An Idiots Guide to the Retirement Extension process at Samui Immigration Office

10 hours ago, churchill said:

No this is the information I got , and no annual fee ( I believe ) 

Checked the page you linked to. 

20.000 annual fee. 

1 million for 10 years, 2 million with extension to 20 years. 

(the 800k 10 yrs is for family)(1M 20yrs is for family) 

This is membership fee. 

5 year renewable multiple entry visa. 

This visa gives you unlimited entries to Thailand with 1 year permission to stay, more than a year is not permitted in the immigration act B.E. 2522 (1979) section 35.

So what you get is a visa sticker in your passport every 5 years (hopefully) 

You get 1 year permission to stay everytime you enter. 

You will still have to get that stamp every year + visa sticker every 5 year.

Screenshot_20200110-175520.thumb.png.6e8382fdc21ef76bd36f59182f100676.png

7 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Checked the page you linked to. 

20.000 annual fee. 

1 million for 10 years, 2 million with extension to 20 years. 

(the 800k 10 yrs is for family)(1M 20yrs is for family) 

This is membership fee. 

5 year renewable multiple entry visa. 

This visa gives you unlimited entries to Thailand with 1 year permission to stay, more than a year is not permitted in the immigration act B.E. 2522 (1979) section 35.

So what you get is a visa sticker in your passport every 5 years (hopefully) 

You get 1 year permission to stay everytime you enter. 

You will still have to get that stamp every year + visa sticker every 5 year.

Screenshot_20200110-175520.thumb.png.6e8382fdc21ef76bd36f59182f100676.png

Please check again ... Not ' Ultimate Privilege '

but 20 YEARS ELITE SUPERIORITY EXTENSION

1M no annual Fee but without limo pick ups and golf/spa packages

47 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

The word here is extension. 

It's extension to 20 years, you need to buy 10 years first. 

If that is the case it seems very complicated . It is an extension to which 10 year visa and how much does that cost ?

620902_factsheet-ESE.jpg.thumb.jpeg.d42f3042c5f48b38064ef25f67818e4c.jpeg

19 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

#15, you can get a tax number if you want to pay taxes.

Well, if you are staying on a an extensions that allow a Work Permit, and having income from a work, it's no problem, but you should try as a retired person to apply for a TIN (Tax Identification Number) registration at the Revenue Office in Nathon when retired.

I have tried it, but was told »cannot«, if I don't have a work income – no wonder only 11 million of the Thai population of almost 70 million is registered as tax payers, and out of them only 4 million pay income tax – in my third trial I showed that I had sold some stocks with a profit, and the kind big boss lady registered me herself after calling "someone important" in Bangkok. It took a week to be approved; later I found out that stock gains from SET are tax free...:whistling:

I actually need a TIN and proof of filing an annual "tax return form" for my home country's stock dividend taxation, or rather paying less tax at home due to double taxation agreement.

I probably need to declare my retirement pension as taxable income in Thailand to file a tax return form – and get proof of tax-residency – have asked my home country's tax department if that is possible, as it should be due to the double taxation agreement...????

I will just love to pay Thai income-tax instead of Scandinavian income-tax rates...????

19 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

It's 2M baht for the 20 year visa that you still have to renew every 5yrs.

You can get a 20-year Elite Card for 1 million baht, so compared to 800k baht deposit it's not that bad...

ese_orig.jpg

56 minutes ago, churchill said:

If that is the case it seems very complicated . It is an extension to which 10 year visa and how much does that cost ?

Probably a 5-year "Easy Access" card for 500k baht will do...????

17 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Probably a 5-year "Easy Access" card for 500k baht will do...????

I don't think I will be here in 25 Years :violin::saai:

20 years makes sense at 1M but not longer ... May as well struggle on with whatever is required as a bank deposit and whatever annual paperwork/insurance /additions are required .

1 hour ago, churchill said:

May as well struggle on with whatever is required as a bank deposit and whatever annual paperwork/insurance /additions are required .

It's not that bad, nor that difficult, thanks to Thaivisa forum and informative posts from others applying at the Immigration Office, before it's our turn...????

5 hours ago, churchill said:

that is the case it seems very complicated . It is an extension to which 10 year visa and how much does that cost ?

I could be wrong , maybe it is 20 years for 1 million. 

This could be the cheap option without golf. 

Confusing as this seems to have no annual fee. 

You get a 5 year multiple entry visa four times. 

Still you will need a permission to stay stamp every year and a new visa every 5 years. 

4 hours ago, churchill said:

20 years makes sense at 1M but not longer ... May as well struggle on with whatever is required as a bank deposit and whatever annual paperwork/insurance /additions are required .

It makes sense if you:

1. Plan to live/stay 20 years. 

2. Travel abroad once per year. 

3. Can not get health insurance. 

• Like 1

Is it possible to resurrect a Thai tax number & resume contributions as a retiree? I had a company and WP for more than a decade and wouldn't mind topping up the NHS (health) side of it if this is possible.

Does anyone know where to start?

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Is it possible to resurrect a Thai tax number & resume contributions as a retiree? I had a company and WP for more than a decade and wouldn't mind topping up the NHS (health) side of it if this is possible.

Does anyone know where to start?

I have a TIN number and would have thought that once you are in the system you could contribute when you want ?

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

will just love to pay Thai income-tax instead of Scandinavian income-tax rates...????

I am non-resident in the UK so pay no UK tax ... but now have very few UK based assets . Could you consider moving your Scandinavian assets off shore and becoming non-resident ?

1 hour ago, churchill said:

I am non-resident in the UK so pay no UK tax ... but now have very few UK based assets . Could you consider moving your Scandinavian assets off shore and becoming non-resident ?

Yes!

I've been non-resident in my Scandinavian home country – i.e. Denmark – since I officially moved out in December 2006; however I'm still partly taxable of for example retirement pensions paid in my home country, and withheld dividend tax.

I'm not allowed to own property for permanent residency – whilst a summer house allowed for less than 180 days annual stay is permitted – and I'm not allowed to have a, either owned or rented, flat or condo. As non-resident any government retirement pension is reduced to the very basic level, which is little more than half of the full pension one can obtain without any additional income, however still indexed; Britain has to my knowledge a similar system by freezing the retirement pension, but without indexed regulations.

In theory retirement pensions are according to the double taxation agreement taxable both in Denmark and Thailand – same seems to also be the case for Britain, from what I've read – but one can apply for tax return of that part of the pension, which has been income taxed in Thailand.

I however can still have assets like bank deposits; own mutual funds; own stocks, and even companies; and other assets not related to being a permanent resident. Stock dividends are withheld taxed, but I can apply for some compensation accordingly to the double taxation agreement between Denmark and Thailand (it's however complicated). Furthermore I'm allowed certain non taxed income, from for example being a bord member in a company, or certain fees that are not connected to residency or permanent work salary; if I keep them off shore until next calendar year, they become legal tax free savings in Thailand.

And yes, I have moved some assets to Thailand to test investment in SET stocks instead of off shore, also as the dividends are paid in baht, and thereby free from currency exchange rate fluktuations. The mixed portfolio dividend rate is about similar to off shore, actually slightly better. In the crystal clear bright light of hindsight I regret that I didn't move a lot more funds before the Thai baht began it's increase in value...????

In spite of the warnings of not moving assets and savings, I have so far only good positive experience; even any bank interest rate here is better than 0 percent in long term fixed accounts at home...:whistling:

Also "investing" in Thai property shall be compared to renting. If you rent a similar house – or whatever you live in, castle, condo or sand-castle – compared to one you buy, how many years shall you rent to pay the full price you can buy it for, or could have bought it for? Often the answer is somewhere between 10 and 20 years, typically around 15 year including calculated interest loss. So if you plan to stay long term in Land-of-Smiles it does make sense to "invest" in property, even you don't expect to sell it; after about 15 years you live for maintenance and running costs only...????

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone who previously relied upon an Embassy letter please post details of what exactly is required in order to obtain a bank letter supporting the 'monthly payments' route now that they're no longer available?

i'm looking for first hand local recent experience if possible please. I'm hoping to use SCB in Big C when the time comes & hope that;

a) They are familiar with the request and can do it, &

b  ) Immigration will accept the letter at the first attempt.

Thank you ????

Eva

Edited by evadgib

• 1 month later...

Update from someone on OA visa at Samui ....

Thai medical insurance requested when applying for 1 year extension (following previous extensions where no insurance was required) .... ????

And ... still no requirement for an O extension based on retirement???

9 hours ago, khunPer said:

Might be of interest. Someone posted in another thred that Samui Immigration demand that you use face mask...????

Very few people wearing face masks when I was there and I didn't see anyone asked about it or refused service for not having one. I happened to be wearing one in an abundance of caution.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Went to Samui Immigration this morning at opening time 8:30 and queued up with about 30 people. One staff member was outside answering questions and directing people as needed. I was there 30 days in advance of my retirement extension expiration date thinking I could renew but she said 15 days before was the earliest. Glad I waited on medical and bank documents that will expire by then. I was hoping to renw before the emergency visas expire but I guess not. She did let me run inside for a Samui style TM7. Masks were mandatory. Atmosphere was so much more relaxed than any previous visit. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

Went to Samui Immigration this morning at opening time 8:30 and queued up with about 30 people. One staff member was outside answering questions and directing people as needed. I was there 30 days in advance of my retirement extension expiration date thinking I could renew but she said 15 days before was the earliest. Glad I waited on medical and bank documents that will expire by then. I was hoping to renw before the emergency visas expire but I guess not. She did let me run inside for a Samui style TM7. Masks were mandatory. Atmosphere was so much more relaxed than any previous visit. 

What happened to "45 days in advance" & does that mean your med cert & bank docs will need to be done again showing a new date?

(Rhetorical as I suspect I know the answer. Being in the same boat I was planning on getting it over with this week for the same reason).

Edited by evadgib

On 4/20/2020 at 11:32 AM, evadgib said:

What happened to "45 days in advance" & does that mean your med cert & bank docs will need to be done again showing a new date?

(Rhetorical as I suspect I know the answer. Being in the same boat I was planning on getting it over with this week for the same reason).

Samui has never accepted too early requests for extension of stay even it officially can be done 30 days before expiry. Some years back it was not earlier than a week before; however if not busy, you could come three weeks ahead, but still depending on their mood that day: »Not good today, you better come tomorrow!« I managed almost a month ahead in the old immigration building in Nathon, presume I was just lucky, because I was told to come tomorrow, but I could through the open door see, that the "extension officer" was free, so I just walked in, smiled and said sawadee, and everything was done i five minutes. Those were the days...????

Today it would be sad to have for documents made – health certificate and bank statements – and be turned down for another week or two, where-after the documents are too old; not so much the money, but the wasted time...????

I use to come between one and two weeks before – for retirement extension – never have any problems with that...????

44 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Samui has never accepted too early requests for extension of stay even it officially can be done 30 days before expiry. Some years back it was not earlier than a week before; however if not busy, you could come three weeks ahead, but still depending on their mood that day: »Not good today, you better come tomorrow!« I managed almost a month ahead in the old immigration building in Nathon, presume I was just lucky, because I was told to come tomorrow, but I could through the open door see, that the "extension officer" was free, so I just walked in, smiled and said sawadee, and everything was done i five minutes. Those were the days...????

Today it would be sad to have for documents made – health certificate and bank statements – and be turned down for another week or two, where-after the documents are too old; not so much the money, but the wasted time...????

I use to come between one and two weeks before – for retirement extension – never have any problems with that...????

My concern is less urgent now that a further month has been added to the current restrictions. I thought I was going to be in a rugby scrum again but it appears not ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, evadgib said:

My concern is less urgent now that a further month has been added to the current restrictions. I thought I was going to be in a rugby scrum again but it appears not ????

A friend went yesterday to renew his annual visa. No line, no people, but still took 30 minutes because the ladies were busy talking and sharing photos on their phones. ???? They told him to come back in a week to pick up his passport.

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 9:10 PM, khunPer said:

Samui has never accepted too early requests for extension of stay even it officially can be done 30 days before expiry.

It can be done earlier than 30 days, but it has to be for a very valid reason...I renewed mine last year about 6 weeks early because my father had passed away and I needed to be in UK for approx 3 months. This was early July and my renewal isn't due until 28th Aug. I explained what had happened to 'she who must be obeyed' at the desk and she said it could be done, just needed all the usual paperwork plus copy of my flight itinerary.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone have any recent (ie post Songkran) experience re getting an income (12x monthly payments) letter from SCB (Big C if possible-Do they know what to do, given April was the earliest they'll have been asked?), and whether or not the cost of a med cert remains the same (15mins/THB 250) at TIH as in previous years?

Are there any new (Samui-specific) 'bear traps' to look out for this year?

16 hours ago, evadgib said:

Does anyone have any recent (ie post Songkran) experience re getting an income (12x monthly payments) letter from SCB (Big C if possible-Do they know what to do, given April was the earliest they'll have been asked?), and whether or not the cost of a med cert remains the same (15mins/THB 250) at TIH as in previous years?

Are there any new (Samui-specific) 'bear traps' to look out for this year?

Salient extract from @starfish in a seperate Samui thread dated last Tuesday:

Went straight to Thai International hospital, opposite Lotus, and did it there. 250 Baht as usual (enough for the retirement extension).

We are really fortunate to have such a detailed guide from @evadgib in post # 1 of this thread. Did really help me a great deal. Plus the fact, that it´s pretty quiet at Immigration nowadays, so application was a breeze.

There´s only one thing missing, which is a downloadable form of TM7, TM8 (you know, the special versions of Samui Immigration). Maybe somebody could arrange that here, i don´t know how.

Because of Samui´s "special version" we all have to go to Imm. first, just to get those damn forms = waste of time.

By the way, when i applied 1 year extension + (single) re-entry, which is 1900 Baht + 1000 Baht, i was quoted a bold 3000 Baht, to make a nice round figure, or so ????.

I didn´t want to stir up a stink, so i just paid that, to be on my way. It´s probably wrong to just pay, but who really wants to start a big discussion there.

But next time, i will prepare an envelope with the exact sum in it, which hopefully solves that little, annoying, problem in the future.

Thanks again to @evadgib

Edited by starfish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1