New documentary from DW mainly focusing on Phuket

steelepulse

Maybe this will get the attention of the autorities........maybe.  

Shows the overcrowding, corals being abused, raw sewage running directly into the ocean etc.  Even the Patong mayor says things are at the limit infrastructure wise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched the intro so far. Don't think the Thai authorities will like what they see but it's the Thai way to come up with a denial and sue and/or ban DW for damaging Thailand's image.

I'll watch the rest this evening.

P.S. I was expecting it to be in German!

36 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Just watched the intro so far. Don't think the Thai authorities will like what they see but it's the Thai way to come up with a denial and sue and/or ban DW for damaging Thailand's image.

I'll watch the rest this evening.

P.S. I was expecting it to be in German!

its says later the tourist police accompanied them only allowing them to film the good side of thailand, they had to film covertly to see the other side.

sounds like north korea

some other notable sections:

the government in bangkok wants to increase tourism to 50M/year

big companies make the bulk of the money

locals work for minimum wage trying to survive

i'm lucky i got to see most of the islands before mass tourism arrived but even 6 years ago, the last time i was in the south, i saw many of the things documented in this film including national park beach bays full of floating trash, floating islands of trash offshore and the relentless outflows of waste water into the sea.

we finally left samui after 8 years living there when we flew onto the island one year and noticed a brown halo around the whole island. "thats what you swim in" my wife said. we left soon afterwards.

29 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I took up diving in 1985.

A small group of us would go to the Similans on a yacht. We would camp on the beach of island No. 4 and be the only people there. We would spend four days there without seeing any other divers at the site.

There were only three dive companies on the whole island; Santana diving, Submarine Divers and Holiday diving.

The scene underwater was something out of a David Attenborough documentary.

I stopped diving in 1993, the Similans were already getting busy and coral destruction by divers was already visible.

Haven't been back since because I want to keep the memories I have. Same applies to Phi Phi which was also stunningly beautiful, both above and below the water-line.

Poseidon Diving was around as well, and still around.

Edited by stevenl