UK not paying Brexit bill would be debt default, French source says

webfact

5 minutes ago, jany123 said:

Never a truer statement made. “Not forgotten by those who remember”. Thanks

unfortunately fewer and fewer people remember, whilst many actors attempt to alter history to suit their own agenda. 

For example, someone posted earlier that Britain stood alone against Germany during the Battle of Britain. Another example might be in the rise in the number of holocaust deniers as well as a normalization (or seeming acceptance) of white nationalism.

I should have said those who can be bothered to remember! You sound like the Commonwealth effort and sacrifice has been completely ignored! During the Battle of Britain, Britain was the only European nation at war (and unoccupied) to stand against Germany. The fact that we were assisted by freedom fighters and volunteers from other friendly countries, along with the war materiel sent from the US, is well known and acknowledged. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I have growing expectation it will never be paid, but not for the reasons Johnson is lying about.

I think you are hoping at... revoke A50 ….I think not , I think you go have a Brexit decade in politics …. but only in The U.K. ,not anymore our E.U. concern

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I should have said those who can be bothered to remember! You sound like the Commonwealth effort and sacrifice has been completely ignored! During the Battle of Britain, Britain was the only European nation at war (and unoccupied) to stand against Germany. The fact that we were assisted by freedom fighters and volunteers from other friendly countries, along with the war materiel sent from the US, is well known and acknowledged. 

Substantially correct.

Which is precisely why this Brexit jingoistic 'Stood alone' has been rightly challenged in this thread. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Substantially correct.

Which is precisely why this Brexit jingoistic 'Stood alone' has been rightly challenged in this thread. 

Jingoistic now? The fact is Europe (and the EU itself) has never shown enough gratitude. If Britain had fallen then it would have been far more difficult for the US and Russia to assist. The war would have gone on for bloody ages.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Jingoistic now? The fact is Europe (and the EU itself) has never shown enough gratitude. If Britain had fallen then it would have been far more difficult for the US and Russia to assist. The war would have gone on for bloody ages.

If the Russian s gave them hellfire and kept them bizzy ,as hell  he (H.)would had visiting Westminster .

Credit to them Communists anyway 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Tell that to all the expats here remitting their living experience money from the UK.

What is it ฿39/£ and only going in one direction.

I must say: you British are very good in that. In my young years 1 pound was worth Hfl 10,64 ( / 2,2 = € 4,84) In German markt even DM 11,82 ( /2 = € 5,91). Mid 2015 € 1,43 and now € 1,12. So, going well direction one once...

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

We have already paid half a TRILLION Pounds into this dictatorship NO MORE.

Time you British learn to count and to read…  This "divorse" amount is nothing less then the commitments, British ( prime) ministers signed for in the past. Also your contribution to work done for all, like RASFF, EFSA, EMA, CE. Forgotten how the economic situation in the UK was, beginning 70's ?

net contribution countries EU.png

Contribution_over_time_v2 (1).png

Edited by puipuitom

7 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Well now..before a penny is paid..the accounts etc will have to be EXAMINED CAREFULLY by Brexiteers..remember..a certain remaining civil servant..namely ollie robbins was heavily involved in all sorts throughout the negociating period!!

You speak as if negotiations with EU will restart from zero because UK will have a new PM... They will not!

Most things (if nor all) concerning the "divorce" have already be negotiated and agreed by UK & EU; they will not be negotiated again.

What may be negotiated is the Irelands' problem - the "backstop" - if ever someone propose a better solution... that has still to be found ????

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Well now..before a penny is paid..the accounts etc will have to be EXAMINED CAREFULLY by Brexiteers..remember..a certain remaining civil servant..namely ollie robbins was heavily involved in all sorts throughout the negociating period!!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Have you considered this is simply Boris learning from Trump, picking an emotive issue and promising a simplistic solution that he has absolutely no intention to go through with.

Boris is winding up the Tory party membership, with something they think they can understand as a means to get their support for the post of PM.

After and only after which we'll all learn what Boris has in mind. (Generally something very pro-Boris). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vogie said:

Michel Barnier has thrown down the gauntlet and stated that "we will never renegotiate the withdrawal agreement" This is aimed at any future PM.

Looks like we will walk away then and you go potless.

the leaders of governmet of ALL 27 member states, not the cheif negociator…  !

8 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

This so called divorce payment is a sham. Sadly we had a weak if not treacherous PM who was a remainer and coudn't help acting like a remainer. What about all the money the UK paid into the EU assets and buildings for over 40 plus years. You get divorced you are entitled to your share. It needs a strong brexiteer to tel them how it is.

it is a SHARE of the commitments British prime minsters signed for, like long year support for British farmers etc...  Time to read   https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-divorce-bill/   or  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/29/brexit-divorce-bill-how-much-is-it-and-what-is-it-for  

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Perhaps that’s because you haven’t digested what I wrote... for example, you laughed at this post below, which was the last part of a conversation wherein I stated that Britain et al, would have prevailed without US assistance.

2 hours ago, jany123 said:

Not so. I have no recollection whatsoever of being told this in school, oh so many years ago

Experts are still writing opinions on this topic (ie. Germany would have still been defeated without US assistance) till this day, largely driven by the return of isolationistic policies being championed by the current US presidency.

You then made this post about I don’t know what, as it was in response to my post suggesting that the US assistance would have been a different matter without that commonwealth countries supplied forward operating bases for US troop build ups (whilst commonwealth soldiers were bleeding)

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Wrong. The Commonwealth effort and sacrifice is not forgotten by those who remember!

I never once suggested that commonwealth country efforts where anything other than great, nor that commonwealth sacrifices were forgotten. I did say that another poster was marginalizing free French efforts, and that “Britain” did not stand alone during the Battle of Britain, as it did not.

My uncle flew (Lancaster’s) countless sorties over Germany and occupied territories. Well, perhaps they could be counted, but he never discussed this with us, although in his dotage he did tell my brothers German girlfriend that he bombed the bejesus out of Dresden (maybe why he didn’t talk of it)

that said, others should not marginalize European allies participation, nor attempt to suggest that any one ally was saved by a particular country. We all fought and sacrificed together, honorably, in support of our commitments, and suggesting that France should pay because we honored our commitment is pretty low.

perhaps I’m guilty of marginalizing the US participation, but then, that was in response to a poster calling the US the “real saviour” of WW2, which in my opinion, marginalizes the commonwealths sacrifices, which offends me

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

No problem. There is a "Failover Backup"! It always works.

("Hey, "smart" Germans, open your wallet!") ????

And smart French stop subsidising your food producers and dip in your own pockets not ours xx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

If Britain had fallen then it would have been far more difficult for the US and Russia to assist. The war would have gone on for bloody ages.

When I posted this, you laughed at the post. Sure, I used different words, as in I stated that this fact was often overlooked.

7 hours ago, Oxx said:

Hardly.  The FX markets don't like uncertainty.  Once the details of Brexit are finalised the value of the pound will rise - probably quite dramatically.

And as for the British economy, it will do much better in the medium to long term.  Britain is hampered within the EU by not being permitted to enter into trade deals with other countries.  The EU has been hopeless at arranging trade deals.  There is no EU deal in place with such major economies as America, China, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, India, Indonesia, Japan.  The British economy will be far better off once it's negotiated trade deals with these countries.

Time to read, mostly not the strongest point with Brexiteers) 

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/eu-australia-trade-agreement/

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/china/

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/india/

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/indonesia/

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/eu-japan-economic-partnership-agreement/

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/eu-new-zealand-trade-agreement/

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/russia/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_Trade_and_Investment_Partnership

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

Time you British learn to count and to read…  This "divorse" amount is nothing less then the commitments, British ( prime) ministers signed for in the past. Also your contribution to work done for all, like RASFF, EFSA, EMA, CE. Forgotten how the economic situation in the UK was, beginning 70's ?

net contribution countries EU.png

Contribution_over_time_v2 (1).png

Same old rubbish poster. UK net contribution is wrong. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, david555 said:

I think you even don't understand geological in the meaning where a country is situated, cheap way of denying a war fact ….

Belgium is, geographically, situated on top of the pictured half-blind trilobite. ????

• Like 1