Preparing to leave the UK long term - offshore banking

18 hours ago, torrow said:

Yes most transactions are electronic but what happens when the bank issues a new card for instance? My accounts are registered at a property I will no longer own therefore I need to change my address. My understanding is, you need a UK address which I will no longer have.

My understanding is, Barclays offshore will accept an address in Thailand. I have no other reason to have an offshore account.

Nationwide will accept a Thai address.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I'm sure you already know this but just in case, be aware HSBC Middle East and HSBC Expat are not the same.

I know. One is in Jersey and one is in the UAE. My accounts are linked though. Meaning I can move money from my UAE account to my expat account. 

On 5/13/2019 at 1:34 PM, torrow said:

I have money in my UK bank accounts I don't want to bring to Thailand. I'm assuming no permanent UK address will be a problem therefore I'm looking at offshore banking.

you will find that 1) its often no problem for an onshore uk bank to handle a non Dom address.. 2) offshore banking are clamping down and Thailand appears 'red flagged' I had barclays jersey HNW end our banking relationship after 2 decades banking with them and v healthy cash deposits a couple of years back and then struggled to establish the same kind of private / relationship manager type banking I wanted with lloyds and others.. Ultimately by using a western address I also have I was able to re-establish things (santander premier) but I no longer use my Thai addresses. 

• Like 1

Talked to a guy a few years ago who used Bangkok Bank London to transfer money from his UK account to Thailand each month, but not sure if that still works. Charles Schwab has an international account with banking based in I think Singapore, but the opening balance is much higher than a similar USA account. However, Schwab Bank does not charge a fee for foreign bank ATM debit card withdrawals at their end and refunds the foreign bank fees (up to a limit each month). Also maybe need an inexpensive way to make phone calls back to the UK. I am from the USA and use MagicJack via the Internet (uses my old USA number) which was setup prior to moving.