Unofficial solution for marriage / child visa

Today I figured out at Chiang Mai immigration that I am allowed to extend my visa first with 30 days and then with 60 days, at the same day (2 queue numbers / applications). The officer actually asked me why I did not.

This basically means that if one would get 1 tourist visa or single non-o per year, you can make it within the guidelines for over a full calendar year:

1) Single entry 90 days + 30 ext + 60 ext = 180 days.
2) Border run 30 days + 30 ext + 60 ext = 120 days.
3) Border run 30 days + 30 ext = 60 ext = 120 days.

I am still going for the yearly visa myself but I thought this concept might be worth sharing.

Edited by tabarin
  • Haha 1

No, you can get a 30-days "tourist" extension plus a 60 days "visit family" extension at some immigration offices - but ONLY on the tourist-type entries.  Jomtien is one that will do it - I did this once.  But, these days, you'd better have the full-stack of landlord-docs for the 60 day part, if you rent.

On the Non-O 90-day entry, only one 60-day extension would be possible - not a 30-day.

Even so, I'd stick with the Non-O Visas - not do the border-bounces.  Or, at most, do just one/yr.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

No, you can get a 30-days "tourist" extension plus a 60 days "visit family" extension at some immigration offices - but ONLY on the tourist-type entries.  Jomtien is one that will do it - I did this once.  But, these days, you'd better have the full-stack of landlord-docs for the 60 day part, if you rent.

On the Non-O 90-day entry, only one 60-day extension would be possible - not a 30-day.

Even so, I'd stick with the Non-O Visas - not do the border-bounces.  Or, at most, do just one/yr.

Ah ok, well I stand corrected then to get a Tourist 90 day entry for this concept. To do this would be perfectly fine and unlikely to be questioned. 
I have a business passport and the most horrible reputation, I even hold a blacklist 1yr stamp on the 3rd page and I did overstay again on my last entry for 3 days. No issues at all, as long your stay makes sense. Stop that fear mongering. 

Edited by tabarin

1 hour ago, tabarin said:

get a Tourist 90 day entry for this concept

The max for a Tourist Visa is 60-days, which you could then extend for 30 + 60. 

But check at your office - some have reported IOs denying the 30+60 double-extension combination.

1 hour ago, tabarin said:

No issues at all, as long your stay makes sense. Stop that fear mongering. 

"Makes sense" to the IO at the counter, which is not a constant at some entry-points (similar to different rules at different offices). Given the question appeared to be in a "stay in the country almost all the time" context, this could bring on the ire of IOs (denied-entry) at the Poipet/Aranya border, or the Bangkok, Krabi, or Phuket airports, yet would be no problem at most other entry-points.

Denied entry is reported here often, affecting those with a longer-stay history, and entering with any tourist-type entry - though visa-exempt are generally considered more dangerous.  But as you said "border-run" - you could avoid Poipet, carry the 10K Baht, flight-out in 30-days ticket, and hotel-booking, and be OK anywhere else.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The max for a Tourist Visa is 60-days, which you could then extend for 30 + 60. 

But check at your office - some have reported IOs denying the 30+60 double-extension combination.

"Makes sense" to the IO at the counter, which is not a constant at some entry-points (similar to different rules at different offices). Given the question appeared to be in a "stay in the country almost all the time" context, this could bring on the ire of IOs (denied-entry) at the Poipet/Aranya border, or the Bangkok, Krabi, or Phuket airports, yet would be no problem at most other entry-points.

Denied entry is reported here often, affecting those with a longer-stay history, and entering with any tourist-type entry - though visa-exempt are generally considered more dangerous.  But as you said "border-run" - you could avoid Poipet, carry the 10K Baht, flight-out in 30-days ticket, and hotel-booking, and be OK anywhere else.

If you have a sensible reason for your stay, the duration and history does not matter much. 
People getting that problem do often not have a sensible reason to be staying that long, in X way.

Also you would obviously avoid Poipet & Don Muang but even that should be much of an easy, you would only have 2 border runs in 400 days or so and other than that a real visa and extensions.

Mae Sai, Huay Xai, Nong Khai, Mukhadan etc borders never ask you for money or a ticket, doubt they will suddenly do now.
At Mae Sai you would not even be allowed to leave the country if you can not re-enter as you would be stuck in Tachy.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 10:49 PM, tabarin said:

If you have a sensible reason for your stay, the duration and history does not matter much. 
People getting that problem do often not have a sensible reason to be staying that long, in X way.

Also you would obviously avoid Poipet & Don Muang but even that should be much of an easy, you would only have 2 border runs in 400 days or so and other than that a real visa and extensions.

Mae Sai, Huay Xai, Nong Khai, Mukhadan etc borders never ask you for money or a ticket, doubt they will suddenly do now.
At Mae Sai you would not even be allowed to leave the country if you can not re-enter as you would be stuck in Tachy.

Regardless of reason, I would avoid all airports for the tourist-type entries.  Chiang Mai airport is likely ok for the Tourist Visa entry, but have been reported to reject for visa-exempt, sometimes.

It is true that many border-posts don't ask to see the cash and ticket for now.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1