Why does nobody want to live in France?

This ?

Cost of living in France is 52.28% higher than in Thailand   https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=France

there are plenty of projects available in east europe and cost of living is less than Thailand

eg first google search, new unfinished house on 2a Serbia..100sqm triple the size of a shoebox on the darkside for a fraction of the cost

https://www.propertyunder50k.com/property-details/i-am-selling-a-country-house-in-village-studena-serbia-13382

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, vogie said:

Nice country, nice people, I was made very welcome there. Pub prices are very expensive although the booze in the supermarkets are cheap. Very cold winters, no gas in the countryside so needed log fires. Cess pits are a must have.

Had my own walnut tree, apples and pears.

IMG_0445.JPG

FB_IMG_1518063522339.jpg

Why did you leave. Looks lovely

Niece bought a 135 acre estate in a lovely area had her own woods and streams, no neighbours with a fantastic house and had stabling for her horses. She stuck it less than 3 years before selling at a huge loss and moving to Portugal- winters were too cold!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

south france is stunningly beautiful, but the french caribbean islands is warmer, and i still get the same rights as in any other plot belonging to EU.

portugal should maybe be warm enough to live in year round until death, ditto for spain,

i think it might be a toss which one is better

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1

Hi

It looks like it needs a lot of work but as mentioned before if you are able to do most of the work yourself, could work out.

Looks to be large enough to perhaps restore and then have a couple of rooms for summer lets ?

Maybe enough rental income to provide a lievable basic income so that after buying and restoration you have zero costs.

How about a free/very cheap house in southern Italy/Sicily?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/17/italian-town-sambuca-sicily-dozens-homes-for-sale-one-euro

Could be OK for someone like yourself ( I have  no restoration skills nor do I need another property )

Various underpopulated southern Italy towns seem to be offering these type of deals.

Yes, of course one would need to do full research as there are probably catches in many offers.

3 minutes ago, seasia said:

Hi

It looks like it needs a lot of work but as mentioned before if you are able to do most of the work yourself, could work out.

Looks to be large enough to perhaps restore and then have a couple of rooms for summer lets ?

Maybe enough rental income to provide a lievable basic income so that after buying and restoration you have zero costs.

How about a free/very cheap house in southern Italy/Sicily?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/17/italian-town-sambuca-sicily-dozens-homes-for-sale-one-euro

Could be OK for someone like yourself ( I have  no restoration skills nor do I need another property )

Various underpopulated southern Italy towns seem to be offering these type of deals.

Yes, of course one would need to do full research as there are probably catches in many offers.

I believe on many of the trades involved with house restoration you would by law need to use a French artisan, they are not cheap and do require months of notice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Cheap restorations are a delusion, they will always cost you more than a new cottage once you're finished with it. And in many cases they never get finished.. I'd rather look for one of these wooden chalets kits, which are energy efficient.

Where did you live, I lived inbetween Poitiers and Limoges, a small hamlet called La Bussiere, near Saint Savin near Chauvigny. 

I think its safe to say that the French have no interest in restoring old houses, only the Brits.

• Like 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

That's a fake story, they were actually for sale by auction.

Hence why I stated in my post that there are probably catches.

Yes, heard about some/many decent seeming offers going to auction, sealed bids.

Whether that applies to all of them, I do not know.

Since this is a Visa oriented web site my contribution is that France is the only European country that used to issue you a residence Visa by investing US $10,000 in a French Bank

I wanted to retire in the Netherlands in 2006 but was informed by Dutch Immigration that there were no provisions for US Citizens retiring there.  The best you could do was a 90 day tourist visa but that would require staying out of the country for 90 days after it expired

A lawyer suggest the French route but I never followed through  because there was a question if a French residency visa would entitle a resident, versus a EU citizen, freedom of movement within the EU.  ie. French Resident but Dutch "long term visitor"

• Like 2

13 hours ago, vogie said:

I believe on many of the trades involved with house restoration you would by law need to use a French artisan, they are not cheap and do require months of notice.

Hard to see how they could do that as both the houses I pictured are already residences with electricity and water.

The farm in the last photo isn't in all that bad a condition 1/3 of the property has already been fixed (roof and inside).

france 4.jpg

france 5.jpg

• Like 1