Buying a used car from different province?...

I live in Chiang Mai but am interested in buying a used car from a private seller in Bangkok.

What would be the process for transferring ownership at the land office?

Would we go to the Bangkok or Chiang Mai land office? (I doubt I can get sell to come here)

If we go to the Bangkok office then do I need to go to the Chiang Mai office to get it registered here?

How do I also get Chiang Mai plates?

• Like 1

I bought my car in Bangkok, seller did necessary paperwork there, still on the same plates five years later, no need to register locally as far as I am aware.

• Like 1

My experience:

Register the sale (ownership transfer) in the Province where you buy the vehicle.

Drive the car to your home Province's (in your case, Chiang Mai) Land Transport Office to transfer the registration/insurance.  It took me about an hour including a brief inspection of the car and you are issued Chiang Mai plates and registration.  You - of course - require all the usual documents (blue book, proof of sale documents, Tabien Baan, etc).  Small fee (don't recall the amount) and you are on your way.  Quite painless.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sfokevin said:

1. What would be the process for transferring ownership at the land office?

2. Would we go to the Bangkok or Chiang Mai land office?

3. If we go to the Bangkok office then do I need to go to the Chiang Mai office to get it registered here?

4. How do I also get Chiang Mai plates?

1.  Go to CM DLT office you have all your paperwork from seller and receipt of sale, the car, the car blue book.

They then check over car and you pay some small fees.

2.  Best to go CM.

3.  No as 1.

4.  At the CM DLT office.

• Like 1

I went through this with a motorbike last week, transferring the registration from Phuket to Phayao. The inspection stations in Phayao wouldn't do an inspection (required to pay current road tax) on a vehicle with plates from another province. Had to take the vehicle to the main DLT office for the province, get in the queue to turn in the old plate, get in the inspection queue to verify serial number, then get into the queue to process paperwork and have new plate and book issued. All in, about 3 hours and 1,000 baht at the DLT.

• Like 1

We have a friend who bought a car in Chiang Rai and we went with him to the DLT office in Chiang Mai last week as his Thai is limited

( my wife is Thai )

There was a couple of hours wait to complete the process and they gave him an appointment to bring it back on another date for an inspection.

We live in Fang where there is a DLT office but they wouldn’t do the process as it was bought outside the province and it had to be done at the head office.

If you want details of the paperwork required email me direct.

They did require the residency document from Immigration, but if you have your own house book that may be acceptable was for mine 2 years ago when I bought a  new car but that was from Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

My experience in October of last year:

purchased a Ducati from a Thai person in BKK. When I went to pick up the bike he gave me: 

-blue book

-power of attorney 

-copy if his tabian Baan 

-copy of his Thai ID card

-letter staring I had purchased the bike from him for X amount 

-Ducati Streetfighter minus the BKK plate (it was 999 and he wanted 30K for it)

*note* I got 2 copies of everything signed by him

on my return to Pattaya I went to ChonBuri Immi and got a residence certificate. 

I was informed at Banglamung LTO because I was changing registered provinces I had to go to the main branch in ChonBuri. Okey dokie.

Off to ChonBuri LTO with my:

-res cert

-copy passport info page, entry stamp, visa, departure card and address receipt

-copy of my rental contract 

-copy Thai license (not reauired)

-all paperwork from seller

-ducati 

I presented everything at the office and I had forgotten something (can’t remember what it was) so back to Pattaya. 

I came back to the LTO a week or so later and got sorted and told to bring my Duc around for inspection. I had Termi cans so it failed the dB test (107. 96 is the upper limit) so back to Pattaya again. 

On my 3rd visit to ChonBuri LTO (2hr round trip dodging trucks) with my standard cans on, straight to inspection, all clear! Happy days. Head upstairs to do the paperwork ‘sorry sir, your residence certificate expire’ 

Christ on a bike, FML. 

‘Maybe can go Sriracha’ I was t so sure but hey, why not? Off I go to Sriracha Immi. 

‘Sorry sir, Pattaya only’ righto! 

Back to ChonBuri LTO (4th visit) to pick up all my paperwork (had a feeling I would need it) and back to Soi 5 Immi Jomtien. 

Yep sure enough I got the 3rd degree, lucky I had all the paperwork, to get my res cert. this was just as they were starting to restrict giving out res certs last year. 

Back to ChonBuri LTO paperwork in order. All good, stamp, stamp, go to that window pay your money and wait one hour. Hit my blue book freshly stamped with my details, new plate and tax sticker and off I go. 

If youre changing provinces Thai to Thai you can keep the plate but Thai to foreigner must change plates (changed a couple years ago apparently)

How to do it? As per Kwasaki's post above + a little additional information:

As you will be registering a change of province you must got to the main DLT office, not any local one. They will almost certainly ask you to return 3 days later to collect the new plates.  Its not a difficult process but involves the usual visits to several counters - my Thai is limited but I managed to change my bike's registration to Nakhon Ratchasima from Chiang Mai myself - the staff were very helpful.  The business about going back for the plates is a little frustrating - I'm sure it could all be done in the same day if they got their act together but that's the way it is.

One thing that may be of interest to you, it certainly might answer a question for me - I once bought a car on Bangkok plates with my ex wife (Thai).  She told me that when she went to change the ownership at the DLT, they told her that as it was Bangkok registered, there was no need to change the plates. Apparently this only applies to vehicles registered in Bangkok. Other changes between provinces require new plates. Do any of our more learned contributors know if this is true?

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The business about going back for the plates is a little frustrating - I'm sure it could all be done in the same day if they got their act together but that's the way it is.

You have to wait because one DLT sends a letter to the other DLT (you pay a few THB for the stamps for this letter), i assume a copy of the ownership transfer form. And only after this has arrived there you can actually transfer the ownership.

I bought a car in Bkk which was registered and had plates from Nakhon Nowhere, 10 hours drive, way up in the N. East.

Took car and papers to Nonthaburi Reg Office. They said you have to go to Nakhon Nowhere first and get it transferred to Nonthaburi, then come back here. I said its a waste of time, I'm not going. I told her In my country it's all computerised, no hassle.

The Nonthaburi Reg Office lady said, "it's my last day here, for years I have hated these stupid rules. I'll do it for you." Off she went with my papers and came back with a new blue book and new plates. They even fitted the plates for me in the Reg Office car park.

The whole job took half and hour. The satisfied expression on the Reg Office lady's face was something to be seen.

Amazing Thailand.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

The Nonthaburi Reg Office lady said, "it's my last day here, for years I have hated these stupid rules. I'll do it for you."

I don't doubt that you were told that but I didn't experience those 'stupid rules'. I bought a motorbike in Chiang Mai, on Chiang Mai plates, took the documents to Nakhon Ratchasim main DLT office and changed it into my name on new Nakhon Ratchasima plates. No hassle, no 'stupid rules'.

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

You have to wait because one DLT sends a letter to the other DLT (you pay a few THB for the stamps for this letter), i assume a copy of the ownership transfer form. And only after this has arrived there you can actually transfer the ownership.

As I say, it could be done the same day if they got their act together - e-mail is a wonderful invention.

• Like 1

I think I would prefer to get my name on the Blue Book in Bangkok as I will have the owner with me and want to assure my name on the title before I hand over the money... Then layer sort out getting Chiang Mai plates when I go home... Will the Land office in Bangkok put my name and Chiang Mai address on the Bluebook (I will have a certificate of residency from CM Immigration)?...