How long does it take for a US/Canadian package to arrive to Thailand?

Lemonlime

Well, i’ve Heard that the Thai delivery system is super duper slow and the custom is slower as well? If I want to buy things from the us or Canada then how long will it take for the package to get to ME? 

For me, the last few years, it's been horrible.....

Used to take anywhere from 2-3 up to 6-7 weeks & was mostly ok....

The Last few years anything prime, uncommon to TH, or stuff of value seems to just disappear, (the incidental stuff comes right through)...With or without a tracking number....

Somebody has a great pipeline, underground, or black market going....

I've all but given up....

And, we're the perfect victims.....

Edited by pgrahmm

10 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

The Last few years anything prime, uncommon to TH, or stuff of value seems to just disappear, (the incidental stuff comes right through)...With or without a tracking number....

What...

i was thinking about ordering some expensive custom made shape-wear online...

Maybe I should change my mind now...

If you are lucky, 10-15 days, if unlucky 2-3 months!!!

I recently had 2 packages sent from the same supplier on consecutive days - second parcel arrived after 12 days, the first parcel took just over 13 weeks!!

Where possible I use Register Mail. Things usually get here within a couple weeks. When things have barcodes that need to be scanned and signatures that need to be collected, they are more likely to be delivered.

USPS Priority is pretty good (which is how a lot of the stuff I order from Amazon gets here). Beware of couriers like FedEx/UPS/DHL though as you will get hit with additional import charges and processing fees (as they all use 3rd party Customs Brokers to process their shipments).

There are also 3rd party "forwarding" companies that will give you a "US Address" that you can have stuff delivered to and then they forward it on to you (for a small fee). One advantage to them is they give you options for shipping (and insurance). At least the one I'm using does. That way, if you are trying to buy something (say from Amazon or eBay) and they won't ship it to Thailand (as many vendors won't do International Shipping) you can have it sent to the forwarding company and reshipped. 
The one I use usually gives me at least 6 options for shipping (like USPS Express and Priority or FedEx or UPS options).

I usually pick the cheapest option that also provides tracking (which is often the USPS Priority option). Stuff gets here within 10-12 days after the forwarding company ships it. 

13 hours ago, Lemonlime said:

What...

i was thinking about ordering some expensive custom made shape-wear online...

Maybe I should change my mind now...

You can opt for expensive shipping like DHL and get it within a few days.  But....

I recently ordered multiple items from different places.  Most of them came through but 3 of them got caught in customs.  It seems that customs does random checks.  Two were with DHL and they notified me. I had to email them a copy of my passport and visa stamp plus an item description.  I got them two days later.  The other came via UPS and got stuck with customs in Bangkok. They wanted me to either mail them my passport or to physically travel there from Chiang Mai.  I declined and the item was "abandoned".  There is no option of returning the item.  Fortunately, the item was about $6 and Amazon reimbursed me. 

I have never had a problem with Fed Ex although I have had problems with UPS, so I don't use them anymore.  I have also had problems with anything posted from Canada, but not the US.

10 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

You can opt for expensive shipping like DHL and get it within a few days.  But....

I recently ordered multiple items from different places.  Most of them came through but 3 of them got caught in customs.  It seems that customs does random checks.  Two were with DHL and they notified me. I had to email them a copy of my passport and visa stamp plus an item description.  I got them two days later.  The other came via UPS and got stuck with customs in Bangkok. They wanted me to either mail them my passport or to physically travel there from Chiang Mai.  I declined and the item was "abandoned".  There is no option of returning the item.  Fortunately, the item was about $6 and Amazon reimbursed me. 

Gosh, I was thinking about ordering expensive shapewear with steel in it... I bet the customs will be harsh on me, currently I am not in Thailand. Maybe I should order them NOW and bring them to Th instead...

As two others have noted, I've had a USPS Priority mail and a 1st class mail envelope arrive in exactly 14 days. One was an envelope with flower seeds in it, a few ounces.

The second was a Flat Rate Priority Mail video cassette mailer box. That cost me $35 but had excellent tracking with email all the way.. Post office said 7-10 days with caveat about country specific delays.

I held my breath on the box as it had prescription meds, a phone case/holster, more seed packets, and some glass screen protectors, all clearly stated truthfully on the customs manifest.

Package had not been opened and showed no physical abuse.

I get the impression that insured small USPS packages with tracking numbers are largely ignored. Maybe I've just been lucky though.

Good luck. I always keep a list and buy what I want at home and bring it back here in suitcases I take home empty for that purpose. Never had any problems with such as checked baggage but US customs often fumbles thru things with a polite note telling me so, but nothing ever missing.

• Like 1

1- depends on where (town, city, state) it departs from.

2- Depends on destination city, large cities faster. 

My packages departed from LA to CNX. it took 10 days to 2 weeks. Depends on holidays. I had a package that arrived to Thailand during Songkron. it took 3-4 weeks 

Edited by The Theory

13 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

As two others have noted, I've had a USPS Priority mail and a 1st class mail envelope arrive in exactly 14 days. One was an envelope with flower seeds in it, a few ounces.

The second was a Flat Rate Priority Mail video cassette mailer box. That cost me $35 but had excellent tracking with email all the way.. Post office said 7-10 days with caveat about country specific delays.

I held my breath on the box as it had prescription meds, a phone case/holster, more seed packets, and some glass screen protectors, all clearly stated truthfully on the customs manifest.

Package had not been opened and showed no physical abuse.

I get the impression that insured small USPS packages with tracking numbers are largely ignored. Maybe I've just been lucky though.

Good luck. I always keep a list and buy what I want at home and bring it back here in suitcases I take home empty for that purpose. Never had any problems with such as checked baggage but US customs often fumbles thru things with a polite note telling me so, but nothing ever missing.

exactly what i do. make a list and bring an empty bag when i go home. 

The prescriptions I take are not available in Thailand (T3). (It is illegal to import one's prescription medication! But all supplements are legal.) From Canada, my daughter posts them to me: airmail $25, Xpresspost $75, both (touch wood) never more than two weeks. Planning to carry in a year's supply this year.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 4:59 PM, pgrahmm said:

I noticed no change what so ever I order loads of stuff from Lazada, ebay and have just had 1 or 2 packages lost ever. Maybe its because i don't order much in the US and all the thieving is there and not in Thailand ? 

Alternatively It could have gotten bad in your area, Im sure its not a country wide thing. 

8 hours ago, robblok said:

I noticed no change what so ever I order loads of stuff from Lazada, ebay and have just had 1 or 2 packages lost ever. Maybe its because i don't order much in the US and all the thieving is there and not in Thailand ? 

Alternatively It could have gotten bad in your area, Im sure its not a country wide thing. 

When I've followed with tracking numbers, they show getting here.....I've waited a few days, then go to the PO if no delivery.....

I've been told 2 things = the tracking number is no good - or the tracking number doesn't exist - Even though I have the number on a print out with the updates.....They just give the I don't know answer and shrug....

37 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

When I've followed with tracking numbers, they show getting here.....I've waited a few days, then go to the PO if no delivery.....

I've been told 2 things = the tracking number is no good - or the tracking number doesn't exist - Even though I have the number on a print out with the updates.....They just give the I don't know answer and shrug....

Just no compatible tracking then it happens you get what you pay for. I had the same in reverse too.

But my point was more either your really unlucky or I am really lucky. I order a lot on ebay / amazon and lazada and I never lose anything. Ok in hundreds of packages 2 or 3 times so far. So either I am real lucky or your real unlucky. Personally I think there might be a post guy in your area stealing. 

My area is great no problems.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just no compatible tracking then it happens you get what you pay for. I had the same in reverse too.

But my point was more either your really unlucky or I am really lucky. I order a lot on ebay / amazon and lazada and I never lose anything. Ok in hundreds of packages 2 or 3 times so far. So either I am real lucky or your real unlucky. Personally I think there might be a post guy in your area stealing. 

My area is great no problems.

It was great for over a decade (same PO) - now a disaster.....A local FB group started the same question due to missing packages....The consensus was that this particular PO was the worst as far as non deliveries & it all fell within the same time frame......

It would be easy to make stuff disappear for many of those workers.....

We're close to CM, with many farangs so a language gap shouldn't be a huge barrier....

10 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

It was great for over a decade (same PO) - now a disaster.....A local FB group started the same question due to missing packages....The consensus was that this particular PO was the worst as far as non deliveries & it all fell within the same time frame......

It would be easy to make stuff disappear for many of those workers.....

We're close to CM, with many farangs so a language gap shouldn't be a huge barrier....

I think its a post guy, I give mine a bottle of JW black every year. I am lucky to have the same guy most of the time. He goes the extra mile for me.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I think its a post guy, I give mine a bottle of JW black every year. I am lucky to have the same guy most of the time. He goes the extra mile for me.

So, I can have a bottle of JW Black mailed to me & know it ends up with the right guy !!!!

• Haha 1

I think it's better to have something from AliExpress here than from America itself, it was just my experience anyway. And I do not see anything good with that completely. I was in Eastern Europe and got my packages somewhat in like month at max.

I just received a thin paperback book I ordered from the US....

It originated in St. Louis & took 5 weeks to arrive.....

The printed mail label says priority in small letters, but scanning the label quickly there's nothing appearance wise to look like priority mail....