Why does nobody want to live in France?

On 6/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, xylophone said:

A friend of mine from the UK bought a place near Poitiers (halfway between the Loire and Bordeaux) in a very poor condition although not as bad as the one in the picture and he spent some time doing it up, and it was very lovely when he finished it, in fact I stayed there for 10 days and found it quite delightful, if not too quiet.

All of the basics could be obtained from the small village shops nearby, apart from the fact that the local wine was made from the Gamay grape and it wasn't that good at all.

I have often thought I could move to the south of France in the Languedoc, but then again at 71 years of age I do need company and a little bit of excitement to keep the brain active, and all the red wine in the world won't compensate for that!

Cheesus, that place looks like its leaning to one side and about to fall down.

No wonder its cheap!

Had a friend who bought an old house in the Vendee.  Took years to renovate, and yes, some work had to be done by 'approved' professionals and they were expensive and often wouldn't turn up for months, screw your convenience. Cold in winter, and as my friend wasn't there then often burgled as nearest house a couple of hundred metres away. If you try to sell heavy taxes and very hard to find a buyer (bit like Thailand).

On 6/10/2019 at 5:02 PM, BritManToo said:

How about a farmhouse with attached barn and 1.5 Acres for 15,000 Euros?

france 3.jpg

what about Italy

http://mentalfloss.com/article/579621/italian-homes-selling-one-dollar

If you’ve long dreamed of living in Italy, now is the perfect time to take the plunge. While property prices across Europe continue to rise, the prices on many of Italy’s older homes are doing the opposite. This means you can buy houses and even a private island in Italy at bargain prices. In at least one area, the town will even pay families to move there.

According to CNN, the latest cheap real estate listings come from two Italian towns. Homes are selling for €1 (about $1.13 U.S.) in Zungoli, a rural village near Naples and the Amalfi Coast, and Mussomeli, a larger town in Sicily. The catch is that new homeowners must pay a security deposit and commit to fixing up their properties. On the bright side, many of the homes are already in decent shape.

Edited by kevvy
add

10 minutes ago, kevvy said:

Homes are selling for €1 (about $1.13 U.S.) in Zungoli, a rural village near Naples and the Amalfi Coast, and Mussomeli, a larger town in Sicily. The catch is that new homeowners must pay a security deposit and commit to fixing up their properties. On the bright side, many of the homes are already in decent shape.

As I already posted this is a fake story, the homes are for sale by sealed bid auction, you can't buy anything for E1.

And there are thousands of bids being made. I bothered to email the town offices and ask.

• Like 2

There's must be a reason these places cannot attract people, being near Naples would be a big factor. I work in Italy and love it but it's an affluent area which means it's also expensive to live. I don't think there's anywhere in western Europe I could retire on my UK pension unlike Thailand were me and my wife can have a good life on the same money.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BLACKJACK2 said:

There's must be a reason these places cannot attract people, being near Naples would be a big factor. I work in Italy and love it but it's an affluent area which means it's also expensive to live. I don't think there's anywhere in western Europe I could retire on my UK pension unlike Thailand were me and my wife can have a good life on the same money.

I could certainly retire to a 15kEuro farm in the middle of France on my UK state pension.

And probably grow enough food on the 1 and 1/2 acres to feed myself.

Would I want to is the question?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I could certainly retire to a 15kEuro farm in the middle of France on my UK state pension.

I grew my own potatoes, bell peppers and hot peppers, peas, tomatoes and even melons, I tried to grow a lemon tree but the cold winter killed it.

If you live in the countryside you will need a car as public transport can be in very short supply, no buses ever passed my house.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

If you live in the countryside you will need a car as public transport can be in very short supply, no buses ever passed my house.

Same when I lived in a village near Oxford, village near Dorking and a village in Cornwall.

The only places I lived with easy public transport was Brighton, Glasgow and London.

I'm OK cycling 40Km, but not in winter.

I wonder if they have internet in rural France?

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190402/france-failing-in-promise-to-roll-out-high-speed-internet-access-to-rural-areas

I've got used to it being everywhere I go in Asia.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

That is my plan to grow as much of our own food as possible before I retire.

The trouble with Serbia is that they are still a bunch of swastika kissers...so definately no way, no matter how horny their gals may be...

...as for France, ask any resident in the Côte d'Azur area or the other sea coast regions...or in the Neuilly area of Paris...for nothing will they agree to leave ...there is good fun out there...

Edited by observer90210

On 6/11/2019 at 2:09 PM, connda said:

If that is a 'ladyboy' I may have to put that on my bucket list of things I want to try at least once before I die.  <laughs>  But I don't see an Adam's apple, don't see Seinfeld's phobia - Man Hands.  Just looks like a smoking hot Euro-Blond.  

images.jpg.1a37d707b39a30f1150d254d350b96db.jpg

First things first.

Does it form up as a rectangle or a trapezoid?! If a rectangle, yes pics are deceiving, but she is looking rectangular ....  then proceed to adams apple, wrist, hands, ankles, feet etc.

There is an order to classification. :thumbsup:

Edited by LomSak27

42 minutes ago, madmen said:

Doubt it.

http://www.reformation.org/serbs.html

SERBS COST HITLER WW II

really ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/oct/21/serbia-cannot-condemn-racism

https://www.trtworld.com/europe/is-serbia-s-prime-minister-racist-27160

https://balkaninsight.com/2017/10/23/serbian-ww2-leader-s-loyalty-to-nazis-absolute-historian-10-23-2017/

(and we could bat and ball for ages so I'll Stop here. No hard feelings)

Edited by observer90210

I give you history and they never kissed swastika quite the opposite and you give me some lame ass internet page labelled " is the Pm racist" LOL

Thais are blatantly racist but you seem happy living here. isn't that a tad hypocritical? 

No hard feelings [emoji6]

Edit: Post in breach of forum Rules removed.

theoldgit

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

I give you history and they never kissed swastika quite the opposite and you give me some lame ass internet page labelled " is the Pm racist" LOL

Thais are blatantly racist but you seem happy living here. isn't that a tad hypocritical? 

No hard feelings [emoji6]

How can you say Thais are blatantly racist....To me that reads "All"..

If they were I would not have any Thai friends would I..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, madmen said:

Doubt it.

http://www.reformation.org/serbs.html

SERBS COST HITLER WW II

you call that history ?

heres some quotes from that garbage site

With the collapse of Nazi Germany, many of the Hitlerite war criminals escaped and fled to the United States. They managed to take over at the Pentagon and continued the war against the Orthodox church from their new hideout.

Belgrade in Yugoslavia was bombed again by the Roosevelt Reich in the Spring of 1999.

The war ended when the Serbs capitulated and the Pentagon occupied Yugoslavia and set up hugh military bases there as a precursor to another invasion of Russia.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soistalker said:

I stand correct. Been to Birmuslimingham lately?

Not go ,  not welcome , i am a whitey 

Edited by elliss

On 6/12/2019 at 12:36 PM, BritManToo said:

As I already posted this is a fake story, the homes are for sale by sealed bid auction, you can't buy anything for E1.

And there are thousands of bids being made. I bothered to email the town offices and ask.

Thanks. I saw that story a while back on a different website, but didn't know it was fake. 

Did you know you can buy a house in England for ONE POUND?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/feb/22/1-pound-houses-britains-cheapest-street-tv-review