Get O-A visa now - Before health insurance requirement?

I currently have a 12 month extension to stay based on retirement and intend to apply for O-A visa early (London) and do this before the July 1st introduction of insurance requirement.

1. If I fly back to Thailand after July 1st will there will be any requirement to produce health insurance at immigration when entering Thailand?

2. I will then leave Thailand and re entering just before the visa expires in order to provide an extra 12 months permission to stay. Will there be any requirement to have proof of insurance when re entering Thailand?

I am guessing here that - After buying any insurance and during the review period, some travellers insurance policies will also have the option to cancel. Assuming this is possible - It then becomes difficult for detection of the cancellation at the entry points?

• Like 2

Would travel insurance be accepted as well as health insurance? There is a difference. I think travel insurance might be accepted since coverage is normally 3 million baht and provides for medical evacuation back to ones home-country; however, it doesn't cover illnesses. If I were to be diagnosed with a catastrophic health condition, I would either go back home or pay out of pocket for treatment in Thailand. If unsuccessful, I have enough for palliative care at hospice before I die and go up in smoke at the local temple. We eventually have to go sometime.

Edited by Uptooyoo
clarification

Just doing a quick search and getting a quote for travel and health insurance combined policy - The first quote provided does give a cooling off period and hence once you have the original policy documents it becomes difficult to detect and hence for many O-A applications there might be a workaround if they do not wish to get health coverage on their trip using the O-A visa method.

(Cancelation policy copy and paste below)

"You have a ‘cooling off’ period where should you decide that you find that the terms and conditions do not meet your requirements and provided you have not travelled or claimed on the policy. You can do this by calling World First on 0345 90 80 161 within 14 days of purchase to obtain a full refund of the premium paid."

• Like 1

For any that are applying for O-A visa in the UK, this is further info on possible cancellation workaround if required on applications post-July 1st 2019

This is directly from the UK citizens advice site:

Main points: 

a). There are 14 days for a cooling off period that must be provided by law.

b). Cancelling inside the cooling off period there could be a small administration fee (I did a quick check that shows many do not).

c) Cancelling after the cooling off period there is likely to be an administration fee:

(copy and paste is below - Highlights made by me)

Cancelling during the cooling-off period

You may want to cancel an insurance policy if you have just bought it and have changed your mind. By law, you have a minimum 14-day cooling-off period during which you can cancel the policy for any reason. If you’ve bought life insurance, the cooling-off period is 30 days.

The cooling-off period starts from when the policy begins or when you receive your policy documents, whichever is later. You should get a refund of any premiums you have already paid. However, your insurer may take off a small amount to cover days when the policy was in force. They may also charge you a small administration fee.

Some insurers may give you a longer cooling-off period. If you’re not sure how long your cooling-off period is, you can check the terms of your insurance policy.

If you want to cancel your policy during the cooling-off period you should contact your insurer as soon as possible

The right to cancel during a cooling-off period does not apply to travel insurance that lasts less than one month.

Cancelling after the cooling-off period

If you want to cancel your policy after the cooling-off period you should check your insurance policy. Most insurers will give you a refund if you have not made any claims during the policy year but you will usually have to pay administration fees.

47 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

So then if you cancelled.....you would have no medical insurance if you got sick.

And to quote what you posted....provided you have not travelled........you can get a refund. 

Then what would you do, go to a Thai hospital and do a runner?

The issue for an application for an O-A Visa and whether you purchase medical insurance (or not) could become an optional personal choice if you know a cancellation method might allow you to do this.

The subject of this topic - Is not looking for the reasons why you should get cover, but rather how you can avoid getting cover.

To establish the pros and cons of getting cover is best covered by starting a new topic.

Edited by spambot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spambot said:

The issue for an application for an O-A Visa and whether you purchase medical insurance (or not) could become an optional personal choice if you know a cancellation method might allow you to do this.

The subject of this topic - Is not looking for the reasons why you should get cover, but rather how you can avoid getting cover.

To establish the pros and cons of getting cover is best covered by starting a new topic.

Sorry I misunderstood the subject of your topic. I took it to mean what it said.

Why would you, or anyone, want to avoid getting medical insurance which will pay for any illness or accidents you may incur while living long term in Thailand, and then have to do a runner or start a Go-Fund-Me appeal.

• Like 2

I currently have a 12 month extension to stay based on retirement and intend to apply for O-A visa early (London) and do this before the July 1st introduction of insurance requirement.

1. If I fly back to Thailand after July 1st will there will be any requirement to produce health insurance at immigration when entering Thailand?

2. I will then leave Thailand and re entering just before the visa expires in order to provide an extra 12 months permission to stay. Will there be any requirement to have proof of insurance when re entering Thailand?

Why not just get another Extension of Stay based on retirement?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Some people seem to spend 20 hours in every 24 trying to construct shonky workarounds for anything a bureaucrat might possibly come up with.

Why not just await the details of the new 'scheme' before leaping thru assorted improbable hoops?

My gut feeling in the OP's case is that the crucial factor will be the issue date recorded in his new OA visa. But, as you say, we await further info.

6 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Does anyone know if I were to put another 440,000 in the bank on top of my 800,000, I would be able to avoid having to insure?

You are confusing Non-imm O-A visas obtained from an embassy or consulate in your home country with extensions of permission to stay obtained from an immigration office. Best you leave this topic and take a nap and stop worrying about things that do not concern you.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

You are confusing Non-imm O-A visas obtained from an embassy or consulate in your home country with extensions of permission to stay obtained from an immigration office. Best you leave this topic and take a nap and stop worrying about things that do not concern you.

Any links (official) to your statement?

6 hours ago, spambot said:

I am guessing here that - After buying any insurance and during the review period, some travellers insurance policies will also have the option to cancel. Assuming this is possible - It then becomes difficult for detection of the cancellation at the entry points?

No, but you have just given imigration something to think about.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Because they won't pay (if you're at a mature age and have pre-existing conditions ).

There is an insurer that I found that covered my pre-existing condition, i.e. at age 48 one had a heart attack, stent put in, 7 years later applied for insurance with 2 insurers when I arrived in Thailand, both said no to pre-existing condition, so I gave them the middle finger. Couple of years later went through a broker and we found an insurer who said as the incident occured over 5 years ago and I could prove that no issue has reoccurred since, they covered me for the pre-existing condition for an extra 1,300 baht per month on top of the policy price, fair call I said, and provided them with letters of proof from my Cardiologist and I have had cover for a year now, hopefully if I do end up making a claim down the track the do the right thing and cover me.

The insurer just in case anyone wants to know is David Shield, I am due to start year 2 next month, time to cough up again, cough....cough...

Also, they will insure people up to 64 years of age, i.e. if they get in before their 64th and will continue the cover for life, naturally premiums will go up with age.

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Because they won't pay (if you're at a mature age and have pre-existing conditions ).

I doubt whether they would issue a policy for an over 65 year old who had pre-existing conditions....unless of course, you told them lies on theapplication.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

There are six of them at the website they listed when they announced the mandatory insurance policy. 

https://longstay.tgia.org/

And NONE of them will let you put any year before 1955 into their quote engine.

Full medical would be required, with Bht 7500 refund IF they offer you a policy, at a very high premium.

• Like 1

Just now, wgdanson said:

And NONE of them will let you put any year before 1955 into their quote engine.

Full medical would be required, with Bht 7500 refund IF they offer you a policy, at a very high premium.

I guess you have not tried.  I got into three of them and will try the other three as I get more information from the first three. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

I guess you have not tried.  I got into three of them and will try the other three as I get more information from the first three. 

Sorry Marcus, but I tried ALL of them. And emailed some link, expatmagazinethailand.com and got the answer from that the compulsory insurance is 1000% confirmed for over 50s with O-A Visas, but no information about Retirement Extensions.

Could YOU actually put a year of birth less than 1955?

Sorry Marcus, but I tried ALL of them. And emailed some link, expatmagazinethailand.com and got the answer from that the compulsory insurance is 1000% confirmed for over 50s with O-A Visas, but no information about Retirement Extensions.
Could YOU actually put a year of birth less than 1955?
The insurance requirements are only for OA (from 1 July) or OX visas, so it's hardly surprising.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1