Taxi driver: "I didn't mean to attack two Korean tourists - they wanted the meter on"

rooster59

on the police photo I can see something that looks like an iron bar?

so this was armed robbery!

can they pleasy throw the book at that low life?

- 2 counts of armed robbery

- 2 counts of assault with injuries

- fraud

- selling stolen goods

what did I forget?

he should go count the moskitoes in prison for at least 10 years.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am so sorry. I am possessed by an evil spirit named Poolsawat. Sometimes Pooly gets a hold of my very small mind, and makes me do terrible things. I barely recall a thing. 

Beating up two women with an iron club? Are you kidding me? He deserves to be put to death. He does not deserve the oxygen he breathes. No doubt, his mother (who is partially responsible for her son's crimes) told him once too often how special he was. 

What is the lesson here? Twofold. One. Always discuss the meter before getting into the taxi. Two. If being attacked by a crazed taxi driver, if you have a chance to gouge out his eyes, or lodge a pen into his neck, go for it!! Society will be the better for it. 

That might explain some of your posts. 

I sincerely hope you come to term with your possession. 

I have no experience with this phenomenon apart from watching the Exorcist in 1973.

May your God with you in this troubling time.

1 hour ago, JMSIII said:

What a POS!  Again....Just wonder if the cops actually did real police work.  I always laugh to myself when they make their comments about us western guys guys, knowing that these scrawny weak excuses for a man could never make it in our world.

Continued embarrassment for Thai's and Thailand!  Could you imagine the effect on these people, if all tourist stopped coming for just one year.  Just think how fast it would actually become the land of smiles again...

Be careful what you say buddy.  On the next 50 to 100 Years these scrawny weak excuses of a man will own the world. And you will be kissing their ass. 

12 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Is this not the reason why the meter is there in the first place?

Exactly! And there should be a cop available to give an on the spot fine for every meter that "not work"  - sorry, change that - a cop available to give a ticket for a fine to be paid immediately at the nearest police station - sorry, change that, a ticket to be paid for at the time of the offence, and after the meter has been "fixed" then 50% of the cost of the ticket to be refunded -  sorry, change that ..........etc etc.

If I flag a taxi and he winds down the window to ask where I want to go I don’t tell him but wave him on. Guaranteed he’ll whine about traffic or try to give me an inflated price. If I’m already in the car and he then gives me a price instead of turning on the meter I just get out. If he relents and says he’ll use the meter I get out anyway.

14 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Wait for it! A taxi driver has been praised for returning 2 million baht left in his taxi by a Chinese tourist. I love a balanced country!

Better yet "taxi driver takes iron bar for tourists". 

If I flag a taxi and he winds down the window to ask where I want to go I don’t tell him but wave him on. Guaranteed he’ll whine about traffic or try to give me an inflated price. If I’m already in the car and he then gives me a price instead of turning on the meter I just get out. If he relents and says he’ll use the meter I get out anyway.
You're better off walking, seems like less hassle
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, shady86 said:
15 hours ago, scorecard said:
So what punishment did the taxi driver get?

Wai and 500B fine. Thats the standard punishment for them.

Why write nonsense like this? He most certainly faces jail .... without parol for the first years

10 hours ago, buick said:

i've been in bangkok for 10 years (8 months a year) and i rarely get a taxi that uses the meter.  i don't even bother to try for it, if they turn it on great otherwise i just tell them how much i'll pay (which is usually double the meter rate).  it just isn't worth negotiating for the meter or getting out of the taxi and trying to get another one (not to mention getting beat up).  i'm used it to now.  i've found some drivers get upset when you tell them which way to go in order to get to your destination.  i'm sitting in back looking at traffic conditions on google maps so have a pretty good idea.  but advising some drivers of that info is somehow offense to them.

places where i almost always get the meter - DMK and BKK airports.  the taxi queue at CW immigration if i'm going to mochit BTS. 

I used Taxi about ten times. It always had a running meter. Perhaps you look filthy rich or in other ways like "he will pay much money"?

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Yesterday the victims presented flowers to the police in appreciation of the quick arrest. They said their wounds were now healing and they felt much better - especially knowing their assailant was in custody.

Ok.. This leave me a lot of speculation and suspicion. Are the victims told to buy flowers as an offering to their quick arrest? It seems like in Thailand, buying flowers to thank the officer is the norm, even for foreign tourists. I thought doing arrest is actually what a police officer should do, why need the extra touch ( are they being told to do it and then proudly exclaimed to the world about it?)

Just one more example of Thainess on display.

He saw two vulnerable foreign girls and had every intention of doing what he did. Nothing to do with the meter...that was just a convenient excuse...which only in Thailand has any merit. Think up any excuse, and one will be excused.

5 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

It’s my lazy “probably”

I have noticed it before.

I like it.

You'll soon be up there with with Tolkien (Elvish) Orwell (Newspeak) and Burgess (Nadsat).

12 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

As far as I know, it is not the approximate fare.  It is the exact fare.  I have used Grab at least a hundred time and the fare was always as stated on the app.

This is correct in my experience.

However, Grab does state that there may be road tolls/airport entrance and exit fees which are not included.

This is the weakest part of Grab imo - they have the ability to know what tolls will be involved if any and they should be included in the Grab quoted fare.

I've never had to pay any of those.

In Kuala Lumpur I used a Grab driver who was hustling at the airport as an individual and quoted me a price including all which was acceptable.

He did tell me that if I used Grab there would be tolls in addition to the Grab price.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Hopefully the South Korean press will cover this story in a big way.

That seems to be the only way to (possibly) get results.

Grow up, you really think a rogue idiot will define all of thailand ? 

18 hours ago, SammyT said:

Settle down internet tough guy.

However, stories like this are why people favored Uber so much, yet the taxi Mafia wouldn't have it. Until they start policing their own, we'll keep seeing stories like this 

Settle down clueless person who's obviously not in and has no real experience in Thailand. There is no Uber in Thailand it was bought by Grabtaxi ages ago.

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

How do people convicted of theft from passengers manage to keep their taxi licence, so as to be able to do it again? Unbelievably poor excuse that he was angry because they wanted the meter on. Everyone wants the meter on. Not doing so is just further proof of his total dishonesty, and the reason why if and when he gets out of prison, that he is never allowed to drive a public vehicle again.

Licence what licence?

He got caught not using a meter,they should have refused the ride and not got in.if I take a taxi  he says no meter I say move on and wait for one who uses the meter.the only way to go in Thailand,or use grab which many use now and they are losing the battle over that too

Archived