METV confusion, not helped by immigration office

22 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

Thanks. And the Laos visa on arrival closes at...?

Same as the bridge but best to be on the Thai side no later than 9pm to insure you get across the bridge soon enough.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Same as the bridge but best to be on the Thai side no later than 9pm to insure you get across the bridge soon enough.

Plan is to be at Thai side no later than 6pm, cross over, and u-turn immediately to get back in. Can I do that without casualty?

Thank you! I will travel on date of expiry to do it. It will be a Sunday. Hopefully, nothing wrong with Sunday's. This will be to ideally get another 60 days plus 30 day extension. During the 30 day extension or directly after, I plan to cross back and forth into Laos to receive an additional 30 VOA's twice. Is it reasonable to expect that to happen without a hitch? If that works, I'll go back to the USA and get another METV (if the option still exists) or get a replacement passport in Vientiane, as I have a seal of satan in my passport book.

17 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

Thank you! I will travel on date of expiry to do it. It will be a Sunday. Hopefully, nothing wrong with Sunday's. This will be to ideally get another 60 days plus 30 day extension. During the 30 day extension or directly after, I plan to cross back and forth into Laos to receive an additional 30 VOA's twice. Is it reasonable to expect that to happen without a hitch? If that works, I'll go back to the USA and get another METV (if the option still exists) or get a replacement passport in Vientiane, as I have a seal of satan in my passport book.

nothings guaranteed. go with the flow with the guidelines here and if anything comes up think flexibility, smiling all around and improvise. this is asia rules are not set in stone like in the usa. 

On 6/20/2019 at 8:05 PM, fhickson said:

nothings guaranteed. go with the flow with the guidelines here and if anything comes up think flexibility, smiling all around and improvise. this is asia rules are not set in stone like in the usa. 

the things I like and can't stand about the place -- dysregulation and inconsistency

And another question, if anyone knows:

I have only used 25 of the 51 pages in my US passport, and it is only 2 years old. If I want to get reissued a new one, do I have to apply in person? Is the process different if it was damaged vs. if it was lost or stolen?

32 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

I have only used 25 of the 51 pages in my US passport, and it is only 2 years old. If I want to get reissued a new one, do I have to apply in person? Is the process different if it was damaged vs. if it was lost or stolen?

You can apply by mail at the embassy in Bangkok or the consulate in Chiang Mai.

Info is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

No need to damage or lose your passport to get a new one. If you are willing to pay the fee after applying for it they will issue you a new one.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply by mail at the embassy in Bangkok or the consulate in Chiang Mai.

Info is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

No need to damage or lose your passport to get a new one. If you are willing to pay the fee after applying for it they will issue you a new one.

But how do they invalidate my current passport if I don't report it stolen/lost? Also, won't they have a record of my existing passport? Or is it that my current passport immediately invalidates upon their reissuance of the new one?

2 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

But how do they invalidate my current passport if I don't report it stolen/lost? Also, won't they have a record of my existing passport? Or is it that my current passport immediately invalidates upon their reissuance of the new one?

When you apply for a new one you give them your old passport. They will stamp it cancelled and punch a couple of holes in the cover of it before giving it back to you.

People request new passports all the time. They don't ask why you want a new onef.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When you apply for a new one you give them your old passport. They will stamp it cancelled and punch a couple of holes in the cover of it before giving it back to you.

People request new passports all the time. They don't ask why you want a new onef.

1) They will ignore that only 40% of it is used up, and cancel it?

2) If I am not claiming it lost/stolen, then what option am I?

1. Adult Passport Renewal
  2. First Adult Passport (ages 16 and older)
  3. Minor Passport Renewal (Ages 0-15)
  4. Newborn Baby Passport
  5. Adult Lost/Stolen Passport Replacement (Ages 16+)
  6. Minor Lost/Stolen Passport Replacement (Ages 0-15)
  7. Third Party Attendance at Appointment Interviews

3) Do they provide some kind of receipt of application which can be used for travel purposes within the country or for proof that I have a valid visa in case I am checked for it?

12 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

1) They will ignore that only 40% of it is used up, and cancel it?

Yes they will.

As wrote before if you are willing to pay for a new passport they will issue one.

12 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

2) If I am not claiming it lost/stolen, then what option am I?

1. Adult Passport Renewal

14 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

For the METV, can a person cross into Laos and immediately double-back into Thailand, or is it unwise not to stay a night or a couple nights in Laos fo the sake of not looking obvious about just doing it for the visa?

Not a problem to enter Laos and then turn around and come right back.

I think I missed an important detail. Will I be asked to provide proof of onward or return ticket when I re-enter for METV after having completed 60 days plus 30 day extension? How likely, if yes?

On 5/19/2019 at 9:59 PM, tingtongtourist said:

option A

2 month + extension 

border run 

2 month + extension

border run (just before visa expiry then back in for another three months

Also, will they request photocopies of passport photo page, recent visa entry stamp, photos, or other?

Edited by ThaiRebound

59 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

Will I be asked to provide proof of onward or return ticket when I re-enter for METV after having completed 60 days plus 30 day extension? How likely, if yes?

59 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

Also, will they request photocopies of passport photo page, recent visa entry stamp, photos, or other?

If entering on the METV, no and no. 

I want to report on what happened today when I went to leave and re-enter Thailand to activate the next 60 days of METV. There was only me and one other visible Farang in all of the lines at the return area of the Thai border. When I got to the officer (an order officer), he took my passport, sat back, and thumbed through it for 5 minutes -- no exaggeration. He asked me questions such as where are you staying, city and hotel and how long I intend to stay. I stood stick straight and answered meekly. I don't think it's accurate to think one knows for certain what people are thinking by looking at their countenance and body language, but I am certain he did not want to let me in. I have been in Thailand since April '18 on SETV's and one METV, and this guy was not having it. Could he have voided it? I wonder why he didn't if he could have. Can I still go back to Vientiane for VOA 2x for the year, or would it be advisable I give another border a shot? What got me was that this officer was notating or at least scribbling something with the cathartic intent of murder.

6 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

Could he have voided it?

Which crossing?

He would not be able to cancel your visa. He could could only start a denial of entry. I would not worry about using your visa again at a land border crossing other than Poi Pet.

You could get 2 visa exempt entries (not a 15 day VOA) at land border crossings this year if needed.

7 hours ago, Arlycharly said:

For anyone who got their METV through the Los Angeles, USA  office , how long did it take for them to process it please?

Overnight if you apply in person. About 10 days by mail on average.

• 2 weeks later...

As for the passport-replacement option for those with a stays-too-long stamp, is that still feasible with the new face-recognition systems, as headlined in the video on this site? Has that been implemented yet to make things difficult by anyone's account?