Moving my valid O-A visa to my new Passport?

I had to get a new US passport since mine was full. I took my old and new passports to the consulate in US and they said I needed to start over for an OA in my new passport. 

my O-A is 4 months old and I am in the states at the moment. 

someone else at the consulate said to just bring both passports and show the valid OA in the old passport. I may just go on this and see how things go. 

You will need to use both passports when you enter the country to use your OA visa in your old passport for entry until it expires. Immigration will stamp you into the country in your new passport.

• Like 2

Ha ha, the first person gave you the right answer to the wrong question.

You asked, "How do I move the visa to the new passport?"

They answered, "You would have to obtain a new visa."

The second person saw the issue in its entirety and gave you a solution.

They saw that you had incorrectly assumed you need to move your visa and explained what to do.

3 minutes ago, mitebbots said:

so even tho my old passport has holes stamped in it, the Visa is still valid it looks like. thanks for that. 

The passport being canceled does not cancel any valid visas inside it. You can use your visa until it expires.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mitebbots said:

do I need health insurance?

just kidding!! ????

Thanks again

Just checking. ????

You have one of these ??

Then you just carry/show both passports until it expires.

O-A issued outside Thailand.

image.png.af5ac1a5cec22d565cbf781259759ffb.png

Edited by ubonjoe
edited image to remove personal info

I returned to Bangkok with my old passport containing my original Non-Imm O-A Visa and my new passport.

Immigration stamped my new passport with permission to stay of 7 days only despite my current Extension of Stay in my old passport being valid for a further 4 months. They told me to go to my local Immigration office to get my new passport updated. 

I subsequently went to Hua Hin Immigration where my new passport was updated with details of my original Non-Imm O-A Visa and my permission to stay was updated up until the date of the current extension in my old passport. 

I have subsequently travelled in/out of Thailand and obtained a further 12 month extension of stay. 

8 hours ago, mitebbots said:

Thanks for that. I'll definitely go to Immigration and see about getting it in my new passport. 

They will not do it it.

You need to read this post again.

13 hours ago, skorts said:

Immigration stamped my new passport with permission to stay of 7 days only despite my current Extension of Stay in my old passport being valid for a further 4 months.

He had a extension of stay that was transferred and they did e annotation about his long expired OA visa