Murder for 50,000 baht: Thai wife's elder brother wanted British expat’s money

rooster59

<<<<Deleted post edited out>>>>

Despite a few killings, it doesn't make Thailand unsafe (not looking to the traffic accidents!). I feel safe in Thailand and have felt safe since I live here. You need to use common sense as well: don't get very drunk and insult Thais. Don't get drunk and try to get home alone in the dark hours. Don't upset people (maybe Thai handle this less better than foreigners who get critized, but in general you shouldn't upset people too much). It doesn't mean though you should be always quiet.

If it was true that the brother indeed showed violent behavior before and killed peolple for money before, I made sure that I was as far as possible from this guy and prepared myself for any violent action. Maybe he was thaught not to fear Asians, but if he already knew the behavior of that brother he should be aware and prepared.

A few roque Thai killing people for money does not make Thailand very unsafe. I think you have a higher chance of getting killed in the traffic in Thailand!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disgusting excuses for human beings......putting money over a humans life is supremely pathetic. And murdering your own sister with a bloody wrench....there are no words....rotting in Hell is probably it for him.

1 hour ago, Cheops said:

Despite a few killings, it doesn't make Thailand unsafe (not looking to the traffic accidents!). I feel safe in Thailand and have felt safe since I live here. You need to use common sense as well: don't get very drunk and insult Thais. Don't get drunk and try to get home alone in the dark hours. Don't upset people (maybe Thai handle this less better than foreigners who get critized, but in general you shouldn't upset people too much). It doesn't mean though you should be always quiet.

If it was true that the brother indeed showed violent behavior before and killed peolple for money before, I made sure that I was as far as possible from this guy and prepared myself for any violent action. Maybe he was thaught not to fear Asians, but if he already knew the behavior of that brother he should be aware and prepared.

A few roque Thai killing people for money does not make Thailand very unsafe. I think you have a higher chance of getting killed in the traffic in Thailand!

I tend to agree.  I have felt much more unsafe in some of the premier First World cities, esp in the US, than I have in Thailand.  However, if some moronic Thai gets it in their head that murdering you for money is in their interest, well, all bets are off.  But it's not like that is a common occurrence. You are just as likely to whacked by a robber here as in virtually any other country.  Best advice - Don't flaunt what ya got.  Best to blend in like an individual fish in a large school of fish.  There are a bunch of middle class Thai in our village who wear the 'bling', drive the 2 million THB cars and trucks, and live large to support their perceived status.  The Mrs wears a smallish gold bracket and that's about as far out their as we get. I'm not trying to keep up the the Prawits if you know what I mean! There are a bunch of other people who should attract the attention of the morons who are looking for a quick score.  Plus any idiot coming on to my property is first going to contend with my pack of dogs.  Yep - pack. 
Granted, you need to be vigilant without being paranoid.  But don't freaking advertise either.  Anyway, I don't have a lot because I don't need a lot.  And the Mrs likes 'stuff' but more in the realm of cheap stuff you buy off of TV and have delivered COD.  I don't think anyone is going to want to kill us for our 2500 THB convention oven or our run-of-the-mill microwave oven.

3 hours ago, outsider said:

The three are dead men walking, so goodbye to them.

Maybe, maybe not.  Once out of the news cycle you never hear the end of the story unless you dig.  Murders simply disappear from the public eye.  What happens to them?  A limited few get executed, some incarcerated for a long time, but I think most get some pathetically small sentence especially if they murdered a foreigner.  But the Thai MSM seldom follows up.

Give ya an example.  What ever happened to the guy who macheted Troy Lee Pilkington to death in Bangkok following a dispute over a $1.50 fare in 2013. Taxi driver Chidchai Utmacha was the killer.  Ever hear a word since? Not unless you dig.  After it happen you could find statements like this: "One man is dead and another could face a death sentence after a dispute over a $1.60 taxi fare in Bangkok."
But!  What sentence did Chidchai Utmacha receive?  Don't laugh - a 10 year sentence. He's out in 2023.  He received the same sentence that the kids who wrote graffiti on Thapae Gate's wall were threatened with.  And given 'good behavior' and being a 'model prisoner' he may already be out.  Show me the downside to killing people especially farang.  For Thais who understand the system, well, murder can simply be a decade in jail and worth it to them.  
I have no faith in the justice system here.  Not for murder.  Not for the murder of foreigners. Make the story disappear and they grant the murderers leniency and compassion.  Screw the victim. Well, unless you can frame the murders as Burmese or non-Thais.  
Welcome to xenophobic Thailand - don't expect justice for those who assault, batter, hospitalize, or kill foreigners.  Think about it.  Why do you think these people go from zero to murder in less than 30 seconds?  Little if any downside for their actions.  Capital punishment?  <laughs>

Moral of the story, watch your @ss while here in Thailand, especially if you have money......the more money you have, the more you need to watch out. Live among people with the same income levels, thus helping to avoid these types of problems. 

50,000 baht? Is that all what's left? What has all the rest gone?

Oh, sorry, wrong question, this is a question for Thais to answer to among themselves, not for Farang to get involved in, the man, RIP, is dead in Thailand, and his wealth(!) will stay here for the local, ahum, the local, ..., to decide about.

Don't worry Alan, your money is going to make quite some Thais happy for sure. Whichever reason you died for, your will have brought happiness to quite some Thais.

19 hours ago, madmen said:

Any farang flaunting his wealth surrounded by poor Thais out in the sticks will always be a potential target

Lesson learned, never marry in Thailand, because it's becoming blood money feud among the family members.

Typical mindset.

They do nothing but cheat those farang who worked most of their life's for their money. 

How many other farang have been either attacked or murdered in the past simply because of money and greed? I was one of those attacked and stabbed plus my home wrecked with belongings stolen by the Thai family who were my ex Thai partners family

Paradise...

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Stats to prove that please.

Thanks in advance. 

Use Google. The Wikipedia article about murder rates in different countries (and its referenced sources) should do just fine.

You're welcome in advance.

The rules of survival:

1) Never be worth more dead than alive to anyone.

2) Rent, don't buy.

3) it's not usually your Thai wife you need to fear. It's her family members.

4) Don't move to your wife's hometown. You will be seen as an ATM by relatives and if you don't play that role you will be seen as the enemy.

5) Write your will strategically. The same goes for life insurance.

6) Don't share accounts.

7) Don't display wealth no matter how much your wife wants to.

This guy broke every rule on the list and now he's dead.

2 hours ago, Senechal said:

The rules of survival:

1) Never be worth more dead than alive to anyone.

2) Rent, don't buy.

3) it's not usually your Thai wife you need to fear. It's her family members.

4) Don't move to your wife's hometown. You will be seen as an ATM by relatives and if you don't play that role you will be seen as the enemy.

5) Write your will strategically. The same goes for life insurance.

6) Don't share accounts.

7) Don't display wealth no matter how much your wife wants to.

This guy broke every rule on the list and now he's dead. 

Can't agree with you more!

On 6/1/2019 at 4:58 AM, ChipButty said:

Sima was given a life sentence commuted to 25 years in recognition for his help in the investigation. 

So he grassed his mates up

just as anyone would do if left to rot in the big tiger. school of hard knocks and keeping it real.

11 hours ago, connda said:

I don't think anyone is going to want to kill us for our 2500 THB convention oven or our run-of-the-mill microwave oven.

Just be careful a jealous neighbour doesn't stab you using the forks from the fondue set. 

No only if you have greedy relatives around. Very few foreigners gets attacked in the sticks. Its 90% family involved in these attacks. The sticks is much safer than Bangkok or any other city. But if you are stupid and flash cash around or jewelery then you make yourself a target.

Any farang flaunting his wealth surrounded by poor Thais out in the sticks will always be a potential target

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/1/2019 at 12:48 PM, Mavideol said:

price of a foreigner's life in Thailand,...  the scum bags should rotten in jail

Sad to say - the value of a life in Thailand is cheap like everything else independent of the nationality ... 

9 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I have heard stories about insurance policies being taken out on farang and unknowing to the farang then a convenient accident occurs.

Link to actual confirmed occurence?

4 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

No only if you have greedy relatives around. Very few foreigners gets attacked in the sticks. Its 90% family involved in these attacks. The sticks is much safer than Bangkok or any other city. But if you are stupid and flash cash around or jewelery then you make yourself a target.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agree, never under any circumstances make yourself more worth dead than alive … :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, kuma said:

Link to actual confirmed occurence?

This came from a very reliable source who actually witnessed this event in her own village.... you think this will be publicized?  The lady took out an insurance policy and had a convenient car accident take care of the rest and got away with it.

Archived