U.S. measles cases in 2019 highest since 1992

webfact

U.S. measles cases in 2019 highest since 1992

2019-05-30T231443Z_1_LYNXNPEF4T28T_RTROPTP_4_USA-MEASLES.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia September 30, 2014. REUTERS/Tami Chappell/File Photo/File Photo

(Reuters) - The United States recorded 971 cases of measles in the first five months of 2019, surpassing the total for any year since 1992, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Thursday.

There were a total of 963 U.S. cases of measles in 1992, the CDC said in a statement.

Public health officials blame the resurgence on the spread of misinformation about vaccines. A vocal fringe of parents opposes vaccines, believing, contrary to scientific studies, that ingredients in them can cause autism.

Although the virus was eliminated from the United States in 2000, meaning the disease was no longer a constant presence, outbreaks still happen because of travelers from countries where measles is common, the CDC said.

(The story corrects highest number of cases since 1992, not 1994.)

(Reporting by Rama Venkat in Bengaluru; Editing by Richard Chang)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-31

Republicans reject Democratic attempts to tighten vaccine laws

Most Republicans are rejecting Democrat-led state bills to tighten childhood immunization laws in the midst of the worst measles outbreak in two decades, alarming public health experts who fear the nation could become as divided over vaccines as it is over global warming.

Democrats in six states — Colorado, Arizona, New Jersey, Washington, New York and Maine — have authored or co-sponsored bills to make it harder for parents to avoid vaccinating their school-age children, and mostly faced GOP opposition. Meanwhile in West Virginia and Mississippi, states with some of the nation’s strictest vaccination laws, Republican lawmakers have introduced measures to expand vaccine exemptions, although it’s not yet clear how much traction they have.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/16/republican-reject-democrat-vaccines-1361277

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

outbreaks still happen because of travelers from countries where measles is common, the CDC said.

Answer is simple. Do not allow anyone into the US that hasn't got proof of vaccination.

Also, unless a real reason not to have children vaccinated in the US, no government benefits should be given to parents of unvaccinated children.

It would help if vaccine was available in separate dose though. A lot of antipathy to the vaccine is to the 3 in 1 dose.

I was put next to a friend with measles so I caught it. That was the "vaccination" for measles in my childhood.

6 hours ago, wisperone said:

Because of all the crazy evangelical antivaccinators. People should not have the choice whether to vaccinate for measles. It was eradicated in the US by 2000. Now back and growing. Keep the antivacs out of the school system so they don't infect others. Too bad the kids are at risk due to their stupid parents.

Unfortunately in the western world also many non-evangelicals reject vaccinations, see the IMO nonsensical and dangerous post from justin case.

I remember the good old days.  Your neighbors got the measles, your mom would take you to visit the neighbors, you got the measles, got out of school for a week (whoopee), the the neighborhood was back to normal.  

Absolutely amazing what the human immune system can accomplish in it's own!

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The CDC has run massive demographic studies and debunked all these claims. Oh wait, these researchers must be fiddling with the numbers to serve Big Pharma...

Just more proof that the more conspiratorial minded you are, the more likely you are to oppose vaccination.

Didn't vaccines eradicate smallpox? Pretty good result. 

Even if some children get unwanted side effects, herd immunity is essential to keep society safe. If people don't want to comply with sensible precautions to keep society safe, they should leave society and find an island somewhere to live the way they like.

However, I should be encouraging everyone to not have them, as the world really needs less people in it and disease is as good a way of reducing the population as any.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Didn't vaccines eradicate smallpox? Pretty good result. 

Even if some children get unwanted side effects, herd immunity is essential to keep society safe. If people don't want to comply with sensible precautions to keep society safe, they should leave society and find an island somewhere to live the way they like.

However, I should be encouraging everyone to not have them, as the world really needs less people in it and disease is as good a way of reducing the population as any.

Better than birth control? Really? 

Edited by bristolboy

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I strongly advise you to print that post out, then show it to a health professional and ask for their professional opinion. 

I was a "health professional" for many years, and most of us wouldn't have known any more than the general population. All we knew was how to deliver it. 

You need to be more specific when referring to "health professionals". From care assistants to medical consultants there are probably dozens of separate versions of "health professionals".

Have a nice day.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was a "health professional" for many years, and most of us wouldn't have known any more than the general population. All we knew was how to deliver it. 

You need to be more specific when referring to "health professionals". From care assistants to medical consultants there are probably dozens of separate versions of "health professionals".

Have a nice day.

Let me put it another way, he’s not going to get the help he needs here on TVF.