Shooter kills four in Australian city of Darwin

webfact

Shooter kills four in Australian city of Darwin

screenshot_9414.jpg

video screenshot

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A gunman killed four people and wounded one in the Australian city of Darwin on Tuesday, authorities said, in one of the country's most violent attacks in years.

A suspect had been arrested, police said.

"At this stage we do not believe this is terrorism related. This is one individual who has acted individually and, unfortunately, taken the action they have," Police Commissioner Reece Kershaw told reporters.

A man has been arrested after a gunman killed four people and injured another at five different locations in the northern Australian city of Darwin, local authorities said on Tuesday. Rough cut (no reporter narration)

Kershaw said a 45-year-old man, who was known to police, had been taken into custody within an hour of the first shots being reported in the northern city.

The suspect, who had been on parole since January, was believed to have used a shotgun, Kershaw said. Police had identified five crime scenes, including pubs, a park and a convenience store.

"We are still trying to establish the intent and motivation behind this," Kershaw said.

Australia has some of the world’s toughest gun control laws, adopted after its worst mass shooting, when a gunman killed 35 people at Port Arthur in the island state of Tasmania.

A murder-suicide last year in Western Australia in which seven members of a family were killed was the country's worst mass shooting since the Port Arthur incident.

(Reporting by Paulina Duran; Editing by)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-05
  • Like 1

The shooter was on parole and wearing an ankle bracelet locator at the time of the shooting BUT "the bracelets were not a "tactical tool" for police" (ABC news).

How difficult would it be for the computer monitoring bracelets to let police know if a known offender was in the area of a major incident?

Edited by Ozman52

12 hours ago, ndreamer said:

The government just spent massive amounts of money to bring tourists and locals there. Paying for relocations and then this happens.

I took my wife there just before we left to singapore, I loved it.

tourists would still go there, meanwhile in thailand TOURISTS get stabbed,attacked,shot,raped,murdered and no tourists care, so many shootings in thailand and it does not affect tourism. 

if this happend in thailand big chance it would never get published in english or internationaly.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, ta158 said:

tourists would still go there, meanwhile in thailand TOURISTS get stabbed,attacked,shot,raped,murdered and no tourists care, so many shootings in thailand and it does not affect tourism. 

if this happend in thailand big chance it would never get published in english or internationaly.

"if this happend in thailand big chance it would never get published in english or internationaly."

Plenty of stories like this one appeared on the forum over the years. Mostly sourced from English language media.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/5/2019 at 6:56 PM, Morch said:

"if this happend in thailand big chance it would never get published in english or internationaly."

Plenty of stories like this one appeared on the forum over the years. Mostly sourced from English language media.

so just because there is plenty does that mean every single time it is published to english news??? i read thai news everyday, loads of shootings, murders and other crimes not published to thai visa or bangkok post, i never said it never gets published, i said big chance it would never get published to english.... even murders of expats not everytime gets publish to english news (thai visa/bangkok post)

Edited by ta158

On 6/8/2019 at 11:40 PM, ta158 said:

so just because there is plenty does that mean every single time it is published to english news??? i read thai news everyday, loads of shootings, murders and other crimes not published to thai visa or bangkok post, i never said it never gets published, i said big chance it would never get published to english.... even murders of expats not everytime gets publish to english news (thai visa/bangkok post)

Guess we'll have to disagree.

On 6/9/2019 at 4:46 AM, HeyHeyHey said:

Name / ethnicity?

Benjamin Glenn Hoffmann / White Australian. Criminal out on parole, ICE user. Alleged trigger GF was also in relationship with another male who he was seeking to find & murder. Failed to locate the guy.

• Thanks 1