Ripped off (again!)

OzMan

I was surprised and happy when go-go waitstaff started holding up the money given them so no misunderstanding. I only go there when friends visit, and want the experience, of course.

On a similar note, I always expect my Thai friend to negotiate a price for me but she just pays the asked for sum.

2 hours ago, toast1 said:

Like others here, I have only been short changed once in 30 years. 

In fact, many Thais have given me money back, when I've paid too much.

Maybe it is the way you treat Thais, I am very polite and always respectful. Goes a long way in the Kingdom.

Me too.

Some are consistently victims of thefts and scams.  I believe they need to take a better look at themselves.

Demeanor, attention, booze, physical appearance.  Whatever, I find it curious especially like one poster in Pattaya who claimed he had been ripped off at every 7-11 in the city.  Wow, ok gosh sounds like a personal problem.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

My comment very obviously referred to the banking example given by the poster that I replied to, not the OP.

"...in this case the person didnt admit it and OP lost 500 baht".

Allegedly, possibly.

So you referred to a reaction by another poster while quoting me while i was obviously referring to the opening post.

Thats how things get confusing.

19 hours ago, toast1 said:

Maybe it is the way you treat Thais, I am very polite and always respectful. Goes a long way in the Kingdom.

Same here.  In 24 years short changed once in a petrol station.

Yes, I have found Thais very sensitive to the way they are treated. Disrespect and rudeness are often met with an immediate reaction, perhaps dishonesty.

I can't remember the number of times a Thai has given me back money when I've over-paid.

Several times I've forgotten amounts of money, in a hotel, only to have staff return the lot to me.

Yet people here claim 7/11 is full of thieves and scoundrels.

Not the ones I go into.

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

When they ask to see the passport perhaps we should ask to see their ID card.

Yeah!!  That would show that 15k per month BTS ticket booth server who is following government orders how things really are, yeah!!!  Stick it to them!!  Go you!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

"Volunteer rescue teams and local villagers looted the wreckage".... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004

You've posted a link to an air crash that happened 28 years ago.  You do realise that don't you?  And you do realise how ridiculous that is?

Totally relevant to someone allegedly getting short changed in a 7-Eleven, brilliant work, thanks.

9 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

You've posted a link to an air crash that happened 28 years ago.  You do realise that don't you?  And you do realise how ridiculous that is?

Totally relevant to someone allegedly getting short changed in a 7-Eleven, brilliant work, thanks.

Struck a nerve did it? 

The only time I had such a problem in Thailand was at an indian owned restaurant. The guy short changed me 15 baht, I told him but he did not seems to understand a thing (as if numbers were some kind of magic) and was just fumbling around with 2's and 1's. I originally planned to tip 20 baht but ended up leaving nothing.

According to all the posts here I am very lucky ?

34 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not to mention that it seems as if foreigners are never wrong (except that brave guy who told us that he thought he was cheated but after checking the video it showed he made a mistake i still applaud this guy for saying so).

Some people see ripoffs and cheating in everything and mistakes are always intentional and all Thais are out to get them. Others just live their live and don't seem to be affected that much.

Yes.

Too many paranoid people here.

I always love the: Thais all about the money. Yet they usually have very little and are on here talking about the money.

Don't be naive folks.  You, your family and your country are all about the money.  It is the God of our times..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 7:28 PM, bkk6060 said:

Me too.

Some are consistently victims of thefts and scams.  I believe they need to take a better look at themselves.

Demeanor, attention, booze, physical appearance.  Whatever, I find it curious especially like one poster in Pattaya who claimed he had been ripped off at every 7-11 in the city.  Wow, ok gosh sounds like a personal problem.

Over 20 times I’ve had taxis  stop meter and charge diff Prices. One time I got so pissed i opened door left and picked a different taxi. But... I’ve had people also return me money when I overpaid (mostly outside tourist zones). 

Countless times by taxi and other than that just the weekly <deleted>-ups to count on 2 hands I experience indirectly
with peanut brain employees my wife's shop needs to deal with. The last was about a freight forwarder who kept changing the prices when a order was already there, even the price was discussed and screenshots were sent to proof it, it still took days to resolve. Same for missing payments that were false.

Seems it really depends what life you live and how much you have to deal with various kinds of people because my wife seems to be increasingly annoyed by these situations too, she never experienced that when living a humble life in job situation and not consuming that much (or having to deal with businesses and whatever).

Sure anyone experiences it sometimes, or sees things happen, but not at the frequency we experience while in business.
Scamming and white lies everywhere, I am used to it and don't care longer, as long it doesn't disturb my private life.

I just calculate 1000 baht monthly in my budget for the remaining shit dealings with (traffic) police.
Not sure how i would feel or react / behave if earning local average wages tho, those Thais really have a long breath.

Edited by tabarin

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, FarangULong said:

You guys (and the others, if there were any on the next pages) must be so proud of yourselves. I am no longer in BKK (but I plan on returning), but I had to register and comment upon reading this stuff. I was cheated myself out of 5000 baht by a "professional". I originally felt cheated when I first saw her in proper lighting, but that's beside the point. She tried to run two more scams on me after that, both of which failed (incl. accusing me of handing her a 100 note instead of a 1000, lots of screams and threats to call the cops and her "boss" etc), until she finally got me... long story short, a shitty experience, especially as Hotel security was totally inept, basically let her "boss" drive off with my money while stopping me from further stopping him to leave until I finally could get some authorities or someone there....

Few days later I received too much change (few hundred baht) at the 711. When I noticed I immediately told the cashier, as much as I would have liked to get some "payback". But the poor girl at the cash register wasn't the one who wronged me.

Also I nearly had my license plate fall off, due to some idiots rear ending me while boxing me in at MBK motorcycle parking, with one screw already missing. After 9 pm I rode from one adress to another, using google maps "bike repair shops" etc along with "open now", with either there not being a garage, it not being open, etc. I finally found a car service place, that had just closed. The owner didn't hesitate to help me, sending the boy back inside to get tools, screws, etc. and fixing my stuff. He refused repeatedly to let me give him any money, even though I was imposing on his spare time, with his wife waiting in the car, etc. He wouldn't even let me give it to the boy. We shook hands and parted ways.

So not all Thais are like these scamming, thieving <deleted!>. And you guys are far worse, because while YOU can afford to lose a few hundred baht, a teller or cashier can't. Especially 200 US Dollars, which is most likely a quarter of their net salary, if not more.

Excellent post, with hard facts. A very rare post with a balanced view.

Some tend to stoop very low and brag about it shamelessly.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:10 PM, Benroon said:

I must live the same life - 3 trillion visits to 7-11 and never knowingly been ripped off. Infact they seem to count it for about 5 minutes to make sure its correct.

I think its a modern day phenomenon that people who hate Thailand seem to get ripped off more - how weird is that - it's almost like they're making it up !

Well... you've said it all in the last sentence!

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:57 PM, toast1 said:

Politeness and respect for others goes a long way anywhere on this planet! It's a handful of humans that realize this basic fact.

(never been to other planets, hence cannot include them)

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, ColeBOzbourne said:

It all evens out in the end. I gave a girl at the pharmacy 1,000 baht for a 200 baht item, but she couldn't tear her eyes off her phone long enough to pay attention. Deep in her 'facebook-trance', she returned my original 1,000 baht bill plus gave me 800 baht change. The marvels of modern technology!

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, moontang said:

I let a first interstate teller give me back an extra 200usd one time.. yep, kind of evened the score. 

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, Davo369 said:

Similar thing happened to me in 7/11 ????. But with a 500 baht. She gave me back 850 

I am not a millionaire, billionaire or a trillionaire. But I would feel less than a sewer rat to rob a centime from anyone - yes, it is a disgusting deed under any circumstance and cannot be justified.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:58 PM, Muhendis said:

300 Baht for two ice creams...............?

That alone is a rip off. They're 15 Baht each in my village.

Maybe, one should carry their own ice-creams to a movie theater to save some money or been ripped off?

I was recently scammed like this and I knew it was going down. Late hours they thought I was drunk. When I gave the waitress the 1000 baht note, I could see in her eyes she was going to try something, then she pretended to show it to another waitress who clearly didn't look at it and said something unintelligible. I knew I was hosed. So when she came back with change for a 500 baht note, I complained and she asked the other waitress who said I don't know in Thai but ended up backing the other waitress. She felt bad though I could tell. Its just a matter of time before Karma catches up to that thief.  

Edited by FatVern

On 6/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, robblok said:

Some people see ripoffs and cheating in everything and mistakes are always intentional and all Thais are out to get them. Others just live their live and don't seem to be affected that much.

Dunno if all the short-changing is intentional but I always wait with my hand out until the correct money is placed into it. Invariably they do, without me mentioning the nature or amount of the error.

Which leads me to certain conclusions.

I do the same with too much change being given, keep my hand held out, they think about it then correct the mistake. So I may be wrong about the short-changing.

Edited by BritManToo

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Dunno if all the short-changing is intentional but I always wait with my hand out until the correct money is placed into it. Invariably they do, without me mentioning the nature or amount of the error.

Which leads me to certain conclusions.

I do the same with too much change being given, keep my hand held out, they think about it then correct the mistake. So I may be wrong about the short-changing.

I am sure mistakes are made, i have had them give me too much money too. I just give it back then. So mistakes are made that is for sure, and not all mistakes are a rip off only if its intentional. That is of course hard to prove. But in the 711 i frequent mostly they always say how much money i give before giving me change back. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

For every 1 mistake in my favour, they make 20 mistakes in their favour.

A statistical anomaly if it's unintentional.

Must live in an honest part of Thailand, for me the numbers are about equal and it happens rarely. To make thing easily i often give 1002 bat if the price of an item is 102 baht and stuff like that. 

Could be that i look so fearsome that nobody wants to try it on me ????????  But in general i frequent only a select amount of shops so many know me by face and know I will be back.