India alternative

9 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

I can't make it here either.  Wife just threw me out and no way in hell I'm buying the elite visa.  The sick part of it is I married her because I really love her... I'm fed up with thailand.  Sick joke of a country for me anyways sorry to offend anyone ???? please understand all my involvement with this country is bad and my wife gave me an std that made me unable to walk now..unreal

You gotta look on the bright side, no worries about her VISA to the USA now.

12 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

However, you can just get a five year multiple entry tourism visa and go home for two months once a year to avoid overstays.

and what will you say at the airport when leaving when asked for your income tax certificate because you spent more than 183 days in a calendar year?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

Indians on the other would be flattered by a farang wanting to stay long-term because there's very few such (well, with good reason). So, the local people, police and FRRO's would likely be as helpful as they could to help out (yep, complete opposite:-)

sorry mate... i agree with most of your comments but pertaining to residence you misjudge the situation. i (we) have residence permits, own propery in India and gave it a try to live there after spending 15 years in Florida and before the now 14 years in Thailand. i liked it (kinda... sort of...) but my wife could not cope. but then she doesn't really like Thailand either.

12 hours ago, AlexRich said:

The question is where to stay in India? And would you be caught up in their tax system? 

I’ve been to Delhi several times, on business trips, nice hotels, driver, etc. I’m not sure I’d like to do it as a backpacker type. 

yes you would.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

Apparently Americans who aren't of Indian origin may apply for the ten year visa but if you are of Indian descent you must apply for the ten year.  Confusing.

void story. any citizen with Indian roots can apply for an OCI card (which looks like a passport) and is valid for life.

The Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) is an immigration status permitting a foreign citizen of Indian origin to live and work in the Republic of India indefinitely.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Naam said:

Mrs. Naam agrees, i don't.  :thumbsup:

For me Delhi belly was a constant during the 18 months I lived there - but in fairness suspect half was due to local preparation of western food - just the sickest time of my life and that included Calcutta and Madras (where you needed to declare yourself an alcoholic to buy a drink).  That said also spent 2 years in Dacca EP/Bangladesh and had no such issues (but would not make a choice to live there).  

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That's about as good as it gets.

Visually, maybe. My observations based on multiple experiences are there seems to be an inverse relationship between beauty and sexuality in the sack. The plainer ones are actually more enthusiastic about laying me, and getting laid.

18 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

I am dynamically opposed to the bar scene in thailand.  If it were up to me nana, soi cowboy, walking street, all of it would be overpriced hotels for Chinese tourists and condos etc.  I can't stand bar girls and I can't drink alcohol anymore due to poor health.

Maybe you can pitch a good turd?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Naam said:

void story. any citizen with Indian roots can apply for an OCI card (which looks like a passport) and is valid for life.

Why on earth did they pass the other mundane law then?  The fortuitness of government never ceases to amaze me.

Edited by SenorJorge
Unable to spell

17 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

I've never been to Goa.  Now I want to go.  Is there anywhere for my wife to buy what she needs to cook esan food?  Obviously young papaya would be easy to come by.  What about the rest?

Well India is renowned for spices so no issues there but you have to expect differences when comparing market produce from a land locked area to one that is a coastal city especially so when they are 5-6,000kms apart.

Generally speaking she'll be able to find the majority of produce and for those she can't then improvisation is the key and that's one of the joys of travelling. One major plus for Goa........fresh seafood!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

On every visit I met / had to try to work with so many very very tricky, dishonest and arrogant people, 

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me anybody considering India, should visit long-term a couple of times, before making any decisions. 

I'm going to be straight forward and say that not a year has passed for me in Thailand where I wasn't dirty dealed by hotels, businesses, taxis, you name it, it's happened.  I booked a hotel once in bangkok that had good reviews on it.  I won't mention the name here because it's a waste of breath anyway.  I'd stayed there before (decades ago, granted).  When I arrived, I paid cash for the room, and the hotel was 75 percent torn down, dust everywhere.  Literally, entire portions of the hotel was torn down.  Jackhammers and everything going off.  The room was a dilapidated mess.  1200 baht per night.  I went to the counter and said I'd like my money back, this place isnt being renovated, it's being demolished.  She took 600 baht and told me that there was a cancelation fee and if I didn't leave she was going to call the police!  Unreal..  Still not as bad as when I was drunk in a bar in Phnom Pehn and two "taxi drivers" tried to outmuscle me into their car to "take me to my hotel" (atm cruise probably) because "the bar close now".  However I can't think of a single trip or year in thailand when I haven't had issues.  Things are better now that I'm married.  A lot less issues.  The bad news is I won't have a spouse who understands the culture in India the way I do here.  I think if you're a farang and you make SE Asia your home there's just inherent risks and if you're not willing to take them on this just isn't the place for you.  Never had any issues across all of Europe except for exhoribitant prices.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Have you ever lived in India?  I have.  Would not do again by choice.

I was there many moons ago and travelled to India for seven months. 

The beaches in Goa were nice, food was okay, but people can drive you crazy. The citizens in Tamil Nadu in the south nod with their head when they say no, and vice versa.

But please never go into a kitchen where they prepare your food. When you see people eating with the left hand on the floor, you definitely know what they do with it. 

I made the mistake once and almost threw up right inside. Plenty of nice girls in a bigger city for short time.

But you'll always miss your " I love you too much." 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

I've never been to Goa.  Now I want to go.  Is there anywhere for my wife to buy what she needs to cook esan food?  Obviously young papaya would be easy to come by.  What about the rest?

I can only give you an idea of how it had been a long time ago. Nice beaches in Goa, decent food, also for foreigners. Fruits cheap and plenty of them. 

Your wife will find all to make her Somtham, fish is great there. My special dish was shark steak. 

I'll definitely come back one day. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

The accommodations are inferior and nothing like the value and service you can get in Thailand.  Many more street dogs.

Feces on the street.  They've abolished the 1000 rupee note for the 2000 - try paying for a 100 rupee lunch with a large note - good luck.

inferior accomodations are in line with restaurants serving 100 Rupee ($1.40) lunches.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I believe it's even harder for Brits, they haven't forgiven us for civilising them yet.
In the two and a half years I was there never came across any problem where my nationality was questioned, in fact it was a bonus. I travelled extensively by train, if trains were full I would go and speak to the Station Master, who'd always ask where I came from, have a chat, next minute I would have a sleeping berth on the train.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I lost all interest after i read that going to India is automatically means signing up for lengthy diarrhea’s.

What ever marvelous Visa offer they might have i will only see that Country from whatever the television is showing.  

I had the same problem with thailand initially.  Your body will adjust it just takes time.  Loperamide works wonders.  The only time you need to get real concerned is when you get Ameobas and parasites etc.