India alternative

4 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just letting you know where I stand on this issue.  I'm not like most expats here.

I am dynamically opposed to the bar scene in thailand.  If it were up to me nana, soi cowboy, walking street, all of it would be overpriced hotels for Chinese tourists and condos etc.  I can't stand bar girls and I can't drink alcohol anymore due to poor health.

I like good health care, low cost of living, and that's about it.  Its ok here in isan but I've got major health issues that even the docs in bangkok can't assist with anymore.  And immigration is just annoying here.

My experience with india is just hot and cheap.  Completely immersed in cultural heritage but more westernized than thailand in lots of ways.  Maybe a little grimy in some areas.  All ok with me.  I haven't stayed long enough to have more of an impression of the place, I guess.  I guess I should do that.

sorry having lived in india for 3 years in different areas for work they make Thai red tape look easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Understatement of the millennium.

80% of people do not have access to clean water or a flushing toilet.

I'll give you that but those stats can be a bit misleading. Indians are very resourceful people.  Kind of like, uh, Thais?

I'm back in the house.  No more melodramtics for the evening.  Everyone's at fault.  It's a new day

• Haha 1

I spent most of my time in Orissa, very poor state but nice people. Last time I was there was in Modi's state of Gujarat which was a real dump and he built an 850 million dollar statue (largest in the world) as his legacy. The roads are destroyed, poverty coming out of your ears and he builds an expensive statue. Been Bombay a few times and without being racist it is the biggest toilet in the world, they're even being kicked out of the slums now as the land is valuable. If you want from what I've been told/heard one of the nicest places to live/holiday go to Kerala on SW coast in India.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

sorry having lived in india for 3 years in different areas for work they make Thai red tape look easy.

Im more talking along the lines of not actually working like ever.  I haven't worked in years and not going to start.  Just a tourist visa and living in hotels.  Surely shouldn't be any problems with that as long as I don't work or overstay? 

58 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Jorge, if you do not like the bars and girls in Thailand, there are SOOOO many places in the world that would suit you far, far better, including India (but I would suggest a hill station where it's cool) or even small islands like Sri Lanka which is like an advanced India, by the way, all of these places are cheaper than Thailand for things like accomodation etc.

I live in udon where its mostly grey haired dudes who can barely walk around like me. Not much bar hopping. I'm just looking for a plan b for me and the thai wife for when things get overwhelming in terms of living expenses and immigration.  SL looks cool, I'll look into that.

Edited by SenorJorge

6 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

There's like over 50 ethnic groups there and lots are amazingly hot.

Travelling just for women is very shallow

There's something to be said for not taking life too seriously. I guess you would go there for the temples and food.

7 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just letting you know where I stand on this issue.  I'm not like most expats here.

I am dynamically opposed to the bar scene in thailand.  If it were up to me nana, soi cowboy, walking street, all of it would be overpriced hotels for Chinese tourists and condos etc.  I can't stand bar girls and I can't drink alcohol anymore due to poor health.

I like good health care, low cost of living, and that's about it.  Its ok here in isan but I've got major health issues that even the docs in bangkok can't assist with anymore.  And immigration is just annoying here.

My experience with india is just hot and cheap.  Completely immersed in cultural heritage but more westernized than thailand in lots of ways.  Maybe a little grimy in some areas.  All ok with me.  I haven't stayed long enough to have more of an impression of the place, I guess.  I guess I should do that.

Given what you wrote then India would be a good choice for you. Especially the North. Me personally I think the place is a stinking S-hole. I have worked extensively in India from 1982 until my last trip there last year. 

7 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I've visited India six or seven times over the last thirty years, sometimes for months at a time, and have travelled there extensively. I'll say this as a generalisation - India is a tough place to live as an expat, except in small pockets like Goa or Pondicherry. I'd estimate that perhaps ten percent of visitors intending to stay long term - even if such a visa can be acquired these days - end up staying. It is a wonderful country to visit, the food is great, but it is wearing, frustrating and it will grind many people down, particularly if they are not too mobile. At least go on an extended trip for a couple of months before burning your bridges in the Land of Scams.

I'm currently in Australia, after leaving Thailand. Have looked at Pondicherry via the Web. Seems you can stay at the inexpensive Ashram guesthouses, have things to do such as gardening etc and they process the necessary paperwork for long term visas. Nationally not the environment if your still into drugs, sex and R&R, but for appears to be attractive option. On the downside seems the beaches tend to be dirty, apparently most of India has unclean beaches. 

Thoughts / comments?

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Really ?......I beg to differ.....

wow-beuaty.gif

Ah, the American obsession with large mammaries surfaces again. IMHO anything more than a mouthful is a waste.

Although I'll admit, nice looking. i prefer smaller models.

Edited by Lacessit

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Ah, the American obsession with large mammaries surfaces again. IMHO anything more than a mouthful is a waste.

But when you come from cold countries you need these to keep your ears warm in winter.????

• Haha 2