Welcome to Australia, will you be choosing electricity or food?!

Page 4 from today’s Sydney Daily Telegraph...

A GROWING number of families in Sydney’s west are turning to charity for food after spending all their money on power bills.

Salvation Army Auburn Major Paul Moulds said yesterday the charity had expanded its food program in the west because of the increase in calls for help as people struggle to afford both electricity and groceries.

“I think one of the greatest images of inequality today in our society is people who are heating huge mansions who never think about their power bill and other people who are sitting shivering at night because they’re afraid of what it will mean for them if they put the heater on,” Mr Moulds told 2GB’s Ben Fordham. “Some people have paid their bill and they’ve got no food to eat.”

Mr Moulds claimed the charities were forced to step up because of a failure to help people in need.

“Just recently with the cold snap that hit Sydney we just were inundated with people coming in asking for blankets, we ran out. We had to put an appeal out for extra blankets because people don’t want to use their electricity,” he said.

IMG_4980.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I think you'll find the fault lies largely with State governments & their incompetent bureaucrats, not with the Federal government (whose powers in this area are quite limited).

I think it's a bit of both, no one really cares because if they were serious they would fix it.

They ( the government ) have been taking about reeling in the power companies for the past two-three years and still nothing has changed, it's all just BS talk.

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

people who are sitting shivering at night because they’re afraid of what it will mean for them if they put the heater on

Move to North qld.  Not to far up cause you will need AC. I found The sunshine coast to be perfect weather, no ac or heat required. I disagree that OZ is expensive assuming your not living in the major cities. Rent assistance helps a great deal

You also get an extra $36 pension supplements if living in OZ . All states have a remote living allowance of an extra $20 but you need to check the postcodes. The pension card helps a great deal for travel and near free meds, Im paying 56000 baht a year for one imported med here that costs $60 a year in OZ

The big supermarkets ALWAYS have specials especially the mark down on meat so a freezer would be a good investment. Beer is expensive but home brew is not illegal like here and its fun to make and cheap! Being a fishing fanatic I always lived by the sea and would usually bag a catch of Tailor and salmon off the beaches so always had fish fillets in the freezer

With the OZ dollar bleeding out slowly There must a point where living OZ where a dollar is actually worth a dollar is going to be a good option for some and when you factor in free medicare (not many do because they have no insurance here) then it becomes even more attractive.

re.PNG

• Like 2
2 hours ago, madmen said:

The big supermarkets ALWAYS have specials especially the mark down on meat so a freezer would be a good investment. Beer is expensive but home brew is not illegal like here and its fun to make and cheap! Being a fishing fanatic I always lived by the sea

Woolworths and Coles do have discounts but rarely on meat and it's only ever on a few items that they want to get rid of before it goes off.  Try buying 4 x lamb chops and see how much they are. Beer is very expensive ... if you buy a pot glass QLD or a Middy glass NSW you are looking at $5-7 depending if outside happy hour or the pub location.

As for living by the sea ... any town or location from Caloundra to Mackay is tourist area's and therefore everything is increased in price. As for the fishing,  don't you need a fishing license in Australia to go fishing  ??

4 hours ago, Recession fears as economy hits lowest level since 2009 global financial crisis

Australia’s economy grew by 1.8 per cent over the past year and by just 0.4 per cent in the three months to March, marking the weakest activity since September 2009.

While the quarterly figure was an improvement from the 0.2 per cent growth in final quarter of last year, it still fell below market expectations.

The data was released just 24 hours after the Reserve Bank cut interest rates to an all-time low of 1.25 per cent.

Greenwood added the worst-case scenario for Australia would be for unemployment to rise.

“If that happens, then the economy could go backwards at a very sharp rate of knots which is a reason why there's been urgency from the Reserve Bank in cutting interest rates

44 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Woolworths and Coles do have discounts but rarely on meat and it's only ever on a few items that they want to get rid of before it goes off.  Try buying 4 x lamb chops and see how much they are. Beer is very expensive ... if you buy a pot glass QLD or a Middy glass NSW you are looking at $5-7 depending if outside happy hour or the pub location.

As for living by the sea ... any town or location from Caloundra to Mackay is tourist area's and therefore everything is increased in price. As for the fishing,  don't you need a fishing license in Australia to go fishing  ??

Beer expensive  but I love a bottle of red and thats cheap with no fruit juice nonsense in it. Fishing licence only for fresh water.

When they do discount meat you buy a weeks worth rinse repeat..easy peasy. When were you in OZ last? lamb chops $4.40 half a kilo (90 baht !!!) https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-national/product/part_2917548P

Plenty of cheap rent in qld. Gladstone a place I have been to many times as a mate owns a car dealership and a very serious fishing boat.  $130 a week one bedder and thats without rent assistance. I just punched in QLD in the bottom link , plenty of places

https://www.realestate.com.au/rent/between-0-150-in-queensland%3b+/list-1?source=location-search

2 bedroom house in Rockhampton $150 and then knock off rent assistance and rent out the second room and you laughing

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-rockhampton+city-413922479

All the above was a 5 minute search on google . Plenty more about if I searched for a few hours and I like the sea but for those that dont need water there are even cheaper housing

Edited by madmen
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

You can live cheaply if you are careful and own your own Condo/House.

agree .... If you own your own House or Appartment you can live cheap if you shop wisely and buy only the cheapest woolies/homebrand products. But don't think you'll any spare cash left over because you won't and you won't be eating steak too often that's for sure.

Don't even think about going out for dinner .... you, the missus and two kids $60-80 minimum at any club or cheap place. In Thailand I can eat out almost every night for $10-15.

Some things are cheap in oz but generally it's expensive.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Australia has become one of the most expensive countries in the world and consumers largely have the Government to thank, new research suggests.

Bananas, books, cars, housing and retail are all areas where Australians are paying too much, according to Dr Hartwich.

"We are always told we are living in this miracle economy, the envy of the world, the one economy that survived the GFC, and it's all true, but ordinary consumers do not feel they are living in this blessed economy - they actually feel ripped off and overcharged," Dr Hartwich said.

Australia is more expensive than in New Zealand, the UK, France and the US.

In America they have competition in grocery stores , in Australia they had the big two for years , woolworths and coles . Coles reported net profit after tax of $381 million for the six months to December 31, down 29 per cent from the same period a year earlier. This is why groceries are so expensive . Plus for a supplier they pay big money to have their item in a prime location .So there is more cost 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Rubbish. I have spare cash every week. I go buy bulk rump steak that's cheap and why better than the seconds you get in Thailand. Wife and I can eat out with a beer included for $20-24 between us. It all comes down to how you shop. 

oh well, you won't have to worry soon because you'll be in a recession according to the Financial news. Maybe food stamps will be the go  !!

good luck in Oz ... nanny state.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

My definition of wealthy, is not having to work.

Paycheck to paycheck is poor.

Agreed, but my daughter has not spoken to me since I pointed that out to her.

Typical Australian attitude, I think.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
25 minutes ago, madmen said:

Aldi shook up the super market world. For far two long the big two dominated.

The other thing is Medicare. When you take into account the woeful exchange rate it's no wonder hardly anyone here has insurance.

Regarding dining out well I don't know anyone in oz eating in resteraunts all the time like they do here. I live lower Sukhumvit and surrounded by resteraunts but prefer to cook at home. Thai food here is cheap but it's crap 80 % boiled rice, low grade slivers of meat with half a cup of sugar and msg yuck..

Sent from my star using Tapatalk

My wife and I do not eat out , I cook from home , we tried eating out and the food was crap. The food at some restaurants are just frozen crap and a sauce put on .My dinner last night was homed cooked and very nice . And cheaper than going to a restaurant .

20190605_184155.jpg

Last time I was in WA, I accompanied my daughter to a skin clinic to check moles for cancer; I was almost hospitalised for shock when informed it was $100 for the check and $250 to have them treated.

Now, if you have an image in mind of a Thai clinic, forget it - this place was in a swank new building, cctv everywhere, a few nice BMWs and Mercs parked in the doctors only parking. Inside was like an art gallery and I don't mean paintings of warts...

For a country with such harsh summers, it should be free to check - I am almost certain it was in the mid 90's...