Britain's Conservatives in fourth place in EU election poll, Farage leads

rooster59

Britain's Conservatives in fourth place in EU election poll, Farage leads

800x800 (4).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage speaks during a Brexit Party campaign event in Houghton-le-Spring, Britain, May 11, 2019. REUTERS/Scott Heppell/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Theresa May's Conservative Party has fallen into fourth place in a poll on voting intentions for the European elections, well behind Nigel Farage's new Brexit Party which has more support than Britain's traditionally two biggest parties combined.

According to the latest Opinium poll for the Observer newspaper, Farage's newly formed party is on 34% of the vote ahead of the May 23 election that is being held because Britain failed to leave the European Union as expected in March.

The poll put Labour in second place on 21% while the prime minister's Conservatives are back in fourth on 11%. The pro-EU Liberal Democrats, the most popular party to explicitly call for a second referendum to reverse Brexit, are on 12%.

Britain's two biggest parties endured a drubbing at the polls this month when voters expressed their frustration with the Brexit deadlock at local elections.

Farage, whose former party UKIP is credited by many with forcing Britain's 2016 referendum on EU membership, launched his new party in April, threatening to take on Britain's political leaders who he accused of betraying the vote to leave.

May has been forced to open talks with the opposition Labour Party to find a compromise on Brexit after lawmakers heavily rejected her EU withdrawal deal three times.

Britain is now due to leave the bloc in October but with parliament split over the terms, it remains unclear how or whether it will.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-12

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not my dog fight but .............................................. I haven't been in Britain since 1973, holiday, work and travel then for 18 months. It seems that the old "<deleted> begin at Calais" mob are still active. I have no idea of the economics of staying or leaving but the reasons need to be divorced from chauvinism.

Am I the only person who thinks Farage is a smooth operating creep?

Not my dog fight but .............................................. I haven't been in Britain since 1973, holiday, work and travel then for 18 months. It seems that the old " begin at Calais" mob are still active. I have no idea of the economics of staying or leaving but the reasons need to be divorced from chauvinism.
Go and live in likes of Bradford..Blackburn..the Govanhill area of Glasgow for maybe 6 months..think you will.." change your tune ".

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I thought all the gullible, stupid, racist Brexiteers had changed their minds and wanted to stay.

How can this be happening?

Because the youngsters who can now vote and have seen the light in which their older friends and relatives suffer financially because of EU scab labour have come to obvious conclusion that a future in the EU will do them no more favours than it's done their fathers in the here and now.

'Stupid uneducated' working class people represent the vast majority of the British population and they're the ones supporting Farage and the Brexit Party. Let's hope Farage sticks with it this time.

I thought all the gullible, stupid, racist Brexiteers had changed their minds and wanted to stay.
Now then..do not DARE to call my fellow Brexiteers racists..all we want is to escape from an attempt by unelected autocratic jobsworths over in brussels who's ultimate aim is to have.." a united states of europe.
We are also sick of having rather undesirable eu immigrants who's core activity is child prostitution..hard drugs..people trafficking..protection rackets..etc etc.
Remember this also..lined up to join the inglorious eu are countries like albania. serbia..bosnia..just how many QUALITY eu immigrants will flock to the UK from these countries???
Answers on a postcard please.tapatalk_1557491069942.jpegtapatalk_1557405965523.jpegtapatalk_1556504588916.jpeg

4 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

How would leaving the EU change anything in Blackburn or Bradford?

Because we could then ignore Merkel's demands that we take in more of her gimmegrants than we've already got of our own and make a bad situation even worse.

And people with an EU passport will no longer be able to come to the UK with their hands out turning places like Bradford, Blackburn and London in to even bigger sh!tholes than they already are.

Whiteout the contribution of the U.K. I don't think the rest of the E.U. will have to pay more.

I believe the countries which receive support will get less.

Pretty sure however the salaries of the M.E.P'S won't be adapted.

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

And ChangeUK behind UKIP.????????

IMG_20190512_115805.jpg

How does it help you with your Brexit though? Should this be the result, do you really think parliament would change their mind and go for a hard Brexit? I doubt it. It’ll be another Pyrrhic victory Brexiteers can moan about: “but we won”. 

1 hour ago, Cats4ever said:

Not my dog fight but .............................................. I haven't been in Britain since 1973, holiday, work and travel then for 18 months. It seems that the old "<deleted> begin at Calais" mob are still active. I have no idea of the economics of staying or leaving but the reasons need to be divorced from chauvinism.

They're all creepy in different ways, with some more than others. But we need a smooth operator right now.

10 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

How does it help you with your Brexit though? Should this be the result, do you really think parliament would change their mind and go for a hard Brexit? I doubt it. It’ll be another Pyrrhic victory Brexiteers can moan about: “but we won”. 

This is also about the next GE, which is still possible before the end of October. The EU parliament vote will influence Brexit and the next GE, whenever they happen.

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

They're all creepy in different ways, with some more than others. But we need a smooth operator right now.

Cameron ........ pigs head.

May ................. no children.

Farage ........... imported wife.

Corbyn ........... 2nd imported wife. 

No normal people in politics these days, in the UK or anywhere else.

Sometimes I really wonder how they can claim to 'represent the people'.

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I think it is more likely that May and Corbyn would agree a deal sanctioned by the EU that would pass parliament, because neither party would want Farage as a bed-mate, and nor would the EU. And both leaders have nothing to lose as May will step down and Corbyn will look forward to the next election.

That's one scenario. There is always the prospect of May refusing to bend on her red lines, and insist that alternative solutions be tabled in parliament, including a referendum vote.  As things stand I think that could be the eventual outcome. And if that happened, I can see another voting stalemate, because parliament will never sanction a 'no deal'.

Thus May would withdraw Article 50, dissolve parliament, and step down.   

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Cameron ........ pigs head.

May ................. no children.

Farage ........... imported wife.

Corbyn ........... 2nd imported wife. 

No normal people in politics these days, in the UK or anywhere else.

Sometimes I really wonder how they can claim to 'represent the people'.

but was the pig imported?

37 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

How can it not help Brexit, if Nigel Farage and the rest of his contingent make enough noise in Brussels, do you think that the EU would be willing to extend any further extensions, I think they would say "aurevoir"

1 hour ago, malagateddy said:

Go and live in likes of Bradford..Blackburn..the Govanhill area of Glasgow for maybe 6 months..think you will.." change your tune ".

Lol. It has nothing to do with the EU. Non British people in these areas originate from the Indian subcontinent. It is strictly a 'former British Empire' issue. You know, the kind of links Brexiters want to develop again.

11 minutes ago, vogie said:

How can it not help Brexit, if Nigel Farage and the rest of his contingent make enough noise in Brussels, do you think that the EU would be willing to extend any further extensions, I think they would say "auvoir"

I don't think there's any action in the universe that would make them let go of the UK.

We are one of the four countries funding the entire mess.

It'd actually be better for us to hard Brexit, then at a later date apply to join as a country like Greece, that needs funding.

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

How can it not help Brexit, if Nigel Farage and the rest of his contingent make enough noise in Brussels, do you think that the EU would be willing to extend any further extensions, I think they would say "auvoir"

France would say au revoir.

"Britain's two biggest parties endured a drubbing at the polls this month when voters expressed their frustration with the Brexit deadlock at local elections."

Nothing to do with the "deadlock" more because of the main parties, especially the Tories, failing to carry out the democratic wishes of the people by not delivering Brexit three years after it was voted for in the referendum. People are also livid that leaving on WTO rules has been voted out by parliament, effectively putting the EU in a very powerful position in negotiations.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think there's any action in the universe that would make them let go of the UK.

We are one of the four countries funding the entire mess.

I'd actually be better for us to hard Brexit, then at a later date apply to join as a country like Greece, that needs funding.

Post of the day. That cracked me up.

1 hour ago, Cats4ever said:

YES

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I'm waiting for Vince Cable to enlighten us with another pearl of wisdom.

Archived