German Embassy's Tampering of Original Thai Documents in Legalization Process

Hi, I'm seeking advice as to whether the following is a normal and acceptable situation. I recently had some Thai documents legalized at the German Embassy of Bangkok for marriage purposes; this thread in particular relates to a Thai birth certificate and Certificate of No Impediment (obtained by my local amphur). 

I was asked to make photocopies of the original documents during submission, and they retained both original copies and the photocopies. 

Upon collection of the legalized documents, I received only the original sheets and no photocopies. My original birth certificate had their legalization paper sellotaped onto the back of my the original document, while their stamp overlapped to be placed directly onto the paper. The original Certificate of No Impediment had their entire stamp directly on the piece of paper. 

I believe my original birth certificate is now invalid for any further purposes as the German Embassy has placed their ink onto the backside (which already included official and approved amendments/spelling mistakes that were a massive hassle to get done. I've always been asked to submit a copy of both sides for legal purposes). I'm quite surprised as I expected their 'legalization' to be on a photocopy which they asked for. Is this a normal occurrence, and has anyone had a similar experience? Can one easily have their birth certificate replaced by their local district office? 

Many thanks in advance. 

The document bearing the original signature of the Thai official is legalised. They wouldn't have legalised photocopies even if you had asked. If a Thai official certifies that a document is a true copy of a birth certificate, etc,, then that copy can be legalised by certifying that official's signature. But legalisation itself always relates to a document bearing the original signature of an official.

16 hours ago, taxout said:

The document bearing the original signature of the Thai official is legalised. They wouldn't have legalised photocopies even if you had asked. If a Thai official certifies that a document is a true copy of a birth certificate, etc,, then that copy can be legalised by certifying that official's signature. But legalisation itself always relates to a document bearing the original signature of an official.

Ah I forgot to mention; I did go and obtain a certified copy of my birth certificate by a Thai official just an hour prior to submitting these; so yes, they did have a recently certified copy which was never returned to me. A mistake on their part perhaps? 

I'd understand if they were to place a peelable sticker on the original, but it was actually stamped on, and an additional piece of paper stuck with sellotape that would definitely cause damage if peeled off. With all the written amendments already on the backside, there is no more room for anything else anywhere on the certificate. 

Edited by mnop

Standard procedure, the German Embassy has been doing it this way since at least 2006 (probably much longer than that, but that was the first time I personally saw Thai documents legalized by them). I'd imagine that the Thai authorities would have made their objections known to the German Embassy by now, if they had any.

With all respect to you, i think when you googeld first you will see that the legalization is done correctly by the officer.

All legalized document around the world are having one or more stamps on it.

You documents are valid even back home.

Copies are legalozed when the copy is certified by the organisation who is resoncible for the orgini al document.

Lamination sheet is not a document just a container that has inside a document. This document can be removed.

Why do you want to have legalise a container? That has no value at all.

Instead of complaining you have to be greathfull and happy that the officers saved you money for a legalisation if a container that has totalky no use or value.

Hope this helps you out why a kaminated document nit can be used at all and has no value.

If you wanted the certified copy legalised, you should have submitted the certified copy and only the certified copy to the embassy.

And yes, legalisation involves putting stamps on the original documents that can't be removed or altered. That's the procedure every consulate/embassy every country.

The problem here is that you didn't understand beforehand just what legalisation involves.