Burning A Dvd

altman

i have burned many dvd's but just today i have come up against two that present problems. i will describe one as it will solve the problem for the other as well.

i copy a dvd one of two ways. if the original dvd has .vob files in the video folder i use the TMPGEnc DVD Author program to burn a new dvd directly off of the original.

if the original does not have the .vob files, or there is something else awry, then i use the 'DVD Shrink' program to copy it to my hard drive and then use the TMPGEnc DVD Author program to burn to dvd disk.

i am trying to copy 'triumph of the will'. it does have the original .vob files, but it is a 7.5 GB disk. the dvd disks which i copy to are about 4.7GB. so i can not use TMPGEnc DVD Author to burn directly.

the DVD Shrink program will allow for compressing the original and it does show the various files which make up the original. i can access the contents of the original so i know which ones i want, but i don't know which ones are the correct menu files or which might be otherwise important to making a readable copy after i capture the original dvd to my HD.

i don't want to compress the original since part of the magic of this film is the extra-ordinary clarity and contrast, which would be lost in compressing.

so...

is there another program i could use? nero is on my machine. i have used it, but don't like it. not sure if it would work for this.

is there a way to drop some files without damaging the final result? can i drop all the .bup and .ifo file and still have a readble disk after also dropping some .vob files?

does this make sense? ask me questions to clarify if you need.

i have just now thought of using the TMPGEnc DVD Author to make a new video project and create new menus. so while you are responding with your ideas i will be pursuing this avenue.

thanks

Or you could consider the legal option of buying another copy :o

Have a look at DVD2ONE it has an option for 'movie only' which may then fit on a regular writable DVD, or you could try a double-layer DVD-R (if your drive can burn them) 9+ Gigs on one disk.

thanks for the pointers. i'll follow through.

i wouldn't mind just buying another copy, but i got this one in burma and i won't be going back there for another couple of months. but waiting to do that is still probably going to be cheaper than buying a new burner drive.

As Tywais indicated, IFO edit is a good little program but it requires some learning. In your situation, the easiest solution is to buy a Dual Layer DVD burner & be done with it.

How can I tell if the DVD burner on my PC is dual layer?

Is it not possible to buy blank DVDR's that are more than 4.7GB?

As Tywais indicated, IFO edit is a good little program but it requires some learning. In your situation, the easiest solution is to buy a Dual Layer DVD burner & be done with it.

How can I tell if the DVD burner on my PC is dual layer?

Is it not possible to buy blank DVDR's that are more than 4.7GB?

On the door of my DVD writer on the right side of the other labels it says 'dual layer'. As for blank dual layer DVDs, yes you can buy them but quite expensive (last time I looked about a year ago). Gives you 9GB+ on one DVD.

Last time I bought (about 6 - 7 months ago), a dual-layer disk cost me between 125 - 175 baht. Don't remember exact amount (branded disk, think either Sony or Phillips). So, now it should definitely be cheaper.