The earthing of refrigerators

antoniuni

18 minutes ago, samtam said:

Thanks, Metropolitan. 

Is earthing necessary?

I've obviously been running my old fridge for 15 years without it being earthed.

I have the Shucko on all my kitchen appliances, but without adapters, and not in Shucko sockets, and I have never had any electrical faults/shocks.

Much better to replace with grounded plug - no issue after guarantee period.  Especially refrigerators often have some leakage (that you will feel if in bare feet and touch).  Having a Safe-t-cut type device will normally provide lifesaving protection (if not bypassed) but plug are cheap and easy to replace and that should provide path to ground if metal goes hot and blow fuse before anyone touches (you do get a zap even with an RCBO).  Alternative for new equipment/guarantee is to install the proper outlet (they are available here).

Most appliances made for Thailand now have the unique Thai 3 round pin plug which fits normal outlet but have not seen in market for sale as just a replacement plug (but have not been looking).

14 minutes ago, samtam said:

Is earthing necessary?

If safety is an high concern for you, then yes earthing is necessary.

A rule of thumb, in wet areas ALWAYS use earthing, no doubt.

I've obviously been running my old fridge for 15 years without it being earthed.

My fridge is not connected to earth either. I kept the green/yellow wire in the bag with the manual.

The location of the fridge is dry, it is in the living area and not in the kitchen. (space issue)

Fridge is in good state, paint at the door handle intact.

I will get a tingle when I touch some naked metal and the compressor is working it was always like that.

That is said an tingle, the same with touching the back of computer cases with the top of one finger, and not zapped like I was before with an old fridge at parents-in-law house which was not earthed in the kitchen with open wall.

Our dogs are a pretty good indication of when something is leaking, they tent to sniff everything and every day again and when there was a leak they will never be near it for a while.  Now they still roam around the fridge :whistling:

I have the Shucko on all my kitchen appliances, but without adapters, and not in Shucko sockets, and I have never had any electrical faults/shocks.

Same here, the only thing that is earthed are the fixed appliances (A/C, ups, Inverters, .. and the microwave-oven and laundry machine that's in the patio outside) and some of the desktop computers in the mancave.

The items in the kitchen here all have 2 prongs plugs.

All outlets have earth.

No heaters or waterpumps.

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Much better to replace with grounded plug - no issue after guarantee period. 

Good advice but I would not cut the plug but replace the whole cord if the appliance has a metal mantle/case.

Many Shucko plugs here with kitchen appliances seems to have an earth connection but they don't. Only two cores.

Before cutting the plug, check inside the machine if there's an connection for earth. If not, leave it. If there is; and the cable is 3 core then replace the plug and if the cable is 2 core then replace the whole cord.

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Most appliances made for Thailand now have the unique Thai 3 round pin plug which fits normal outlet but have not seen in market for sale as just a replacement plug (but have not been looking).

I love this plug and happy to see that the TIS came effective since a few years.

It's more sturdy then the replacement plug with two flat prongs and round earth stick.

I have seen the replacement plug with 3 round pins, but only once and ugly it was with the clamp outside.

2 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

It's more sturdy then the replacement plug with two flat prongs and round earth stick.

But the flat pins do not confuse - aligning the Thai 3 pin plug is a try and try again affair as it is not obvious which pin is ground and being an almost perfect triangle not as obvious which way to mate.

Thanks, Lopburi & Metropolitan. I will have my condo technician weigh in on Monday. The new fridge was removed, as I cancelled the order.

7 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Before cutting the plug, check inside the machine if there's an connection for earth. If not, leave it. If there is; and the cable is 3 core then replace the plug and if the cable is 2 core then replace the whole cord.

But I did see inside, and there was an earth connection.. I will re-order the fridge, (as it's the only one I like on the market here, and one of the few with a water feed for chilling water and ice making), and see if my technician can install a new cable with earth wire included and 3 prong plug.

Back of fridge

1202620797_Samsungplug3.jpg.5918ef45e1aee426586da0ab19d6e4f3.jpg

Two prong plug, plus the earth wire they were going to insert into the socket hole, which they were gong to attach to the earth wire inside the socket.

629933114_Samsungplug4.thumb.jpg.c2a206f72c257b8480636e896907b845.jpg

Be aware that model is likely not made for Thailand (where most people would not consider direct water feed) so if anything goes wrong will likely require importation of parts (have experienced this on an older model we have (which had compressor failure several weeks ago - right at the normal 17 year lifespan).  We only had about 3 service calls in all those years so overall a good experience.

FYI:  Locally replaced compressor and running fine again for 7,200 baht.

Edited by lopburi3

My LG has a water feed too, and is coming up for about 17 years. It has had a compressor replacement, (about THB5k) a couple of years ago, and the water feed has leaked, but been repaired. But otherwise it works well. I have heard the oddest noises recently, so I was trying to anticipate a breakdown, which I could really do without in this time, of all times, so I ordered this Samsung online, and my experience has not been good, including delivery of the wrong model the day before. Anyway, now that I know a little (!) bit more about plugs etc, I will re-instate the order.

• Like 1