Travelling around Ko Samui - How easy?

I will be coming to Ko Samui soon for a week's holiday, staying at Lamai. Just wondered how easy (and cheap) it is to get around the main towns and coming from the port. Is there a decent baht bus service or can i expect to get ripped off by taxis. I don't really want to rent a bike.

Apart from the new bus-service (se above post) running on the hour during daytime, and early evening, you have the options of a song thaew between 6am and 6pm for a reasonable fee, from about 20-40 baht to around 120 baht depending of distance; there is supposed to be a price list in the bed op the pick-up car, but best to always agree a price first.

1280px-Songthaew_3.jpg

At night-time, after 6pm song thaews drive like taxis, but without a meter, so you need to agree the price before you enter.

Taxi-prices, both song thaews, and metered cabs, can be relative high, and metered cabs – so-called "Taxi-Meter" – often won't drive with their meter turned on. Expect prices from 200 baht – for a short ride, or just around the corner – and around 500 baht to 600 baht for some distance, like from Laimai to Chaweng Beach. From a pier/port you should count around 1,000 baht (+/-) to Lamai for a taxi-ride, but you might be able to use a minibus, or shared song thaew, service instead, depending of which pier/port you arrive.

????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Thanks Khun Per those taxi fares are extortionate. You can get a taxi from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya for 1000 baht and that's over 100 kms.

Not at all "extortionate", the prices I quoted are actually the local bargain taxi-fares, the sign from Nathon pier/port below shows the real turists prices (the sign was real enough) – around the island is 53 kilometers on the Ring Road – bring $, US-currency users seems to have slightly benefits...:whistling:

Billedresultat for samui taxi prices

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Henryford said:

Thanks Khun Per those taxi fares are extortionate. You can get a taxi from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya for 1000 baht and that's over 100 kms.

That really does not mean anything.

In Thailand, 'taxi' style transport on almost all of the islands is a lot more expensive than on the mainland.

• Like 1

Taxis are always pricey on an island. I rented a motorcycle there, cheap and very convenient. I know you don’t like them, but it’s your best option, after you’ve been ripped off for 500 baht to get from the ferry to your hotel 

Edited by Mukdahanman

On 5/30/2019 at 7:57 AM, Tagged said:

You are on an Island now, not Pattaya, wich is the cheepest tourist city along the sea. Going to Koh Samui is an upgrade from Pattaya, and cost of course more. 

Want cheap holiday  and shitty beaches, stay in Pattaya ????

An 'upgrade ' from Pattaya is setting the bar extremely low - which granted it would have to be to class Samui as an upgrade on anything. As a keen swimmer/snorkeler I found the Samui beaches awful with dreadful access. I drove around the island ducking into any likely road to find something better - rarely rewarded and always long shallow 'mudflats' to get anywhere near anything worth swimming in. Ko Lanta is way better and you can actually drive along the coast road and see beaches,as you can in Phuket  - not Samui. Awful place.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

An 'upgrade ' from Pattaya is setting the bar extremely low - which granted it would have to be to class Samui as an upgrade on anything. As a keen swimmer/snorkeler I found the Samui beaches awful with dreadful access. I drove around the island ducking into any likely road to find something better - rarely rewarded and always long shallow 'mudflats' to get anywhere near anything worth swimming in. Ko Lanta is way better and you can actually drive along the coast road and see beaches,as you can in Phuket  - not Samui. Awful place.

Koh Samui for a normal touist is an upgrade from Pattaya, and Koh Lanta is the next level from that one again I aggree. Koh Lanta was not mentioned on the op post. 

3 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Well that really helped the OP - not.

If you just want to moan, please start your own thread.

• Like 1

Koh Samui and Koh Phangan are the most expensive places to stay in the whole of Thailand so bring plenty of money if I was staying on either island I would hire a car/ jeep for the week it would be cheaper in the long run.

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Well that really helped the OP - not.

If you just want to moan, please start your own thread.

Do you regard any factual criticism giving examples as 'moaning'? This is an assessment of Samui beaches based on my experience as a swimmer/snorkeler and diver- which another has already endorsed. How do you know whether that won’t be of interest or help to the OP? 

28 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Do you regard any factual criticism giving examples as 'moaning'? This is an assessment of Samui beaches based on my experience as a swimmer/snorkeler and diver- which another has already endorsed. How do you know whether that won’t be of interest or help to the OP? 

The question was about "travelling around Koh Samui", not beach access – and however, there are plenty of public beach access to great swim-able beaches, but one cannot drive along the beaches, as compared to other destinations. You mainly live if not beachfront, the beach-side of the Ring Road, on Samui, and those living further back, might need to check where public acces to beaches are, or use a navigator or Google-Map.

1000w_DSC04762e2.jpg

"My Samui-beach"...????

The waters around Samui and her sisters are normally referred to as prime snorkling and diving sites, so seems like you unfortunately might have missed something during you visit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The question was about "travelling around Koh Samui", not beach access – and however, there are plenty of public beach access to great swim-able beaches, but one cannot drive along the beaches, as compared to other destinations. You mainly live if not beachfront, the beach-side of the Ring Road, on Samui, and those living further back, might need to check where public acces to beaches are, or use a navigator or Google-Map.

1000w_DSC04762e2.jpg

"My Samui-beach"...????

The waters around Samui and her sisters are normally referred to as prime snorkling and diving sites, so seems like you unfortunately might have missed something during you visit.

Well, Koh Tao used to be, and some is still left, but not even close to healthy and good anymore. Kho Phangan and Samui, vary bad, but op did not ask for those activities. Most divers know where to go, and would not ask here is my best guess. 

I have dived around most places in Thailand, and nothing is what it used to be anymore. 

Anyway, I have enjoyed all the islands, and not especially expensive to me any of those. Kho Phangan and Koh Tao I lived longer periods as well. 

My favorite village/beach on Samui, is Lamai beach. Quiet and nice. Expept from the skeletons on the beach, you are perfectly fine there for a short period of time. Also rent a bike and go over the hills to the other beaches on bad sandy roads, until you hit the short autobahn for the kings memory in the middle ????

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

1000w_DSC04762e2.jpg

"My Samui-beach"...????

Where is that beach?

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Where is that beach?

I really should not tell it, however its Maenam Beach, at the northern part of Samui, photo taken from the Lomprayah catamaran ferry that lands at the Western end of the bay.

Maenam Beach was voted #9 on Asia's Top-10 beaches some years back, mainly because of its privacy – numerous resorts from backpacker huts to five-star direct on the beach – however, there are also a number of public entrances, for example here by the Lomprayah Pier.

Photos of the eastern tip of Maenam Beach is often seen in ads and leaflets...

ETC_Koh-Samui_3.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/31/2019 at 4:42 PM, Mukdahanman said:

Taxis are always pricey on an island. I rented a motorcycle there, cheap and very convenient. I know you don’t like them, but it’s your best option, after you’ve been ripped off for 500 baht to get from the ferry to your hotel  

The problem is that doesn't help me getting to and from my hotel from the ferry. Also i intend to drink at night so riding a motorbike pissed is not a good idea. Maybe for a day or two during the day to explore the island.

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

1000w_DSC04762e2.jpg

"My Samui-beach"...????

Thank you- although that shot looks like one of those moment in time pics unrepresentative of the reality the other 99% of the time. I did look extensively on a few trips there and have to say that 'prime snorkeling and diving sites' is a TAT reference. The nearest reasonable dive site is Ko Tao (but who wants to risk that?!). There is virtually no decent snorkeling directly off any of the main Thai islands any more ,including Lanta and Phuket. Only really on trips to outlying islands now. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

The problem is that doesn't help me getting to and from my hotel from the ferry. Also i intend to drink at night so riding a motorbike pissed is not a good idea.

The ferry-hotel thing is not an issue as Lomprayah has a 150 THB mini van service to each point of the island. Same for going back if you book at a travel agent, they´ll pick you up. I´ve seen private people offering the same service on Songserm and I think Seatran does that too. If you stay in Lamai or Chaweng you can walk home or take a taxi bike in between as these are the only points with night life (or did I forget one ??)....ok maybe Fisherman´s village

22 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Thank you- although that shot looks like one of those moment in time pics unrepresentative of the reality the other 99% of the time. I did look extensively on a few trips there and have to say that 'prime snorkeling and diving sites' is a TAT reference. The nearest reasonable dive site is Ko Tao (but who wants to risk that?!). There is virtually no decent snorkeling directly off any of the main Thai islands any more ,including Lanta and Phuket. Only really on trips to outlying islands now. 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, divers will sail out to preferred diving spots. I'm not a diver myself, but got friends that dives, and the use to head to the area by the northern part of Koh Phangan. There are plenty of great snorkling bays in the Ang Thong marine park

I actually live beachfront, and I have hundreds of beach photos that might look like that one percent, and I enjoy the real-life look every day. I have my study beach-side, so when I get bored of Thaivisa forum, I just look out...????

wIMG_8803w1024.jpg.c992dd8aea4dd353008d1b0893ce88bf.jpg
This is how the beach look right now (metadata: 2019:06:02 14:37:41) seen from just outside my study towards the Lomprayah Pier, i.e. seem from middle of the bay – the man with the flag try to rent out a jet-ski...????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

The problem is that doesn't help me getting to and from my hotel from the ferry. Also i intend to drink at night so riding a motorbike pissed is not a good idea. Maybe for a day or two during the day to explore the island.

Depending of which ferry port you enter, you have a number of options, like mentioned with the Lomprayah minibus service, or a shared song thaew from Nathon pier (Seatran) or Lipa Noi pier (Raja Ferry).

Also depending of where you stay in Lamai, the nightlife can be within walking distance – might even be (very) short walking distance – however, if you are sober enough to walk...:whistling:

But by experience, a free late night motorbike taxi in Lamai is possible...????

I remember one night when I starting to walk the short distance down the deserted beach road to my bungalow, after the by that time late "SuperSub" afterparty ended – and I never drink more than maximum two alcohol items a night, so I can normally manage the straight line from Lamai Square and a few hundred meters south – when out of nowhere a beautiful young girl on motorbike stopped, and offered me a ride. I politely thanked her, but said "no thanks" as I could easily walk, but she insisted with »free ride«, so I didn't have much choice other than ride pillion. Oh my God????, she drove so fast, and not straight down the road, but in and out of all small sois (alleys) with various closed bars, and back on the beach road, and stopped hard up right in front of my resort. Only then I realized how "pissed" she was – she could hardly keep balance, and I had to level her up straight – however the ride was both free, and also my most scaring roller-coaster kind of experience I ever had. Just a warning, should a beautiful girl in Lamai offer a late night free motorbike-taxi ride...????

Perhaps she was a ghost...????

Taxis are indeed extortionate - as costed per kilometre they are at least 4 times higher than most other tourist areas in Thailand.

however the roads on Samui are so poor and the traffic so congested that it takes about 2 to 4 times as long to get anywhere.

Also there are four too many this casing far too few fares which far from making them competitive, makes them greedy to earn as much as they can from any single trip.

Even Song Tears are a joke but at least their prices are within a normal holiday budget. I'd use them in preference to most alternatives - as for the buses - I'm sure if you ever find one going the right way at the right time, they are very pleasant....I saw one going to KPN on the very last month.........