My re entry permit was not moved from old passport to new

I went into Thai Immigration Bureau in Bangkok yesterday to move my retirement extension and entry stamps from old passport to new passport.  I just noticed my re Entry permit has not been moved.  Can I show old passport with re entry permit if I leave the country?  My extension expires August 19th but I wanted to maybe travel out once.    I really hate to go back and sit all day again but of course if needed I would have no choice.   Thanks for any advice     

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Where was your re-entry permit issued. If not done by Chaeng Wattana immigration they would not transfer it.

No need to show the re-entry permit in your old passport when leaving the country.

You will show the re-entry permit in you old passport on entry to the country and they will stamp you into the country in the new one.

it was issued at Chaeng Wattana  are you sure I can show old passport when entering the country?  Someone else posted I needed to go to Desk C a completely different que   

21 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You have to get your Re-entry permit transferred at Desk C (at Chaengwattana) after your Extension stamp has been transferred. It's two separate processes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ok I did not realize that.  Would it still be possible just to show old passport with re entry permit when I come back into Thailand?

25 minutes ago, genobkk said:

it was issued at Chaeng Wattana  are you sure I can show old passport when entering the country?  Someone else posted I needed to go to Desk C a completely different que   

No problem to show the re-entry permit in your old passport when you enter the country since it will still valid. Other have done it.

The different desk for the re-entry permit transfer is an oddity that only applies at CW.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem to show the re-entry permit in your old passport when you enter the country since it will still valid. Other have done it.

The different desk for the re-entry permit transfer is an oddity that only applies at CW.

Ok thank you, since it is up in mid August and I may only travel out once before that time I will just show old passport with re entry permit at airport on arrival .  Thanks 

9 hours ago, genobkk said:

I will just show old passport with re entry permit at airport on arriva

Not sure what the "just" refers to. You hand over both passports, with the old passport helpfully open to the page with the re-entry permit (and the re-entry permit number on the arrival card in the space for visa number). 

7 hours ago, wombat said:

save the hassle, splurge on a new one.

There is no hassle if he already has a valid re-entry permit. He just hands over both passports when returning to Thailand. Why throw away money for something totally unnecessary?

Edited by Suradit69
  • Haha 1

They accepted my re-entry permit in my old passport, whilst stamping my new passport recently. That is important - they must stamp the new passport- but I understand that is standard practice.

But you will eventually have to get the re-entry thing at immigration and for some reason this is much quicker than getting the visa itself. I have been told by the staff at immigration (they were quite frank about it) that a stack of retiring Army generals have been installed upstairs to counter stamp the visas that the staff downstairs efficiently process, thereby adding 3 hours to the process. What a lovely golden handshake to the old Army fellas, who get high salaries and do nothing that adds value. Leaving the Army in power will lead to a lot more of this bullshit, but its not my country. Stamping by the generals upstairs does not happen with the re-entry permit, so its much quicker. 

Related question: I got a new passport. Is it mandatory to have my soon-to-expire retirement extension transferred to my new passport? Or can I continue using two passports until I get a new extension, which would occur in August? I have entered once on the new passport. My IO is Chonburi.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

There is no hassle if he already has a valid re-entry permit. He just hands over both passports when returning to Thailand. Why throw away money for something totally unnecessary?
There is no charge for transferring a Re-entry permit to a new passport.

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

He was replying to this post suggesting he get a new re-entry permit.

20 hours ago, wombat said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stancatts said:

I have been told by the staff at immigration (they were quite frank about it) that a stack of retiring Army generals have been installed upstairs to counter stamp the visas that the staff downstairs efficiently process, thereby adding 3 hours to the process.

There has been a wait for several years now as approvals have had to be by commander, and if in meeting could take most of day.  My passport was returned within one hour yesterday so not much longer, if any, than previous year or two.  

On 6/13/2019 at 11:04 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Aside from time wasted and travel hassle for second visit to immigrations.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:01 AM, genobkk said:

I really  hate to go back and sit all day again but of course if needed I would have no choice.   Thanks for any advice     

And I was responding to a post suggesting that he BUY a new re-entry permit.

On 6/12/2019 at 2:16 PM, wombat said:

Edited by Suradit69