Fish Breeding For The Local Market

I planning to overtake a relatively well-prepared Fish Farm in Thailand - it has 5 huge Ponds, a deep Well with a big Waterstore - and enough Land for more ....

If I would like to get into the local Market, what Kind of Fish should I breed ?

Can different Kind of Fishes be breeded in the same Pond?

I planning to overtake a relatively well-prepared Fish Farm in Thailand - it has 5 huge Ponds, a deep Well with a big Waterstore - and enough Land for more ....

If I would like to get into the local Market, what Kind of Fish should I breed ?

your best bet is catfish since they are tough and easy to sell, and the selling price is good, but do not even think about farming any kind of fish if you haven't studied up on it. the information you will get in thailand will lead you to bankruptcy. i farmed catfish in thailand for three years, followed advice of local

'experts" and failed horribly until i realised that they were totally ignorant if well-meaning. realise that everything in thailand is based on subsistence only and if you farm their way you may make enough to eat, and once a year you could sell off a couple of hundred thou of fish but you will not make money unless you ignore all local advice and approach it scientifically. i eventually got it right and raised and sold over a ton per month but had to cut out the wholesalers and spawn my own fish to make it profitable. plant some waterlilies in your ponds and admire the view, but raise your fish in tanks if you want to make money! i am reading comments and reports on this site and see only guys throwing money away. there are a few (thai) factors that will prevent you from getting it right, ranging from poor quality,inappropriate feeds to unethical business practices by the hatcheries. all these problems can be overcome if you have the right information. if you think i am talking nonsense, contact me and i will tell you why you have a poor fcr,why your fish "disappear,why your fish die off for no apparent reason, and how you can raise close to a ton of fish in only one cubic metre of water. do not even begin to imagine that you can save money making your own fishfood, as unless you are a feed expert you will not even get close to producing a feed as good as the (poor) formulated feeds available in thailand. there is still hope and undeniably if you do it right you can make a lot of money-even in thailand.

if you think i am talking nonsense, contact me and i will tell you why you have a poor fcr,why your fish "disappear,why your fish die off for no apparent reason, and how you can raise close to a ton of fish in only one cubic metre of water.

WOW !!!!!!!!! Thats an AWFUL lot of fish given the ammount of water quoted

Is that figure of nearly a ton per harvest, per year, or ............what?

I must admit you have me intrigued (and i only EAT fish and couldnt catch a fish in a barrel, let alone farm them, lol !!!!)

Penkoprod

your best bet is catfish since they are tough and easy to sell, and the selling price is good, but do not even think about farming any kind of fish if you haven't studied up on it. the information you will get in thailand will lead you to bankruptcy. i farmed catfish in thailand for three years, followed advice of local

'experts" and failed horribly until i realised that they were totally ignorant if well-meaning. realise that everything in thailand is based on subsistence only and if you farm their way you may make enough to eat, and once a year you could sell off a couple of hundred thou of fish but you will not make money unless you ignore all local advice and approach it scientifically. i eventually got it right and raised and sold over a ton per month but had to cut out the wholesalers and spawn my own fish to make it profitable. plant some waterlilies in your ponds and admire the view, but raise your fish in tanks if you want to make money! i am reading comments and reports on this site and see only guys throwing money away. there are a few (thai) factors that will prevent you from getting it right, ranging from poor quality,inappropriate feeds to unethical business practices by the hatcheries. all these problems can be overcome if you have the right information. if you think i am talking nonsense, contact me and i will tell you why you have a poor fcr,why your fish "disappear,why your fish die off for no apparent reason, and how you can raise close to a ton of fish in only one cubic metre of water. do not even begin to imagine that you can save money making your own fishfood, as unless you are a feed expert you will not even get close to producing a feed as good as the (poor) formulated feeds available in thailand. there is still hope and undeniably if you do it right you can make a lot of money-even in thailand.

I'm sure a good many of the forum readers would like you to share your knowledge on the forum rather than via PM's. Please describe your methods and results.

edit... i eventually got it right and raised and sold over a ton per month but had to cut out the wholesalers and spawn my own fish to make it profitable.

I have only been doing catfish for 1 year and sold 2 tons + per month. I agree cutting out the wholesalers will help. In my case by 12%. Fry cost me about 8%. Do you really think it's worth the extra effort to do the breeding? With the costs and time involved in the breeding what do you actually save?

edit... i am reading comments and reports on this site and see only guys throwing money away. there are a few (thai) factors that will prevent you from getting it right, ranging from poor quality,inappropriate feeds to unethical business practices by the hatcheries. all these problems can be overcome if you have the right information. if you think i am talking nonsense, contact me and i will tell you why you have a poor fcr,why your fish "disappear,why your fish die off for no apparent reason,

We're all ears...and eyes!

and how you can raise close to a ton of fish in only one cubic metre of water.

At 4 fish per kilo that's 4,000 fish displacing ~200cc per fish or about 800cc. Not much water left over. care to explain how this is done and at what cost?

do not even begin to imagine that you can save money making your own fishfood, as unless you are a feed expert you will not even get close to producing a feed as good as the (poor) formulated feeds available in thailand

Just a few days ago I was speaking with a non-feed expert making his own food at B11/kg, selling 3 tons of fish PER DAY at B40/kg. I think he is not only saving money but making a tidy some also. Do you rep or have any interest in a Thai feed company?

there is still hope and undeniably if you do it right you can make a lot of money-even in thailand.

Thank God there is hope left. Please feel free to share your ideas and techniques to enlighten us guys "throwing money away".

Where are you located?

rgds

rgds

Just did a google search on high density fish farming and came up with this website. It shows a picture of a 1 cubic metre tank holding between 450 and 800 kg of catfish.

It might make some interesting reading for the skeptics out there.

Roy

Thanks for the link, Roy. Very interesting.

Here are the last two paragraphs of the article in the link. Don't they contradict each other? If you had a "highly favourable FCR" wouldn't that mean that feeding under high density culture conditions is efficient and not "wasteful" as described in the second paragraph?

The highly favourable FCR obtained by many workers under high density tank culture conditions (1.05 - 1.41) can probably be attributed to the feeding behaviour of the fish under crowded conditions. Under conditions of high density the catfish react faster to the presence of food and consume a meal much faster than under low density conditions. Fish in a low density tank leisurely select pellets from the floor of the tank. However, under high density conditions they typically go into a "feeding frenzy" as soon as food is detected.

Irrespective of whether the fish are fed a set ration by hand or whether it is made available to the fish in a demand feeder, feeding under high density culture conditions is wasteful. This is a consequence of the vigorous thrashing during the time when food is available. As soon as there is no more food the fish revert back to what appears to be passive co-existence. It is well illustrated in the movie clip

if you think i am talking nonsense, contact me and i will tell you why you have a poor fcr,why your fish "disappear,why your fish die off for no apparent reason, and how you can raise close to a ton of fish in only one cubic metre of water.

I must admit you have me intrigued (and i only EAT fish and couldnt catch a fish in a barrel, let alone farm them, lol !!!!)

Penkoprod

Considering that 1 cubic meter of water has 1 ton. A fish can't be much more than that and that there should be also some water inside the tank. So 1 ton fish in maybe 100-200 liter water sounds impossible for me.

Considering that 1 cubic meter of water has 1 ton. A fish can't be much more than that and that there should be also some water inside the tank. So 1 ton fish in maybe 100-200 liter water sounds impossible for me.

Maybe the OP is talking about 800l for the fish and then another 1000l of water. So the tank would be 1.8 m3.

Sure hope this person comes back online to enlighten/educate us.

Chownah - yes, does sound a bit contradictory doesn't it? Could you find anywhere that states whether the water is dumped or filtered or just recycled at 1 m3/hour? I'm also very curious what the electric bill for an operation like this is.

rgds

Chownah - yes, does sound a bit contradictory doesn't it? Could you find anywhere that states whether the water is dumped or filtered or just recycled at 1 m3/hour? I'm also very curious what the electric bill for an operation like this is.

rgds

Take a look at the article...it's not too long.....closed systems....one water change per hour which is different from 1m3/hour (as you well know).

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Numbers dont quite add up, 1 x cm of water = 1000litres = approx 1 tonne

theory of displacement indicates that if you place 1tonne of fish in 1 cm of water,theoretically all water is displaced by the fish. of course the mathemeticians out there will let me know this isnt so.

I am basing my theory on the displacement weight of ships ,IE.the weight of the water displaced by the hull. :o

theory of displacement indicates that if you place 1tonne of fish in 1 cm of water,theoretically all water is displaced by the fish. of course the mathemeticians out there will let me know this isnt so.

I am basing my theory on the displacement weight of ships ,IE.the weight of the water displaced by the hull. :o

Me thinks you are all taking the poster just a little too literlally.

Think 1 Cu meter of water + "nearly" one ton of fish. Possibly

in a two or three meter tank????...

He did not say he was raising a ton of fish in a 1 Cu meter tank

full of water...

Just an observation.

Bt

full of water...

Just an observation.

Bt

Read it again and I quote "and how you can raise close to 1 ton of fish in only 1 cubic metre of water" unquote.

full of water...

Just an observation.

Bt

Read it again and I quote "and how you can raise close to 1 ton of fish in only 1 cubic metre of water" unquote.

you can understand it that way that he raise 1 ton of fish in 1 cubic meter=2 ton/cubic meter together....

Or he is using that lead and mercury polluted food, which makes extrem small fishes extrem heavy....

• Haha 1

Growing fish at super-high densities isn't a good idea due to greatly increased disease risk. The rise and near collapse of the shrimp farming industry in Thailand is a classic example. Stocking densities today are a lot more conservative than they used to be.

Growing fish at super-high densities isn't a good idea due to greatly increased disease risk. The rise and near collapse of the shrimp farming industry in Thailand is a classic example. Stocking densities today are a lot more conservative than they used to be.

First you add a lot of antibiotics and the world is bright again. Than the virus come, but maybe there are also some good chemicals. Than add some hormons (no idea for fish, but always perfect for other animals, pig/cattle) for faster/cheaper growing and everything is perfect.

Some small problems, like boys get breasts and men don't have sperm anymore, the river and the beach are just a fouling black water and the antibiotics don't work anymore if you are sick.

But the profit is looking good :-)

For a fleeting moment I could visualise the armoured truck delivering all that cash from the 100 ton of catfish I was going to produce from each of my 1200cub metre ponds,"sigh"

I have here 2 old, empty 5 liter wine bottles. That should be enough to earn my living on fishes or :o:D

Just I don't know yet how I can get the 10 kg fish out of the bottle thru the bottleneck.

Just did a google search on high density fish farming and came up with this website. It shows a picture of a 1 cubic metre tank holding between 450 and 800 kg of catfish.

It might make some interesting reading for the skeptics out there.

Roy

Thanks for the link, Roy. Very interesting.

well,roy-seemsthere are some "believers" out there. i know the math sounds wrong but the fact is that these fish can breathe air and need little more than to be damp to survive. one cubic metre of water weighs a ton, and it is hard to believe that raising at these densities is possible,but if you guys get onto the site chownah?? accessed which i believe was the south african rhodes university site, you should get the picture,and yes,that guy can raise a ton per jar but it is probably the wrong shape to achieve the water exchange necessary to rear this density

For a fleeting moment I could visualise the armoured truck delivering all that cash from the 100 ton of catfish I was going to produce from each of my 1200cub metre ponds,"sigh"

I have here 2 old, empty 5 liter wine bottles. That should be enough to earn my living on fishes or :o:D

Just I don't know yet how I can get the 10 kg fish out of the bottle thru the bottleneck.

thats ten kilo of catfish if you change the water every half hour and just break the freakin bottles to get them out or wait till they get big enough to break out themselves

Ozzydom

I came across this explanation:

"Archimedes principle states that an object displaces its weight in water if it is floating (and only floating)."

Rgds

Khonwan

Penkoprod

i dont eat any fish or anything else that lives in water that anything else boinked in, but if i

did ,the last thing i would eat is a catfish, but in my situation i have to make money,and it works for me,so please dont tell anybody what these fish are up to most of the time,and for your own sake-never kiss a fish on the mouth-yes,seen them doing that,too-dirty buggers

Ozzydom

I came across this explanation:

"Archimedes principle states that an object displaces its weight in water if it is floating (and only floating)."

Rgds

Khonwan

so, according to the explanation,if a turd sinks-according to archimedes,-it must be weightless???- sorry-couldn't resist this one-promise i saw one this morning and had to fight it for ten minutes just to get it bouyant enough to flush!!!