BKK Immigration validated an expired SETV upon arrival (** ? re upcoming extension **)

Received (via Los Angeles Consulate) 2 SETV’s over the course of last 12 months. Was unable to use either due to work constraints/death in the family.

Once I could nail down a definite schedule I decided to just forgo another SETV and take the 30 day arrival visa and plan a visa run to Laos to give me the 80+ days I need in country.

Upon arrival to BKK, I filed out my arrival card as a 30 day stay and did not enter any visa # on said card.

Did not discuss anything at immigration kiosk because I assumed it would be noticed that these SETV’s were expired therefore I would just receive 30 day transit visa.

Well, that didn’t happen.

Got a 60 day stamp.

Now I am a bit worried to show up at Ubon Immigration for the 30 day extension.

***So should I goto Ubon immigration to sort this out within 30 days of my arrival and continue to plan my visa run OR just not worry about this and prepare my paperwork for a 30 day extension?****

it appears to be  a mistake made by officer on entry. 

Go to immigration near the end of what should be your 30 day visa exempt entry and apply for the extension. Explain to them what happened and they will fix the stamping error and issue the 30 day extension.

• Like 1

it appears to be  a mistake made by officer on entry. 
Go to immigration near the end of what should be your 30 day visa exempt entry and apply for the extension. Explain to them what happened and they will fix the stamping error and issue the 30 day extension.

Thanks for the info Joe!

**But wouldn’t this reduce my initial stay to only 60 days, requiring me to still make a visa run for the 80+ days total I need in Thailand?

Would seem more economical to just make a SETV border run (Vientiane) before my initial 30 days is up.

***But would It still be in my best interest to sort out this stamping error with Ubon Immigration before I headed to Laos, if this is a valid option for me?

I will be making a Ubon my home in a few years so I def don’t want any unneeded attention upon future trips there.

51 minutes ago, craftyone said:

***So should I goto Ubon immigration to sort this out within 30 days of my arrival and continue to plan my visa run OR just not worry about this and prepare my paperwork for a 30 day extension?****

Yes, you need to sort it out.

They will not issue a 30 day extension if they realise the 60 day error.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, craftyone said:

Would seem more economical to just make a SETV border run (Vientiane) before my initial 30 days is up.

If you need 80+ days you will need to do a border run. 

At the end of this 30 days you could exit/return for a new 30 day stay (no visa) which you could extend by 30 days; OR stay out the country a couple of days and get a SETV that will give you 60 days on entry — also extendable if required.

9 minutes ago, craftyone said:

***But would It still be in my best interest to sort out this stamping error with Ubon Immigration before I headed to Laos, if this is a valid option for me?

As long as you leave within the 30 days there is no need to have the error fixed; as you won’t have stayed longer than allowed for a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, elviajero said:

They will not issue a 30 day extension if they realise the 60 day error.

Only if he went at the end of the 60 days which might result in a overstay fine.

If he goes near end of 30 days they would fix the stamp and do a 30 day extension.

• Like 2

As long as you leave within the 30 days there is no need to have the error fixed; as you won’t have stayed longer than allowed for a visa exempt entry.

***So a Pakse day run for another 30 day visa exempt entry followed by 30 day extension is ok?

This would seem to be the most economical.

Only if he went at the end of the 60 days which might result in a overstay fine.

If he goes near end of 30 days they would fix the stamp and do a 30 day extension.

But can I get another visa exempt entry at Pakse after extension is up?

I worry at this point I’m pushing my luck.

But can I get another visa exempt entry at Pakse after extension is up?
I worry at this point I’m pushing my luck.

Scratch that idea.
GF’s bro is taking me to Mukdahan in enough time to get to Savannakhet Consulate by 9am to drop off everything for a SETV.
Don’t want to deal with the whole stamping issue correction or possibility of an extension denial.
At present (per website) it doesn’t appear they require an appointment like Vientiane, so unless anyone sees a problem, I’m done worrying about this $&@! for the day.
Peace out [emoji1317]

33 minutes ago, craftyone said:

Scratch that idea.
GF’s bro is taking me to Mukdahan in enough time to get to Savannakhet Consulate by 9am to drop off everything for a SETV.
Don’t want to deal with the whole stamping issue correction or possibility of an extension denial.
At present (per website) it doesn’t appear they require an appointment like Vientiane, so unless anyone sees a problem, I’m done worrying about this $&@! for the day.
Peace out emoji1317.png

Just a slight word of warning. If Mukdahan immigration spot the error as you are exiting, you will not be in any real trouble. However, I could imagine you being held up for a long time while the officials deal with, what for them, is an unusual situation. Worst case, it could prevent you arriving in time at the consulate. Personally, I would take the trouble to get the stamp corrected in advance (unless you want to avoid contact with immigration because of TM30 issues).

• Like 1

Just a slight word of warning. If Mukdahan immigration spot the error as you are exiting, you will not be in any real trouble. However, I could imagine you being held up for a long time while the officials deal with, what for them, is an unusual situation. Worst case, it could prevent you arriving in time at the consulate. Personally, I would take the trouble to get the stamp corrected in advance (unless you want to avoid contact with immigration because of TM30 issues).

Damn you’re good!! Lol
Yeah, after I started thinking out the trip for a stamp correction I realized it would prob also domino into a TM30 fine since neither GF’s dad nor myself reported me here.
And let’s face it, some foreigner pointing out the mistake of a gov employee is not going to win me any good boy points in this life or the next.
No good deed etc etc....
But if they hold me up from making the drop before 11, I’ll book another night in Savannakhet about 5 min after I leave there.