To get a visa need to scan every page of passport??!

Hi I have just got a job in thailand. My employer is sorting out visa paperwork for me from their end, a non immigrant one. They want me to scan in every page of my passport including blank ones. Has anybody else had to do this? What do they need blank pages for? I’m so confused! 

12 minutes ago, Jigglypuff said:

Hi I have just got a job in thailand. My employer is sorting out visa paperwork for me from their end, a non immigrant one. They want me to scan in every page of my passport including blank ones. Has anybody else had to do this? What do they need blank pages for? I’m so confused! 

That is not unusual, it's also a requirement to renew a British passport so it doesn't surprise me that you've been asked to supply it, despite what fishtank said who may well be correct.  

Presumably they want to see everything that is in your passport and if they don't have a copy of every page they could not be sure they've seen everything.   It's no big deal, if I were you I'd just give them what they ask for, what harm could it do?

Your employer may want to check you don't have any nasties in your passport, such as refusals of entry or deportations.

It's often easier to go with the flow with issues such as this. I used to be concerned about my privacy, but after handing out a couple of hundred copies of my passport I realised that's just the way it is here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I don't have my USA passport in front of me.  Are the pages numbered?  I can't remember.  If not, how would they know if you scanned all the pages unless they compare your copies with the actual passport 

By the same token, why would anyone deliberately not scan certain pages when asked?

Ultimately the visa-issuing embassy or consulate will get their hands on the passport and find the 'dishonesty' so rather than question why, the OP should just comply.

FWIW, I had to provide the same every-page passport scan when kicking-off the process for a work-enabling visa for Malaysia. Twice.

The first time I thought that's a lot of work and large file but considering one can get a pair of 2-page images on an A4 sized scan, even the full-size UK passport was only about a dozen pages.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

By the same token, why would anyone deliberately not scan certain pages when asked?

Ultimately the visa-issuing embassy or consulate will get their hands on the passport and find the 'dishonesty' so rather than question why, the OP should just comply.

FWIW, I had to provide the same every-page passport scan when kicking-off the process for a work-enabling visa for Malaysia. Twice.

The first time I thought that's a lot of work and large file but considering one can get a pair of 2-page images on an A4 sized scan, even the full-size UK passport was only about a dozen pages.

I can imagine some people not wanting to scan certain pages that maybe had some stamps indicating denial or trying to hide too many visas or re-entries or whatever.  That is not a good idea since most things are reasonably recorded in the databases.  But I am sure some people have thought of it or tried it.

when getting an extension the IO has twice insisted on all pages being copied, going again the next year with them done in advance no. When handing them over one year after being wanted the year before I was accused of wasting their time!

Edited by Orton Rd

I don't have my USA passport in front of me.  Are the pages numbered?  I can't remember.  If not, how would they know if you scanned all the pages unless they compare your copies with the actual passport 
British passport pages are numbered not sure about other countries.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

when in doubt, just copy EVERYTHING.  sign every copy.  if in Thailand, it's like an extra 0.000000000001 cents.  lol.  so no worries.  trust me, they make a big deal if you don't have every page copied.  they count them, count your passport.....i've seen it.  maybe get 10 copies of your bio page, just in case.   

• Like 1

My immigration office charge 3 baht a copy, far more than in copy shops, they have a vested interest in making us get copies done Mine insist on receipts they give out being copied as well, goes straight in the bin after.

I’m not refusing to do it for those shocked that I may question why an authority needs my entire passport copying. 

I’m just one of those people who like to read the small print before signing their life away. I was merely asking the reason. Now it makes sense thanks to some posters who actually answered my query.