Video: Farang thief at the checkout got 2,000 baht, Thai shopper tells Thaivisa

webfact

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What this guy did wasn't right, but it's a matter for the police to investigate, and the courts to decide. It shouldn't be tried in the court of public opinion like this, and the supermarket should be held accountable for how the security footage ended up on social media.

22 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

What this guy did wasn't right, but it's a matter for the police to investigate, and the courts to decide. It shouldn't be tried in the court of public opinion like this, and the supermarket should be held accountable for how the security footage ended up on social media.

Courts? You must be joking man.....

The video verdict has already been reached....

He will be taken to the police station and have to shell out her money and police money.....And if the old Git does not pay up straight away he will be rotting in prison for months and months waiting for his day in court... 

Interesting, yesterday the media was talking THB 20 (which I would agree to) - inflation explained?

Needless to say, that this behaviour is "not nice" but blowing it absolutely out of proportion in a country, where literally almost every alien got cheated in one or the other way ........ The TAT's figures refer to 30+ million tourists, there must be a million residents/retirees/employees from other countries living here and you make such a stink over such an incident? Without CCTV nothing ever would have surfaced.

I reiterate, the old geezer's behaviour is "unnice" and speaks for itself but get to realistic news reporting.

The difference might be, that there is no CCTV when they sign for three submarines or when Prawatch met his meanwhile dead friend who gave him all those watches ............

I also doubt, that the lady lost B 2'000 - but who am I .................

25 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

It shouldn't be tried in the court of public opinion like this

No disrespect meant but then why are you participating in this very entertaining thread?

2 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Interesting, yesterday the media was talking THB 20 (which I would agree to) - inflation explained?

Needless to say, that this behaviour is "not nice" but blowing it absolutely out of proportion in a country, where literally almost every alien got cheated in one or the other way ........ The TAT's figures refer to 30+ million tourists, there must be a million residents/retirees/employees from other countries living here and you make such a stink over such an incident? Without CCTV nothing ever would have surfaced.

I reiterate, the old geezer's behaviour is "unnice" and speaks for itself but get to realistic news reporting.

The difference might be, that there is no CCTV when they sign for three submarines or when Prawatch met his meanwhile dead friend who gave him all those watches ............

I also doubt, that the lady lost B 2'000 - but who am I .................

20 baht 2000 baht the money is what ever she says it is...The old geezer has zero credibility.... 

18 hours ago, mike787 said:

To Thais, his actions impact all of us.  Sad things are this desperate for him...

Are things that desperate or is the guy just another thief who would have done the same thing to you or me

18 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Having watched the clip (with 1 dropped banknote), Miss Jeab, must have lost one of those rare 2,000-baht banknotes... 

I thought the same so dropped 2 1000 baht notes and hey presto, they both fell and landed one on top of the other. At no time did they separate. So she might well be telling the truth.

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

I agree it's unlikely that it was 2000 but it is not impossible....

So how much will this cost him?

Well the Police are going to need their cut which will be at least 2-4 thousand baht...

And the lady will need to be paid 100% interest on her pain and suffering

So my guess this will cost him between 6-8 thousand baht....

Assuming he is not on short term vacation a lot more either buying a friend who can pull strings or buying a one way ticket and dispose of property at a financial loss.

Technically  it wasn't  in her procession when he picked  it up.

He didn't  lift it from  her pockets or bag

He should  have been honest but is it fully his fault that the lady didn't  look after  her belongings. She said she only  trusts herself if that's  the case then maybe she should  have trusted  herself to look afget her own belongings rather than assuming everyone is kind and shall be honest 

I personally would have handed  the money  back  but if it was my money  that i dropped  i personally  wouldn't  call it stealing. I would be pissed  off but at the same  time i am the one responsible for my own stuff

I don't  trust anyone which is even more reason  to take care of my belongings 

I would rather lose 2000 baht than my bank cards driver licence extra 

I have had incidents  where people have handed me my wallet

I split half of the money  with the  finder

Sometimes  all of it as happy  to  not have to cancel  cards and stuff

Sorry but irresponsible for the forang yes 

Theif he is not 

It matters not, whether 20Baht OR 2000 Baht, the simple fact remains he saw the money, who had dropped it and made a conscious decision if it was not spotted by the loser, then he would take it. At no time did he in the Video make ANY attempt to draw the losers attention to her loss or silliness. 

A Theft pure and simple, in my book throw him out of the country. 

There is NO EXCUSE he can offer in mitigation. 

Archived