Phuket: "State sponsored extortion" forces prices for tourists up, claims top businessman

webfact

Well Larry Cunningham who was Honourable Australian Consul here for some 8 years had constant run ins with local Phuket authorities over rorts and corruption..basically pure greed on all fronts!He gave up after getting death threats a few years back and surprise,surprise things have not changed one bit..but gotten worse!The strong THB certainly has contributed to this but as you know the locals are blind to any of this and just think the Golden Goose will just keep on laying..Well unfortunately the Golden Goose has flown and like many Australians they are flying with it back to Bali and of course Vietnam..much more bang for your buck and certainly nowhere near the $6/10 AUD a beer you now pay in Phuket/Samui or Bangkok!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite the dubious figures presented by Thai authorities, it would appear that business has dropped between a third and a quarter of what it was this time last year, and has been steadily dropping over the last several years. 

Tourist figures may very well be up, but these hordes of tourists are of little value to the Pattaya businesses, most costs having been paid in advance overseas. On top of this, gangs of extortionists claiming to be government officials roam the bars demanding

extortionate fees for a license that enables one to turn on the television in your bar ???? But on the positive side, I remember seeing a copper plaque half way down Pattaya Beach stating that it had been voted "The cleanest beach in S.E.Asia" 555 !

4 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

A regular visitor (friend of mine) to Patong for many years and who recently visited said, 'this is my last visit here due to increased prices'... cost of night outs on par with back home!

I totally agree. Been sitting here on a beautiful Mediterranean island only yesterday chatting to different tourists from around the world about Thailand in places like Hua Hin, Phuket etc them saying' they've found these and other places in Thailand expensive. Especially,  compared to other countries. It's slowly but surely cutting off it's own nose to spite it's face - so to speak ......

I dont  think the rise in prices would be a problem if the country and its’ leaders were improving the infrastructure, solving the waste water problem, and stopping the road carnage which with over 20000 deaths a year is enough to stop any tourist coming here. France ,for  example, had 3000 deaths last year. Instead, they offer filthy streets , stinking drains, and a chance’ to swim in garbage and worse. All with a high rise in prices. Thailand is not a valid tourist destination anymore.

1 hour ago, Phuketboy said:

haha That is the problem.  Stupid people with stupid logic like you.  Would be better to decrease the prices so more tourists come.  More tourists mean more money.  Increasing the prices only makes tourists go to other places that are cheaper like Cambodia and Vietnam.  You my friend are a fool.

You obviously didn't get the sarcasm like everyone else here did, how embarrassing. Now go and put on the dunce cap, you've earned it!

I have Thai friends here in Samui who closed their restaurant after 20+ years because they said that they just couldn't afford all of the taxes that the government kept coming up with. Great people and I really miss their food.

As an aside, Samui is like a graveyard right now. Lots of restaurants, including some famous ones, for sale in Chaweng now. Places in Fisherman's Village are canceling their live music because there's no business. Fisherman's Village was always crazy busy year round.

1 hour ago, JamJar said:
2 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

haha That is the problem.  Stupid people with stupid logic like you.  Would be better to decrease the prices so more tourists come.  More tourists mean more money.  Increasing the prices only makes tourists go to other places that are cheaper like Cambodia and Vietnam.  You my friend are a fool.

I think you missed the sarcasm....

Or he could be Thai and simply doesn't recognize sarcasm.

2 hours ago, sydneyjed said:

Well Larry Cunningham who was Honourable Australian Consul here for some 8 years had constant run ins with local Phuket authorities over rorts and corruption..basically pure greed on all fronts!He gave up after getting death threats a few years back and surprise,surprise things have not changed one bit..but gotten worse!The strong THB certainly has contributed to this but as you know the locals are blind to any of this and just think the Golden Goose will just keep on laying..Well unfortunately the Golden Goose has flown and like many Australians they are flying with it back to Bali and of course Vietnam..much more bang for your buck and certainly nowhere near the $6/10 AUD a beer you now pay in Phuket/Samui or Bangkok!

You know who was in charge of Patong at that time, right, both officially and unofficially?

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Happening all over the country, Thailand is pricing itself out in almost every respect !

Just noticed the large increases in many products in the big Supermarkets.

Big C Pattaya Klang Salad bar now 29 Baht !

Up from 19

8 hours ago, webfact said:

One of Phuket's leading businessmen has gone online to claim that state sponsored extortion is forcing prices up for tourists. And the charges are forcing businesses out and tourists to leave. 

Says the man who runs the tuktuk cartel.. 600 members in Patong alone paying 10k a month 'member fees'.. 

What exactly is pushing up the costs for tourists ??

That's ok.  Just keep hammering tourist and long-stay expats.  What could go wrong, 'eh? Foreigners are just evil 'kon daang'.  "Different people."  Not wonderful Thai people - salt of the earth.  Foreigners you can milk.  Foreigners you can bleed.  Stupid foreigners.  Just keep screwing them and they'll never notice.  

BTW, kudos to Khun Peechawut for not having a typical Thai worldview.  That probably does not make him a popular sort of guy. 

I think the Thai business people have been lead to believe the Chinese have got the money to pay for these new prices no questions asked but they have computers and friends that have traveled around they, not a land of no news anymore and they are not a land of millionaires I bet most of them have been and gone by now

image.png.1b8c9d2ca34973712c48cfad91b96b2d.png

Captain, could it be that this is one of those 'Pot calling the kettle Black' cultures? It meets all the criteria. Hypocrisy, finger pointing and denial.

Kirk.jpg.5798b0a4f08b41fa28a0321733bc6678.jpg

Spock, that's possible. Scotty beam us up. Mr Sulu, warp factor a bazillion, get us freakin outta here.

Having lived in Thailand for 6 years and visiting for 15 years, I can say that I'm leaving for good.  Thai gov't officials are short-sighted, greedy, corrupt with zero ability for urban planning.  Phuket a perfect example of a "resort" town where the tourists must walk in the street.  What were charms 10+ years ago have progressed into now annoyances due to lack of an ability to invest and develop an area with a vision.  Government officials are just a corrupted mafia.  Zero ability to lead a community, just extort from it. 

Archived