Best time for planting?

New to gardening here. I'm going to grow a few various herbs, veggies, peppers. When is the best time to get them in the ground here? Considering rainy season is approaching that is.

I'm located in Chiang Rai fwiw.

I think it comes down to your soil situation and how much blasting full sun the foliage can handle.    I have made a raised bed so that drainage to the soil will be guaranteed.   I was going to plant in the ground,  but I was worried about the roots setting in mud all day during the rain season.   I planted pumpkins 4 days ago and they've gone from seed to 4 inches along in that time.    

Edited by samuttodd

5 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

I think it comes down to your soil situation and how much blasting full sun the foliage can handle.    I have made a raised bed so that drainage to the soil will be guaranteed.   I was going to plant in the ground,  but I was worried about the roots setting in mud all day during the rain season.   I planted pumpkins 4 days ago and they've gone from seed to 4 inches along in that time.    

Yea I'm actually having someone put together a planter box for me. Do you attempt to limit the sun at all? In the US I'd usually pull my plants under some shade during the hottest part of the day (they were all in pots), but obviously that isn't possible with a planting box.

we use a raised planter box ...... set near a large tree.  If lettuce must not get too much sun,  Tomatoes can take a lot of sun but do not like to be "drowned".   Mix the soil well, of course.  Can plant now but need to take good care for things to do well.  Start out slow  ????

IMG_0215 (1).JPG

Tomatos.jpg

52663179_2646993505315779_4636727060742537216_n.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have the links handy on phone but if you google florida gardening calendar you should get a number of suggestions. Florida has a similar climate to thailand....cooler dry season, wet season.

Tomatoes from end of wet season, lettuce in the cool season, and stick to the open leaf varieties.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/12/2019 at 3:36 AM, MikeN said:

With a bit of help from my missus (before she got bored) I've compiled a list from the previous post ...for anybody who cannot read pictures.

There are some vegetables missing from the magazine's list, such as corn for an obvious one. There are also a few things that seem a bit odd, such as recommending planting lettuce in January and March, but not February ?

plantlist_Jan_April.JPG

plantlist_May_Aug.JPG

plantlist_Sep_Dec.JPG

plantingschedule.xlsx 13.5 kB · 1 download

Masterpiece!  Thanks for the contribution. Should be pinned subject, with follow up and suggestions for modifications from growers experiences. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/12/2019 at 5:36 PM, MikeN said:

With a bit of help from my missus (before she got bored) I've compiled a list from the previous post ...for anybody who cannot read pictures.

There are some vegetables missing from the magazine's list, such as corn for an obvious one. There are also a few things that seem a bit odd, such as recommending planting lettuce in January and March, but not February ?

plantlist_Jan_April.JPG

plantlist_May_Aug.JPG

plantlist_Sep_Dec.JPG

plantingschedule.xlsx 13.5 kB · 5 downloads

Is it just me, or is it not possible to download this file any more? 

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Well it just worked for me.....

I think I've figured out the problem. I tried downloading it on a laptop I wasn't logged on to and assume that was the issue. 

Thanks again for the table. It's great! 

• 4 months later...
On 9/12/2019 at 5:36 PM, MikeN said:

plantlist_Jan_April.JPG

plantlist_May_Aug.JPG

plantlist_Sep_Dec.JPG

plantingschedule.xlsx 13.5 kB · 16 downloads

Best post!

Thanks to you and your wife!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Thanks from me, too - great! Been looking for something like this for a while, as I'm an expert at planting/sowing things at the wrong time of year - and always left wondering why things never grew (much) or got burned away by the hot sun.

Hmm...oh well, now there are no more excuses.  ????????

• Haha 1

Dunno. Apart from tomatoes and egg plants, that I wouldn't attempt to raise through the rainy season, I haven't noticed that The time of planting makes much difference, which is probably why nothing is noted on the seed packets. There are some vegetables that prefer longer / shorter days but this isn't Scotland. 

• 2 months later...

I have just had a small course this weekend for some local garderners/homegrowers this weekend and we have some material that we compiled

and I have this in English and in Thai. But here is the English version is a planting chart 1page thats easy to print. It might be different from what posted above

but its commonly accepted

BGS - Planting Schedule.pdf

Edited by Evolare

1 hour ago, Evolare said:

I have just had a small course this weekend for some local garderners/homegrowers this weekend and we have some material that we compiled

and I have this in English and in Thai. But here is the English version is a planting chart 1page thats easy to print. It might be different from what posted above

but its commonly accepted

BGS - Planting Schedule.pdf 53.51 kB · 2 downloads

I uploaded the wrong version of the file this is the correct version but cant edit the post

BGS - Planting Schedule - Thailand.pdf

15 hours ago, Evolare said:

I uploaded the wrong version of the file this is the correct version but cant edit the post

BGS - Planting Schedule - Thailand.pdf 54.16 kB · 1 download

Thanks. Without going into detail, I disagree with about 50% of what is noted here. Tomatoes during the rainy season? Maybe OK, but you'd need to cover. Who plants bamboo every year? etc. Cabbage? This doesn't look as though it's adapted to Thai gardening at all, where's the Pak Choi, Chinese cabbage, turmeric and ginger, chili? AND Soya? 

On 12/21/2020 at 10:23 AM, cooked said:

Thanks. Without going into detail, I disagree with about 50% of what is noted here. Tomatoes during the rainy season? Maybe OK, but you'd need to cover. Who plants bamboo every year? etc. Cabbage? This doesn't look as though it's adapted to Thai gardening at all, where's the Pak Choi, Chinese cabbage, turmeric and ginger, chili? AND Soya? 

This is actually based on what many of the organic commercial growers here in Thailand that we work with do, so this is from their experience and something that we do also...I have successfully planted out tomatoes all through the year. One of our largest tomato growers that we work closely with export to Singapore, Taiwan and the middle east. If you want to grow good quality tomatoes i would recommend to grow in greenhouse/nethouse to avoid using to much pesticides and herbicides etc. In most provinces wood vinegar and neemoil wont be enough to keep pests away especially during rain season.

Alot of the best organic vegetables grown in Thailand is sold on export only.

About bamboo does it have to be planted every year to have a recommendation? 

As for Pak Choi, Chinese cabbage, turmeric and ginger, chili and Soya. I can add it to the list later. I have got a few private messages about things like that also. Do you have any other things you want to add to the list?

Most question I get on planting date is normally for plant not really native to the Thai climate.

Edited by Evolare