An Idiots Guide to the Retirement Extension process at Samui Immigration Office

• 3 months later...

I'm about to do my first 12 months Non-O retirement extension. Does anyone know how much in advance the paperwork can be submitted? I see different numbers floating around - 45,30,15 days...looks like another "localized" requirement depending on the province.

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

I'm about to do my first 12 months Non-O retirement extension. Does anyone know how much in advance the paperwork can be submitted? I see different numbers floating around - 45,30,15 days...looks like another "localized" requirement depending on the province.

30 days in advance after the book, but it has varied in Samui Immigration office, but two weeks before will normally be accepted.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

I believe that #8 medical certificate is no longer required for extension in Samui.

Medical certificate has been required for years for extension of stay. If you have a newer version of required documents than shown in this thread, please upload it.

23 hours ago, khunPer said:

Medical certificate has been required for years for extension of stay. If you have a newer version of required documents than shown in this thread, please upload it.

I got mine last August w/o one and will go again this August w/o one.  If they say anything, I will let everyone know.

From the Thailand Immigration site: Visa Extension – สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง – Immigration Bureau

In the case of retirement:

Criteria for Consideration

1. Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
  2. Must be 50 years of age or over.
  3. Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
  4. On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
    Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a
    deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to
    the filing date; or
  5. Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
    800,000 as of the filing date.
  6. An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively
    permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in
    a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of
    no less than Baht 20,000.(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed
    income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht
    500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

Documents to be submitted

1. Application form
  2. Copy of applicant’s passport
  3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or
  4. Account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook
  5. Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4
    stated above.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

I got mine last August w/o one and will go again this August w/o one.  If they say anything, I will let everyone know.

From the Thailand Immigration site: Visa Extension – สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง – Immigration Bureau

In the case of retirement:

1. Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
  2. Must be 50 years of age or over.
  3. Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
  4. On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
    Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a
    deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to
    the filing date; or
  5. Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
    800,000 as of the filing date.
  6. An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively
    permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in
    a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of
    no less than Baht 20,000.(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed
    income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht
    500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

1. Application form
  3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or
  4. Account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook
  5. Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4
    stated above.

Amazing, if you passed without a medical statement, I needed one in October.

Samui Immigration have their own extended requirements for documents. 

Did you only supply the few documents mentioned in above link?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, khunPer said:

Amazing, if you passed without a medical statement, I needed one in October.

and I needed one late November.

Hey parallaxtech, did you need a copy of your rental agreement (or a yellow book) and a hand draw map of the way to your place of stay?

Those docs are not mentioned in the general requirements you quoted but still required by Samui Immigration.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lom said:

and I needed one late November.

Hey parallaxtech, did you need a copy of your rental agreement (or a yellow book) and a hand draw map of the way to your place of stay?

Those docs are not mentioned in the general requirements you quoted but still required by Samui Immigration.

No, I have the house in my name and show a Thai document stating that I am the owner (Notification of Housemaster).  I did draw the map and follow all the other rules.  I will let you know in August.  I would appreciate it if someone doing an extension before then would ask the plump lady if it's required.  Who knows, they may require a Covid-free medical certificate now.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

My mind is boggling khunPer. ????????

Unfortunately (in my case probably "luckily") no photos allowed inside the Immigration Office, so no selfie or other documentation, you need to believe my word for a good laugh...????

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

For your medical did you need to get an X-ray?

Thai International Hospital doesn't do any X-ray and it is not required by Samui Immigration.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, lom said:

Thai International Hospital doesn't do any X-ray and it is not required by Samui Immigration.

Interesting.  Was that hospital in Chaweng (Samui)?  In January I did my extension in Samui.  I live in Phangan so I got my medical certificate from Bandon Hospital there.  They wanted me to have an Xray and I didn't want that so they insisted on a blood test (I believe this was to check for TB) which cost me an extra B220.   Otherwise they were not willing to sign the certificate.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Interesting.  Was that hospital in Chaweng (Samui)?  In January I did my extension in Samui.  I live in Phangan so I got my medical certificate from Bandon Hospital there.  They wanted me to have an Xray and I didn't want that so they insisted on a blood test (I believe this was to check for TB) which cost me an extra B220.   Otherwise they were not willing to sign the certificate.

I used Bandon Hospital as well but my medical was for a work permit.

Same as you. X-Ray and blood test.

Bear in mind that all of the private hospitals on Samui are struggling financially. No foreign tourists which is where most of them make their money.

For my general health I use Bangkok Samui and I am being offered all sorts of deals. I only use Bandon for medical certificates as they are much cheaper.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I use Thai International (opposite Tesco-Lotus), same procedure as every year, no X-ray, 250 baht, done in 15 minutes; last time was October, and they did kindly ask if I satisfied and would refer others for their service...????

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I use Thai International (opposite Tesco-Lotus), same procedure as every year, no X-ray, 250 baht, done in 15 minutes; last time was October, and they did kindly ask if I satisfied and would refer others for their service...????

Is that in Samui or Koh Phangan?

• 4 weeks later...

I read that there are tougher requirements, maybe just Pattaya - not sure.

My Thai wife and I will rent and I'll extend a non-imm O visa.

1) Do we have to bring a non-family member with us to vouch for my wife and I when extending my non-imm O visa?

2) Does the landlord need to come... do we need a copy of his/her Tabien Baan?

17 hours ago, ding said:

I read that there are tougher requirements, maybe just Pattaya - not sure.

My Thai wife and I will rent and I'll extend a non-imm O visa.

1) Do we have to bring a non-family member with us to vouch for my wife and I when extending my non-imm O visa?

2) Does the landlord need to come... do we need a copy of his/her Tabien Baan?

You don't need your landlord to come...but I had a copy of his Tabien Baan, and also signed copy of his ID card.

In my experience bringing Thais there is not needed. Your bank book will vouch for you. The staff know enough English to do their job. On the opposite, from my experience having a Thai with me increases the IOs desire to drink tea, and there is always shortage of money for it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2021 at 4:42 AM, parallaxtech said:

Here's a requirements list for non-imm O married to a Thai from the site you linked. It's hard to format for Apple's Notes, so I had to email it to myself to format correctly. Here it is for someone else's convenience;

" In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children,
adopted children, or spouse’s children):

1. The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
  2. The alien must have proof of relationship.
  3. In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto; or
  4. In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children, adopted children,
    or spouse’s children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not
    be over 20 years of age; or
  5. In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less
    than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht
    400,000 to cover expenses for one year.
    For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau
    is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis.
  6. In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
    of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in
    Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

1. Application form
  3. Copy of documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate,
    registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate, child adoption registration
    certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency
  4. Copy of evidence proving the Thai nationality of the spouse, parents, children, or adopted
    children, such as a national ID card, copy of household registration certificate, or other evidence
    issued by the government or relevant agency
  5. Only for Criteria (5) and (6), the applicant must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a
    bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or attach documents proving that the parents or alien
    husband earns an average monthly income of no less than Baht 40,000 throughout the year, such as
    any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving
    retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other
    funds issued by the relevant agency. An affidavit must also be submitted confirming the alien’s
    marital or parental status with a Thai national. "

2 hours ago, ding said:

Here's a requirements list for non-imm O married to a Thai from the site you linked. It's hard to format for Apple's Notes, so I had to email it to myself to format correctly. Here it is for someone else's convenience;

" In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children,
adopted children, or spouse’s children):

1. The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
  2. The alien must have proof of relationship.
  3. In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto; or
  4. In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children, adopted children,
    or spouse’s children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not
    be over 20 years of age; or
  5. In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less
    than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht
    400,000 to cover expenses for one year.
    For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau
    is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis.
  6. In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
    of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in
    Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

1. Application form
  3. Copy of documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate,
    registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate, child adoption registration
    certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency
  4. Copy of evidence proving the Thai nationality of the spouse, parents, children, or adopted
    children, such as a national ID card, copy of household registration certificate, or other evidence
    issued by the government or relevant agency
  5. Only for Criteria (5) and (6), the applicant must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a
    bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or attach documents proving that the parents or alien
    husband earns an average monthly income of no less than Baht 40,000 throughout the year, such as
    any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving
    retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other
    funds issued by the relevant agency. An affidavit must also be submitted confirming the alien’s
    marital or parental status with a Thai national. "

If this list is not from Samui Immigration Office, they might claim further documents like two maps, and rental agreement for house, and photos.

I think latest published list from Samui Immigration is this one from May 2019...

59364dcaf3c8f_marriageextensionSamui.thu

If anybody get hand of a newer list from Samui Immigration for extension of stay based on family/marriage, please share it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

from Samui Immigration Office, they might claim further documents like two maps, and rental agreement for house, and photos.

Thanks yet again. I saved that doc to Apple notes. As much as I gripe about minor inconsistencies in the US bureaucracy...

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 2:34 PM, parallaxtech said:

I would appreciate it if someone doing an extension before then would ask the plump lady if it's required.  Who knows, they may require a Covid-free medical certificate now.

An elderly lady in front of me today was turned back for not having a medical cert. No mention of a Covid cert...everything else is the same as it has been for the last few years

Edited by Neilly
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

Please update the Samui requirements for extension of stay based on retirement non-OA visa.   I will be going next month.  Attached is the list I have from last year, which for some reason omits the medical insurance certificate (I believe the current coverage requirement, since this fall, is B3 million and B40K OPD, and I assume B100K Covid coverage - please confirm if you know).  I also expect they may ask for a Covid vaccination certificate.

So:  Apart from the insurance certificate, is anything missing from this list?

koh samui immigration requirements extension as of May 2020.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Hi All,

Please update the Samui requirements for extension of stay based on retirement non-OA visa.   I will be going next month.  Attached is the list I have from last year, which for some reason omits the medical insurance certificate (I believe the current coverage requirement, since this fall, is B3 million and B40K OPD, and I assume B100K Covid coverage - please confirm if you know).  I also expect they may ask for a Covid vaccination certificate.

So:  Apart from the insurance certificate, is anything missing from this list?

2021 list (from mid October) is here...????

2021_Retirement-extension.thumb.jpg.bf57d6f201f5e4491aa4c35b1fa6cb34.jpg

• Like 1