Flying into Savarnabumi Airport

Hello.
Okay, a British man with a British passport is in London, and gets a 60 days tourist visa at the Thai Embassy. He flies into Thailand, no problems.
At the end of his 60 day stay, he flies to Hong Kong or Singapore for a day trip. And then enters back into Thailand on the same day, at Savarnabumi Airport. He only wants a short stay stamp (30 days) . He's got his flight ticket to go home to England pretty soon after coming back into Thailand.

Now, what are the chances of the Thai immigration staff not letting him back into Thailand, at Savarnabumi Airport ? Surely, the chance is zero ?

And prior to the 60 day holiday in Thailand, the man was not in Thailand for about eight or nine months.

Edited by tonbridgebrit

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless he has other reasons to go to Hong Kong it would be best to apply for a 30 day extension of there 60 day entry at immigration.

It should not be problem entering unless he has done several 30 day visa exempt entries before.

But this man needs to go to Hong Kong for a day trip. The last 30 day visa exempt entry was about eight months before the 60 days holiday.
And thanks for your comment, greatly appreciated.

If he is not living in Thailand and the trip to HK is not a ruse to get another 2/3 months into Thailand, there should not be any problem entering Thailand. 38 million people enter Thailand and we don't know how many are denied entry. Assuming it is 38 thousand, it is only 0.1% It cant be more than that. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

What does this man's passport look like? How many entries into Thailand have been stamped into this passport?

During the last four years, there's been four 60 day tourist stamps. One per year. And after each 60 day tourist stamp, there is a 30 day visa on arrival, but they are all from land borders, not any airport.
So, that's roughly three months per year, for the last four years. This is not a man who stays in Thailand on a permanent basis.

38 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

If he is not living in Thailand and the trip to HK is not a ruse to get another 2/3 months into Thailand, there should not be any problem entering Thailand. 38 million people enter Thailand and we don't know how many are denied entry. Assuming it is 38 thousand, it is only 0.1% It cant be more than that. 

Well, it's more about paranoi and worry, about being not allowed in because it is an airport, Savarnabumi Airport. If it was about coming back in at a land border, the worry wuld be far less.   ????

You're "This man's" probably alright in that case. He doesn't have any 'more than 6 months in a year' breaches which the Bangkok airports seem to be looking for.

However, for the cost of £100 or so, I would get a new passport. All the denials seem to start off with a passport full of Thai stamps. I speak from personal experience here. An alternative would be to fly back from Hong Kong to Vientiane and then cross at Nong Khai.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He wouldn't have a problem. To avoid any stress he could obtain an extension and a reentry permit. That way makes it 1 million % (Thai speak)

Hello there.
You mentioned the re-entry permit ??  Thanks for saying this, and I've done a bit of reading about it.

Okay, how's this ?  Fly into Thailand with the 60 day tourist visa. Get that re-entry permit, costs 1000 baht, during the holiday. Now, the 57th, or 58th day of the holiday, fly from Bangkok to Hong Kong for this day trip.

On flying back into Bangkok from Hong Kong, immigration will notice the re-entry permit and will certainly allow this man into Thailand, surely ? One million per cent.

And, the flight from Bangkok to London, that's already been booked to fly one or two days after the Hong Kong day trip.  So, guaranteed to be allowed into Thailand at Savarnabumi, and that means being able to fly from Bangkok to London. Am I correct ??   ????

1 hour ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Hello there.
You mentioned the re-entry permit ??  Thanks for saying this, and I've done a bit of reading about it.

Okay, how's this ?  Fly into Thailand with the 60 day tourist visa. Get that re-entry permit, costs 1000 baht, during the holiday. Now, the 57th, or 58th day of the holiday, fly from Bangkok to Hong Kong for this day trip.

On flying back into Bangkok from Hong Kong, immigration will notice the re-entry permit and will certainly allow this man into Thailand, surely ? One million per cent.

And, the flight from Bangkok to London, that's already been booked to fly one or two days after the Hong Kong day trip.  So, guaranteed to be allowed into Thailand at Savarnabumi, and that means being able to fly from Bangkok to London. Am I correct ??   ????

A little better would be to get the extension and then the re-entry permit before the HK trip. Immigration is liable to give your friend a strange look if asked to reinstate a permission to stay with only a day or two remaining rather then a fresh 30-day visa exempt entry. Actually, assuming fewer than six visa exempt entries since the middle of 2015, I would forget about the re-entry permit and assume the visa exempt entry will be OK.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, BritTim said:

A little better would be to get the extension and then the re-entry permit before the HK trip. Immigration is liable to give your friend a strange look if asked to reinstate a permission to stay with only a day or two remaining rather then a fresh 30-day visa exempt entry. Actually, assuming fewer than six visa exempt entries since the middle of 2015, I would forget about the re-entry permit and assume the visa exempt entry will be OK.

Thanks, I see what you mean. The attempt to make yourself look more better might back-fire and cause more suspicion.
It would be best to make sure that, the print-out for the onward flight from Bangkok to London is available when entering Savarnabumi from Hong Kong. That way, the immigration officer knows that this man is leaving Thailand pretty soon. Actually, in one or two days time.

Right, thanks for your help. Man's got to think about getting or not getting this one thousand baht re-entry permit. There's been four visa exempt entries since mid 2015. But there's also four 60 day tourist visa stamps. That's four 60 day stamps, each one has a visa exempt entry after the sixty day stamp.

13 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Right, thanks for your help. Man's got to think about getting or not getting this one thousand baht re-entry permit. There's been four visa exempt entries since mid 2015. But there's also four 60 day tourist visa stamps. That's four 60 day stamps, each one has a visa exempt entry after the sixty day stamp.

I do not think that history would prevent a Westerner getting another visa exempt entry. Neither recent time in country on tourist entries, nor the total number of visa exempt entries goes over any warning threshold. It is truly extremely unlikely that there could be a problem, and I would not spend 2,900 baht along with the hassle of an immigration office visit (that can lead to its own complications, like TM30 notifications) just to avoid something about as likely as being struck by lightning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Hello there.
You mentioned the re-entry permit ??  Thanks for saying this, and I've done a bit of reading abou

Apparently you did a bit too little reading.

Get a 30 day extension at an immigration office in Thailand first.  Then if you still want to visit Hong Kong or wherever, , get a re-entry permit.

Re-entry permit does not add any time to your stay, it just lets you back in Thailand and preserves your existing permission to stay, which would be pretty pointless unless you first extended your permission to stay.

when you get an extension of your permission to stay, you gain nothing by waiting until the last minute. The 30 day extension begins when the 60 day original entry ends. Most offices will let you get the extension about a week before the 60 days ends.

Edited by Suradit69

5 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Thanks, I see what you mean. The attempt to make yourself look more better might back-fire and cause more suspicion.
It would be best to make sure that, the print-out for the onward flight from Bangkok to London is available when entering Savarnabumi from Hong Kong. That way, the immigration officer knows that this man is leaving Thailand pretty soon. Actually, in one or two days time.

Started getting the bends trying take in all this continuous dialogue and now came up for air deciding to jump ship save me any further discomfort .......

1. Enter on 60-day TV

2. A week or so before expiry, extend permission to stay by 30 days at CW (1900 Baht)

3. Fly to HK, being sure to buy single reentry permit at Swampy (1000 Baht)

4. Make trip to HK, return same day or whenever, within validity of extension of stay.

5. Fly back to UK before expiry of extension of stay..

Easy.

2 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Started getting the bends trying take in all this continuous dialogue and now came up for air deciding to jump ship save me any further discomfort .......

This is no doubt due to the third man introduced in the OP, bringing the air of a Graham Greene whodunit to the thread. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

little better would be to get the extension and then the re-entry permit before the HK trip. Immigration is liable to give your friend a strange look if asked to reinstate a permission to stay with only a day or two remaining rather then a fresh 30-day visa exempt entry. Actually, assuming fewer than six visa exempt entries since the middle of 2015, I would forget about the re-entry permit and assume the visa exempt entry will be OK

it's great advice but not perfect...extention, re entry permit ok
but to protect himself even more he should fly from hong kong to laos
and cross the borders in nong khai.....3 condoms ... you know !

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He wouldn't have a problem. To avoid any stress he could obtain an extension and a reentry permit. That way makes it 1 million % (Thai speak)

Seems a waste of 2900 baht to me. And opening oneself up for TM 30 questions!

Edited by jacko45k

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

I do not think that history would prevent a Westerner getting another visa exempt entry. Neither recent time in country on tourist entries, nor the total number of visa exempt entries goes over any warning threshold. It is truly extremely unlikely that there could be a problem, and I would not spend 2,900 baht along with the hassle of an immigration office visit (that can lead to its own complications, like TM30 notifications) just to avoid something about as likely as being struck by lightning.

Right, being struck by lightning is very unlikely. So it's best to simply fly into Bangkok on the 60 day tourist visa, and fly home to England at the end of this 60 days. And do the Hong Kong day trip just days before the 60 days expires, and not bother with re-entry permit and don't bother with any visit to immigration during the time in Thailand.  Chances of being not allowed into Thailand after the Hong Kong trip are very unlikely.

Thanks for all the above comments. Some have been pretty funny.

• Like 1

Hi guys:

I got this question:

I've plan, it goes like this:

In November: 60 day TV at the embassy+ 30 day extension. Out to Phil for 2 to 4 weeks. Return to LoS, 30 day stamp and then a 30 day extension.

Is that OK ?

And will it be an issue for November next year?

3 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

In November: 60 day TV at the embassy+ 30 day extension. Out to Phil for 2 to 4 weeks. Return to LoS, 30 day stamp and then a 30 day extension.

Is that OK ?

It should not be a problem unless you have a long history of tourist visas and visa exempt entries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It should not be a problem unless you have a long history of tourist visas and visa exempt entries.

Since 2014, I use to do 4 trips/year to LoS . Trips 2 to 4 weeks. I had extension twice: (5 n 6 week trips). That's all

The first time I want to apply for a visa and stay longer...

3 hours ago, Los Luver said:

Since 2014, I use to do 4 trips/year to LoS . Trips 2 to 4 weeks. I had extension twice: (5 n 6 week trips). That's all

The first time I want to apply for a visa and stay longer...

No problem

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. We have to bear in mind that, getting a Single Entry Tourist Visa is not trivial anymore.

So, just to say again, a man wants to go to Thailand for sixty days, with a day trip to Hong Kong.

How about this. He is British, with his British passport, in England.
Do not bother to apply for the SETV at the Thai Embassy. Just fly into Thailand from Britain, on day one. The flight back to Britain from Bangkok, is on day fifty nine. Now, on day twenty nine, fly from Bangkok to Hong Kong. Stay in Hong Kong for one night, fly from Hong Kong to Bangkok on day thirty. And finally, fly from Bangkok to Britain on day fifty nine.

On the internet, the cheapest room in a down-market Hong Kong guesthouse/hotel is only about fifteen pounds per night.

Doing it this way, no need to apply for a SETV at the Thai Embassy in London. No need to go to the website, no need to fill in the online form, no need to upload any photos, no need to pay the fee. And one night stay in Hong Kong will be cheaper than the fee needed when applying for the SETV at the Thai Embassy in London.

So, will this be a good way of doing things ? What are the chances of NOT being allowed into Thailand, on day thirty, when flying from Hong Kong into Bangkok ?  The last exit stamp out of Thailand, prior to day one, was eight months prior to day one of this future trip. And all flights will be paid for before the trip starts.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:16 PM, tonbridgebrit said:

It would be best the man had the printout when he boards the plane in Hong Kong. He will be asked for it at check in by the airline.

That's for visa exempt.

49 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

What are the chances of NOT being allowed into Thailand, on day thirty, when flying from Hong Kong into Bangkok ?  

What are u trying to achieve? A little over 60 days if what you mentioned before still stands? Do you really need to travel to Hong Kong? Do you want to travel to Hong Kong? One night in Hong Kong is not that economical as you say in my opinion, and what about the flights? Flights are about 8k return from Bangkok. Or you have them already? Is it a matter of saving money? Time? SETVs can be extended at Local Immigration for 30 days for 1,900 baht.

Etc etc......

Many options and scenarios.

Edited by lkv

50 minutes ago, lkv said:

What are u trying to achieve? A little over 60 days if what you mentioned before still stands? Do you really need to travel to Hong Kong? Do you want to travel to Hong Kong? One night in Hong Kong is not that economical as you say in my opinion, and what about the flights? Flights are about 8k return from Bangkok. Or you have them already? Is it a matter of saving money? Time? SETVs can be extended at Local Immigration for 30 days for 1,900 baht.

Etc etc......

Many options and scenarios.

Hello. Thanks for your response.

Yes, this man has to go to Hong Kong for a day-trip, during the sixty day holiday in Thailand.

There are budget airlines who sell a plane ticket, Bangkok to Hong Kong, and Hong Kong back to Bangkok, for under 8000 baht, that's under two hundred pounds.

It's purely a case of, can the trip it be done without having to apply for a Single Entry Tourist Visa, in London, at the Thai Embassy. And that's bearing in mind, recent changes mean that, it's not simple and trivial to apply for a SETV when in Britain.

1 hour ago, tonbridgebrit said:

It's purely a case of, can the trip it be done without having to apply for a Single Entry Tourist Visa, in London, at the Thai Embassy. And that's bearing in mind, recent changes mean that, it's not simple and trivial to apply for a SETV when in Britain.

Yes it can be done.

If he gets any questions say on his second visa exempt entry, he can explain it to Immigration just like you've explained it here, that he had to travel to HK anyways for a meeting, and it is more hassle free to have a 60 day holiday in Thailand this way, rather than with a tourist visa from an Embassy, and he will go back to the UK (his home country), at the end of his stay.

I'm quite certain there won't be any issue.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1