No alcohol sales all day today: Jail for lawbreakers

rooster59

1 hour ago, Crustyhk said:

Australian Federal Police have just announced hefty fines and jail sentences of up to 6 months for anyone selling meat on Good Friday in 2020. Because it’s their job 

Sounds a bit fishy to me

31 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Yes many countries do such but every other day up here in the NE is a holiday. Maybe do like the Chinese if given an extra day holiday then you have to work on Sunday the next week

When I first joined the workforce (in a Western country) we had someone on staff who had worked in Indonesia.  He said every religious holiday, no matter what the religion, was a holiday for everybody.  Mind you, that was a long, long time ago

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Not holier than thou, I enjoy a whisky or two myself on weekends. Just can't understand how people get so dependent on alcohol as a crutch they can't do without it for a single day, or can't plan ahead to have supply beforehand.

If it's their they'll drink it ,tomorrow never comes.

24 minutes ago, the guest said:

I find this quite amusing, as I have always been able to buy alcohol regardless. Why this must be enforced is beyond me, given most can purchase the day before and consume on any Buddhist day.

This live for the day, theirs no tomorrow

The ban for Visakha Bucha Day is in place from midnight last night to midnight tonight - a 24 hour period.

What! Only 'no alcohol'? These are less than half measures and not up to Buddhist standards. There should also be a ban on all food after midday, all lying, all killing of any type of animal, even ants, and a complete ban on sex for 24 hours. ????

45 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Buddhist culture are you serious? ask any Thai 'Buddhist' what the four noble truths and the eight fold path to enlightenment are and i guarantee you will get a blank look, they are the core of his teachings. What he did not teach was praying to statues, bribing god, selling amulets and banning peoplle buying a drink. I just bought two large changs!

Don't forget asking the monk for lucky numbers for the lottery.

Edit.

Just got my daily two cans as well, ok, three today.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, madmen said:

Yeah right never met a drinker who switched off when having a good time. Its always the alcoholics who try to hard to justify their drinking.

Alcoholics usually try to cover up their drinking, and I enjoy a few drinks but know when I've had enough, or my wife lets me know! ????

So you are wrong on both counts, but carry on thinking that way if it turns you on to have a go at drinkers and alcoholics - you probably hate smokers too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Er - isn't it supposed to be a holiday? Do liquor sellers here get annual leave? Probably not; however, 6 days mandated annual leave is not over-generous. I suspect the reason Thailand has so many public holidays is an example of Thainess in operation. Sorry, drifting a bit off topic.

Er - Is the holiday not on Monday in lieu of today?

Edited by sambum

7 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Buddha would’ve let people decide for themselves; this is just another S.E. Asian country that has <deleted> in uniforms oppressing people.

Not sure that giving people a holiday is "opressing" them?

44 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Don't forget asking the monk for lucky numbers for the lottery.

Edit.

Just got my daily two cans as well, ok, three today.

Lucky numbers from the Monk ? you must be joking. The wife has not won for the last 4 draws on the local Monks numbers. I haven't either but then I pick my own numbers so expect not to win.

As for booze, its a sell out today where I live. Just walked across to the shop at 16:05 and all the Chang sold out, there is a party going on so had to settle for the last bottles of Singha.

3 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

It's not about alcoholics or alcohol it's about ones rights. Why should others dictate to how you spend your day.

Not about rights either, its about law of the Land, something which you will never have any say over, but are expected to observe and obey.

Edited by The Cobra

I have a few personal bottles of JD whiskey in my room just to get me through days like this but wish i would of know sooner so could of stocked my fridge as well with beers...      

CHOOKE DEE TO Budda,    Happy Visakha Bucha Day ....

Just a quick hint to all the newbies in Thailand. If you go to a side street 'mom and pop' shop, you will be able to purchase alcohol there. They might wrap the bottles in newspaper, but you can still buy it descreetly. Obviously not near tourist areas such as Khao Sarn road.

This is the norm. All propoganda. For most Thai's it just means that 7/11 isn't selling alcohol. So fear not my worried chums. Shop smart today, and tomorrow everything will be fine.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Er - Is the holiday not on Monday in lieu of today?

Like the ass that I am, I was assuming that there would be no alcohol sold on Monday.  I wrote on my calendar to stock up Sunday with wine for Game of Thrones Monday.  Do I dare make another assumption -- it will be sold Monday?

Personally, this has come as something of a relief. On a couple of Saturday evenings recently I have been sitting quietly in the corner of a local bar, engaged in an earnest discussion with one or more young ladies who serve there about the philosophical dichotomy between traditional Thai modesty and the brevity of their shorts, when there has been a blinding flash, a loud clap as if of thunder, and I have all of a sudden been struck drunk!

I wouldn't want it to happen again...

• Haha 1

Like the ass that I am, I was assuming that there would be no alcohol sold on Monday.  I wrote on my calendar to stock up Sunday with wine for Game of Thrones Monday.  Do I dare make another assumption -- it will be sold Monday?
You can buy booze on Monday.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JAG said:

Personally, this has come as something of a relief. On a couple of Saturday evenings recently I have been sitting quietly in the corner of a local bar, engaged in an earnest discussion with one or more young ladies who serve there about the philosophical dichotomy between traditional Thai modesty and the brevity of their shorts, when there has been a blinding flash, a loud clap as if of thunder, and I have all of a sudden been struck drunk!

Your Thai must be a lot more fluent than mine, and I am gobsmacked by the revelation you could discuss this intelligently with the ladies in question. I would have normally expected their contribution to the conversation to consist of giggling behind hands.

• Thanks 1