Is Airbnb taking over the Thai hotel industry?

webfact

18 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

air bnb is driving down the values of people condo's by illegally renting rooms like a short time hotel with all it's associated security issues...

I think you meant to blame THAI OWNERS FOR THIER ILLEGAL use of Air BnB 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

and airbnb and others are facilitating it by pandering to the needs of the cheap ass tourist who won't pay for a hotel, similar to being the 'getaway driver' of a crime for they know it's illegal here but still do it for the $

Much prefer to find a place we can rent with it's own kitchen and dining area where we do our thing re' food etc. Just don't like the meal times etc as set by hotels.

Self catering and more of a sense of freedom than your usual hotel. airb&b we've never actually used the service but I can see the appeal of it. We sometimes use hotels but will rent a suite with kitchen etc, wouldn't consider a place in a huge condo block/complex.

The difficult part is, as I see it, finding out if the place you've booked is illegal and in Thailand that could mean it gets raided/shut down halfway through your stay. What happens in that case??? Beer on the pvement outside 7/11 for a night??????????????????????

18 hours ago, yokat said:

While driving up the prices because of the potentially higher return than regular tenants.

Not true if you are only renting one or two units.  You need multiple units run like an illegal hotel to make any real money doing illegal short-term rentals.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Your post is accurate and very valid.

Just one problem.

Airbnb does not care about owners or neighbours. Their customer is the renter. They are the only ones giving Airbnb an income. They will glibly ignore complaints, requests for compensation etc etc just to protect the renter.

Only in extreme circumstances do Airbnb support the owner. (About 1 in 10 cases in my experience.)

So if that is the case AirBnB must do more to ensure that it is a more socially responsible service provider. Individual who benefit from their service (like myself and the person whom I have rented from several times) should not do so at the expense of others (condo owners) if they have a valid complaint.  I would have hoped that AirBnB would be more proactive in policing the facilitation service it provides. 

28 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Much prefer to find a place we can rent with it's own kitchen and dining area where we do our thing re' food etc. Just don't like the meal times etc as set by hotels.

Self catering and more of a sense of freedom than your usual hotel. airb&b we've never actually used the service but I can see the appeal of it. We sometimes use hotels but will rent a suite with kitchen etc, wouldn't consider a place in a huge condo block/complex.

The difficult part is, as I see it, finding out if the place you've booked is illegal and in Thailand that could mean it gets raided/shut down halfway through your stay. What happens in that case??? Beer on the pvement outside 7/11 for a night??????????????????????

Airbnb would find similar accommodation should that happen

6 minutes ago, newnative said:

The management has put in place the requirement of photo IDs to use the pool and gym. 

I know of another condo building where the management has decided to turn the pool into its own "profit centre"; there are placards in the street proclaiming that it is available for paid access

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Is is the owners who set the cancellation not Airbnb let's say you have a villa and you have a booking then your calendars are blocked and they want to cancel at last minute you would be very lucky to get a last minute booking that's why people set to strict as for booking.com their cancellation rate is unbelievable but the host can also set to strict 30 day before arrival 

Also on booking you can set to None Refundable 

You are right, but regardless of who sets the cancellation rules my point is that hotel bookings are usually much more flexible.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

I’ve used them in Paris and Penang a few times, well worth it because you can get a whole apartment for less than a low end shabby hotel room, but in Thailand the hotels are plentiful and cheap enough and the service usually excellent as to render AirBnB unnecessary for me in Thailand.

And that is precisely the point of why Thai hotels and I should imagine Vietnamese and Cambodian hotels will be unaffected!

It is because the hotels in these countries are one of the things where the customer really still gets value for money as opposed to Europe.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

If airbnb cannot guarantee that your rental has a license for daily rentals then it is co conspiring in illegal rentals. Though the wheels of justice turn slowly here sometimes I believe that more raids are in the wind. Buyer beware..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

If airbnb cannot guarantee that your rental has a license for daily rentals then it is co conspiring in illegal rentals. Though the wheels of justice turn slowly here sometimes I believe that more raids are in the wind. Buyer beware..

I think so. Big name hotels here have big names behind them.  Nuff said.

17 hours ago, DLock said:

Airbnb is here to stay, so we better get used to it.

They are far more agile and smarter than the Thai Government pretends to be.

So, whatever laws they implement will be useless to stop Airbnb.

The only line of defense is the condo and juristic people - if they make a stand then it can be stopped in a development (like it is in mine), but if they see a "benefit" to Airbnb happening...it's a very hard battle that police and immigration really don't want to deal with...

They love dealing with the 'illegals' in Hua Hin, they have 160 properties under investigation presently and are readily accepting the evidence when offered. 

Based on what I see in Pattaya only, I doubt the veracity of the article. My condo complex has many Chinese, mostly young but some older small groups as well. They all seem to be quiet and respectful of other residents. They seem to be growing in numbers too, and in other similar properties accross the city.

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

And that is precisely the point of why Thai hotels and I should imagine Vietnamese and Cambodian hotels will be unaffected!

It is because the hotels in these countries are one of the things where the customer really still gets value for money as opposed to Europe.

The Chinese, Koreans and Indians are from Asia. Comparing hotels here to hotels in Europe is of no relevence to them.

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I think so. Big name hotels here have big names behind them.  Nuff said.

I agree. In Hua Hin they are investigating over 160 properties for licence issues. E mails are going out to all  the major hotels here informing them of condo owners cutting the throats of their businesses. It is very difficult to obtain a hotel licence so why should they be allowed to come here without one, take away business and then evade taxes? They are not happy and as you say some big names are attached.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, champers said:

The Chinese, Koreans and Indians are from Asia. Comparing hotels here to hotels in Europe is of no relevence to them.

No, maybe not,

But it is very relevant to me and the hundreds of thousands of Western tourists that visit Thailand that face very expensive costs for hotels in Europe. They make South East Asian hotels extremely good value for money.

Edited by Scouse123

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

No, maybe not,

But it is very relevant to me and the hundreds of thousands of Western tourists that visit Thailand that face very expensive costs for hotels in Europe. They make South East Asian hotels extremely good value for money.

There's just as many Asian tourists go the reverse journey and visit Europe.

If they have a bad experience in a chain hotel, word will spread and they'll look to book an apartment instead. I can vouch for how popular the removal of kettles was from hotel rooms just for one example.

So your point is valid.

I live in the outskirts of Chiang Mai, far from any locations of interest to tourists (30~40 minute drive into town). Yet, every single house in my moobaan which has come up for sale or rent in the last 2 years has been snatched up by Chinese, who immediately turn the house into a Airbnb (or Chinese equivalent), plus even a few Thai homeowners are renting Airbnb rooms as well. We now see a number of silver vans coming and going and blocking the road every day, plus we regularly get groups of Chinese walking around the moobaan, talking loudly and peering over our fence and picking flowers off our trees. It's annoying as hell, but I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to deal with this in the close confines of a condo.

The average monthly rent for a home in my moobaan is about 70000, I'm really curious how much profit can be made (if any) by going with Airbnb vs. long term rentals.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:04 PM, lemonjelly said:

I’ve used them in Paris and Penang a few times, well worth it because you can get a whole apartment for less than a low end shabby hotel room, but in Thailand the hotels are plentiful and cheap enough and the service usually excellent as to render AirBnB unnecessary for me in Thailand.

Looked AirBnB last couple of trips to Paris - hotels were not only cheaper, but a lot more convenient. 

1 hour ago, pgs said:

Looked AirBnB last couple of trips to Paris - hotels were not only cheaper, but a lot more convenient. 

For me (+wife n kid) for 3,000 baht per night we had a whole apartment complete with coffee machine, washing machine/dryer, hi-speed WiFi, supermarkets over the road and only a 10 minute metro ride from The louvre 

• Like 1