You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

2nd Bangkok Bank account - Pattaya

Suradit69

Just a note on my experience opening a Bangkok Bank account in Pattaya which may provide encouragement for anyone else contemplating (and possibly dreading) doing the same thing. Either I was incredibly lucky or the chore isn't nearly as daunting as some people make it out to be.

I've had a savings account at the Phra Tamnak office in Pattaya for about 20 years. Obviously twenty years ago
opening an account was easier than it is today, at least based on threads posted on TV.

Since next year I want to use the Baht 800,000 in the bank method for my retirement extension renewal, I decided it would be safer to have a second account to hold that money. By safer I mean I would be less likely to get carried away spending money.

I decided to give a branch east of Sukhumvit a try since I now live in a house on the "dark side." From everything I've read, even if you already have an account with them, it can be a hassle to open another account. I randomly chose the BB branch on the east side of Sukhumvit across a smallish soi from Num Chai.

I simply said I wanted to open a second account to keep money for immigrations.  She instantly understood what I meant. Handed her only my nearly full bank book from the Phra Tamnak branch and my passport ... and later signed 101 things and provided my SS# which they want/need for Americans.

All she asked was:
1) did I want a fixed rate account? No.
2. Did I want an ATM card? No.
3. Would I like her to replace the bank book for my Phra Tamnak branch account since it was almost full? Yes.

After that arduous interrogation she opened the second account, transferred Baht 700,000 (I'll top iy up in the next month or two) from my present account to the new account, replaced my old bank book with a new one and gave me a fresh bank book for the new account with the transfer duly recorded.

Based on things I've read here (to be fair, there have been some posts on TV from people who also encountered no problems opening accounts at the bank of their choosing), I was expecting a tedious run around and requirements for whatever in the way of documentation. It's nice when things are incredibly simple and quickly accomplished.

Thanks for the report. Glad things went well. This only proves that the whining that occurs on TVF is largely simple Thai bashing, or from people who did not silupply the required documentation in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Thanks for the report. Glad things went well. This only proves that the whining that occurs on TVF is largely simple Thai bashing, or from people who did not silupply the required documentation in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not really, Bangkok Bank have no problems opening additional accounts for those with existing accounts.

New accounts can be sometimes be a pia depending on the bank or the branch.

17 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

1) did I want a fixed rate account? No.

Wouldn't have hurt to put the money in a fixed deposit account.

It earns a few Baht more and is perfectly accepted at immigration.

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

Wouldn't have hurt to put the money in a fixed deposit account.

It earns a few Baht more and is perfectly accepted at immigration.

I did think about that, but couldn't recall whether Jomtien readily accepted such accounts. Also I still need to add 100,000 in the next month or so and wasn't sure if such accounts were flexible in receiving deposits after the initial amount was deposited.. 

Obviously I didn't do my homework before going to the bank. Anyway, I'm just happy that I was able to segregate the money without any hassle.

16 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Not really, Bangkok Bank have no problems opening additional accounts for those with existing accounts.

You may be right, but I'm pretty sure I've read reports of people wanting to open an additional account who were made to jump through hoops, especially Americans because of the reporting requirement of the US government.

I definitely have read positive reports from people who found no problem opening a first or second account, but most of posts that I've read made it sound like they were either refused outright or required to comply with so called "rules" that varied from one branch to another. 

The only documentation I supplied was my passport and existing bank book. That seemed at odds with what I've read in other threads. No proof of address (actually my address has changed from the one they had on record) or questions about visa status. She did eventually look in my passport, but she had already agreed to open the new account before that and I never saw her look at anything other than the ID page of the passport.  etc.

Edited by Suradit69

Actually interesting to me from the perspective that your new branch was willing and able to  transfer funds from the other branch to facilitate new account opening at theirs, all in one shot. 

Glad you got it done so easily and efficiently.  Keeping larger pots of money in an account w/o ATM access and limited online permissions, is a good move. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Actually interesting to me from the perspective that your new branch was willing and able to  transfer funds from the other branch to facilitate new account opening at theirs, all in one shot. 

Funds don't sit with a particular branch the last time I looked.

• Like 1

Just now, spaceshuttle said:

You wouldn't think that normally, but at times it certainly does seem like branches operate like franchises.   And then the inter-province transaction fees..... 

I've asked 2 BKK Branches nearer to where we live now, about shifting my current BKK Bank "home" branch to theirs - closer, convenient, etc.   Existing branch about 50km away, but still same province.

Both times same answer - close the other accounts, walk the money to the new branch, open new accounts.  Or leave the other accounts open, up to me of course. 

Asked same question at Krungsi, same answer.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, spaceshuttle said:

How would you know?  How did you look? 

Your money is in a bank account that starts with a two or three digit bank "branch" code....that is your home branch....to do certain banking transaction/updates they can usually only be done at that home branch.  It varies among Thai banks as to what issues only your home branch can work.  And when moving money from that account in branch XYZ you can get into inter-province/inter banking region transfer fees as your home branch is where you money is assigned to/located.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Your money is in a bank account that starts with a two or three digit bank "branch" code....that is your home branch....to do certain banking transaction/updates they can usually only be done at that home branch.  It varies among Thai banks as to what issues only your home branch can work.  And when moving money from that account in branch XYZ you can get into inter-province/inter banking region transfer fees as your home branch is where you money is assigned to/located.

I understand where you're coming from but funds still sit with Bangkok Bank Thailand which is why the OP didn't have any issue moving funds across to his new account. 

Just now, Pib said:

OPs experience is pretty nice though! 

Better yet, do away with this "home" branch thing altogether.   And house books.  And bank books, which I had forgotten about from my youth until moving to Thailand.  Opened my first BKK Bank acct, they handed me a bank book, and a stuffed animal, or maybe it was an umbrella.  ????

28 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Both times same answer - close the other accounts, walk the money to the new branch, open new accounts.  Or leave the other accounts open, up to me of course. 

Which is absolutely laughable and shows the tellers haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

The OP was fortunate that he came across someone that knew that it was a simple matter of transferring funds from account number 1234567890 to 0987654321.  The teller didn't perform any minor miracles here just transferred from one to the other.

36 minutes ago, spaceshuttle said:

Which is absolutely laughable and shows the tellers haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

The OP was fortunate that he came across someone that knew that it was a simple matter of transferring funds from account number 1234567890 to 0987654321.  The teller didn't perform any minor miracles here just transferred from one to the other.

The thing that surprised me the most, aside from the ease and speed that everything was accomplished, was that she was able to issue me a new bank passbook for an account at a different branch. I had asked at the BB branch at Big C extra if I had to go back to the Phra Tamnak branch to get a new book for the full one and was told that I would have to,

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

The thing that surprised me the most, aside from the ease and speed that everything was accomplished, was that she was able to issue me a new bank passbook for an account at a different branch. I had ask at the BB branch at Big C extra if I had to go back to the Phra Tamnak branch to get a new book for the full one and was told that I would have to,

Like I said Bangkok Bank Thailand is just that, one big branch. It's hard for some to get their head around the concept, not least their own staff. 

Glad you found a competent staff member for a change, Suradit69.

I nearly spat my Singha out at the previous poster's comment having been informed to withdraw cash from one branch and walk it around the corner to the other.  ????

Indeed. 

Agreed, I perked up when I read the OP only because of my experiences dealing with banks here, not just on this "home" branch xfer issue.   Not a deal breaker for me, do most everything online anyway, loathe to enter a bank branch.

Just now, 55Jay said:

Indeed. 

Agreed, I perked up when I read the OP only because of my experiences dealing with banks here, not just on this "home" branch xfer issue.   Not a deal breaker for me, do most everything online anyway, loathe to enter a bank branch.

Thing is you can't argue with them as you'll only hear cannot, 55Jay. 

• Haha 1

I think the OP's experience is going to be repeated thousands of times. Banks are surely aware that retirees are choosing to deposit 800k instead of using the monthly income method. This has been discussed ad infinitum on various other threads on TV. If a bank doesn't take someone's cash another one will. It is a no brainer for them.

Thing is you can't argue with them as you'll only hear cannot, 55Jay. 

LOL, yep.  Not always true, though.  I hit the "Can Not" wall trying to open my first BKK Bank account several years ago.  Wife did the heavy lifting but obvious this branch, a bit out of town, wasn't used to dealing with foreigners.  They had no idea what a Non-O was, so we got a canned answer, "Tourist.  Can not".   Which means go away, I don't want to deal with this.

Took the wife quite a while but the bank employee finally called "someone" as we sat there.  Got really quiet, then into the phone, "Kha.  Kha.  Chai, Khaaaaaa".  And then it was all good. 

Exactly the same process with a small Krungsi branch a few months later, but took a lot longer to break through the fog.

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Exactly the same process with a small Krungsi branch a few months later, but took a lot longer to break through the fog.

Absolutely agree that it's not always. Loving the 'fog', LOL.

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Took the wife quite a while but the bank employee finally called "someone" as we sat there. 

That "someone" is the giant pulsating brain located in the basement of HQ in Bangkok which they can't ignore. That they picked up the phone was a minor miracle in itself.

• Haha 2

Absolutely agree that it's not always. Loving the 'fog', LOL.

That "someone" is the giant pulsating brain located in the basement of HQ in Bangkok which they can't ignore. That they picked up the phone was a minor miracle in itself.

Ha ha, good one!  Just heard the computer voice of "Hal 9000" from that film, A Bangkok Bank Odyssey 2001".  Nice joking around with you, take care.  ///

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 5/14/2019 at 3:49 PM, Thailand said:

Wouldn't open one for me. when I wanted to deposit my 800,000 locally ,.despite having had one in Buriram for 4 years. Treated me like a new customer and refused without full paperwork. Letter from Embassy or US Bank SWIFT message ...

A good idea is for the 2nd account to be a "fixed deposit account". It still earns 1 or 1.5% interest. Also, in case of fraud it is not easy to wipe out unlike the normal savings account with its ATM card attached.

22 hours ago, johng said:

You didn't even need a "letter of residence" from Immigration ?   ????

No,. Just passport and bank book for my other account.  I did update or confirm residential address, phone number and provided US social security number, but just verbally. No proof or documents required.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1