'they' nor anybody else will see the UK economy destroyed by a hard Brexit. A post-exit UK economy will survive and thrive, en better than it is doing now, despite the uncertainty created by Remainers.  

On 5/12/2019 at 11:24 AM, malagateddy said:

Go and live in likes of Bradford..Blackburn..the Govanhill area of Glasgow for maybe 6 months..think you will.." change your tune ".

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Exactly! And how many of the immigrants you are complaining about at European in origin?

Leaving the EU won't do diddly squat about that. And if commie Corbyn and his ex-lover Abbot get in, pandering to them will be much worse.

17 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

So same poll results as before Brexit won.

Maybe the polls are still wrong or still fixed.

14 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Both CON and LAB will do all they can to avoid a GE now because they are all in fear of losing their cushy seats and 80k pa ++. 

The graph shows Leavers to the well ahead in the popularity stakes - that's the turquoise Brexit Party in front. Next Thursday will be the '2nd referendum' and the Brexit Party will run away with it.

Neither 'they' nor anybody else will see the UK economy destroyed by a hard Brexit. A post-exit UK economy will survive and thrive, en better than it is doing now, despite the uncertainty created by Remainers.  

Have you read the Brexit party manifesto? Especially the bits on WTO rules and the economy?

8 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Indeed. He didn't want to discuss his complete turn about on somethings; or anything he'd previously said; or explain his position on the NHS and replacing it with private health insurance - which he'll easily be able to afford but screw vast numbers who can't!

He did admit his party have no manifesto, do not produce any ideas or comments on how they would run anything. All he wants to waffle on about his 'democracy" - well his version of it and his own importance.

And people support a one-trick party, headed by a spiv, who has seemingly no idea about anything other than "it's all the EU's fault and leaving will instantly solve every problem we have". Says a lot about Breixteers!

18 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed. He didn't want to discuss his complete turn about on somethings; or anything he'd previously said; or explain his position on the NHS and replacing it with private health insurance - which he'll easily be able to afford but screw vast numbers who can't!

He did admit his party have no manifesto, do not produce any ideas or comments on how they would run anything. All he wants to waffle on about his 'democracy" - well his version of it and his own importance.

And people support a one-trick party, headed by a spiv, who has seemingly no idea about anything other than "it's all the EU's fault and leaving will instantly solve every problem we have". Says a lot about Breixteers!

How much did the manifestos of both labour and conservative count for at the last election?

I think Nigel's one aim is to campaign on the referendum mandate to make us a free, independant, self governing, democratic country everything else is superfluous.

Why the big interest in Brexit's manifesto at the next GE pre EU election, with no concern about manifestos of the other parties going into the EU election.....That's one sided. I think Labour and Torys manifestos for a GE will be much more difficult to write than Brexit. 

How do you feel they will drop out?

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Thrive...ha ha...barely anyone other than hard line brexiteer dreamers think so

Archived