Should I bring this keyboard to Chiang Mai in person or have it imported?

scooter rider

Hi everyone, I'm from the UK and am thinking of expating to Chiang Mai.  My main hobby is making music.  I want to buy this keyboard:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/waldorf-quantum-8-voice-hybrid-polyphonic-synthesizer-quantum

It costs £3500.  I don't know whether I should buy it here in the UK and take it with me on the plane, or whether to simply order it when I get to Chiang Mai.

I can buy a hard protective case for it if I bring it on the plane, but it's a pretty big piece of luggage and I'm not sure if the baggage handlers in the airport will treat it gently.  Will I have to pay duty if bringing it on the plane?

If I order it online and get it shipped in to Thailand then I'll have to pay duty of about 10k Baht.

What are your thoughts?  Is there anything I'm missing?

Cheers

Check out www.kdm.co.th

The owner is a very nice English gentleman - David English.

Not sure if they are still distributors of Waldorf products, 

but I bought some Access synths from them back in the day - I paid with cash so got a nice discount, at par with US prices.

Bringing a synth in your luggage, you def run the risk of customs duties if you are flagged for an x-ray.

Having it shipped from the UK is even more risky, especially if the online retailer sends it via Fed-X/DHL.

Best to buy locally, if you can.

I'd bring something like that with me rather than having it shipped if at all possible- 10K in duty sounds pretty low for that keyboard, and I'd imagine you'd end up getting hit way harder than that when it arrives...

I've brought some fairly fragile stuff in from the States as checked baggage, and it's always arrived in good condition (I ask for a 'Fragile' sticker when I check it in- maybe that's hoping for too much, but so far, so good...;))

Don't forget it would also go through an unpacking/inspection upon arrival by Thai customs if you have it shipped, and will likely land at a couple of different stops on the way to CM from Bangkok and be moved from truck to truck- not everyone is going to treat it like gold, and the fewer hands on it, the better.

Good luck whatever you decide upon- that looks like a fun thing to play with.

Edited by flare

Could be cheaper to import it, at least on computer electronics theres no import taxes.

So it's only VAT + shipping and handling fees.

You save the UK VAT tho, as it's sold to outside and UK VAT is way more.

Please double check the HS code for music keyboards tho via google

Would highly recommend instead buying a cheap (but decent) MIDI keyboard controller here in Chiang Mai - a couple hundred quid - then buy a Windows PC or Mac and a software VST synth. Not only is this FAR cheaper and less hassle in the long run, but you'll be able to afford several REALLY GOOD VST instruments with your budget.

Edited by clokwise
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, I'm from the UK and am thinking of expating to Chiang Mai.  My main hobby is making music.  I want to buy this keyboard:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/waldorf-quantum-8-voice-hybrid-polyphonic-synthesizer-quantum

It costs £3500.  I don't know whether I should buy it here in the UK and take it with me on the plane, or whether to simply order it when I get to Chiang Mai.

I can buy a hard protective case for it if I bring it on the plane, but it's a pretty big piece of luggage and I'm not sure if the baggage handlers in the airport will treat it gently.  Will I have to pay duty if bringing it on the plane?

If I order it online and get it shipped in to Thailand then I'll have to pay duty of about 10k Baht.

What are your thoughts?  Is there anything I'm missing?

Cheers

Looks to me it would fit in a cardboard box that you ship bicycles in .... Think about how many times you change flight - if well packed in bubble wrap .. with a plywood sheet on each side ... packed in s bike cardboard box / find a bike shop they will have empty boxes to throw out ... If it looked old ... well ... you may not have an issue if custom stops you unless they think you come to work as a musician... Learn the Thai national anthem ! Play that for them and smile if they give you grief .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, varun said:

Check out www.kdm.co.th

The owner is a very nice English gentleman - David English.

Not sure if they are still distributors of Waldorf products, 

but I bought some Access synths from them back in the day - I paid with cash so got a nice discount, at par with US prices.

Bringing a synth in your luggage, you def run the risk of customs duties if you are flagged for an x-ray.

Having it shipped from the UK is even more risky, especially if the online retailer sends it via Fed-X/DHL.

Best to buy locally, if you can.

Thanks for the link.  I had a look and Waldorf is listed so that's a win.

I was thinking of taking it on the plane, without the packaging so that it looks like it's already in use.  Rather than a brand new keyboard.  Will that make difference?

Thanks for your input everyone.

Would highly recommend instead buying a cheap (but decent) MIDI keyboard controller here in Chiang Mai - a couple hundred quid - then buy a Windows PC or Mac and a software VST synth. Not only is this FAR cheaper and less hassle in the long run, but you'll be able to afford several REALLY GOOD VST instruments with your budget.
My friend used to tell me I should have bought a VST setup instead of my Hammond. I laughed when he rang up from his gig begging to borrow mine because his VST wouldn't work.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Confused 1

On 6/14/2019 at 4:59 PM, flare said:

I'd bring something like that with me rather than having it shipped if at all possible- 10K in duty sounds pretty low for that keyboard, and I'd imagine you'd end up getting hit way harder than that when it arrives...

I've brought some fairly fragile stuff in from the States as checked baggage, and it's always arrived in good condition (I ask for a 'Fragile' sticker when I check it in- maybe that's hoping for too much, but so far, so good...;))

Don't forget it would also go through an unpacking/inspection upon arrival by Thai customs if you have it shipped, and will likely land at a couple of different stops on the way to CM from Bangkok and be moved from truck to truck- not everyone is going to treat it like gold, and the fewer hands on it, the better.

Good luck whatever you decide upon- that looks like a fun thing to play with.

I've shipped several fragile items into LOS in check-in luggage, 

First question, would it fit in a very large perhaps longer than usual suitcase. (Shop around would probably find a suitcase that's the right dimensions.)

Second, what's the overall weight of the article? Is it too heavy for one piece of check-in luggage. Need to check however many airlines have a maximum weight for any one piece of luggage, I think its' 32Kilos.

If ok, remove the original wrappings put any documents, user manuals etc., in your hand carry, and re-wrap in many layers of bubble wrap with duct tape to keep the bubble wrap in place, then put it into a cardboard box made to size for the occasion from old cardboard boxes and ensure enough bubble wrap so it's snug inside the cardboard box. then layers and layers of clothes around the cardboards box making sure it's very well padded / protected all around and can't move around inside the suitcase. And insist on fragile stickers on the suitcase even if you have to sign a waiver about damage.

Depending on weight probably not cheap but....

Done this many times to move lots of computer equipment from Shanghai to Chiang Mai, never had anything damaged or broken 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with the above and did exactly that with a full size Alesis (plus studio monitors, amp etc), albeit many moons ago when Imm checks were probably more lax. Naturally got stopped going through green with all this kit, and simply said yep when they asked is it old. Just be sure to make it look 'not new' so use different box and scuff it up ????

While a nice bit of kit, I'd too consider going modular and buying a run of the mill midi keyboard out here. Waldorf may even do the VST of him.

I've shipped several fragile items into LOS in check-in luggage, 
First question, would it fit in a very large perhaps longer than usual suitcase. (Shop around would probably find a suitcase that's the right dimensions.)
Second, what's the overall weight of the article? Is it too heavy for one piece of check-in luggage. Need to check however many airlines have a maximum weight for any one piece of luggage, I think its' 32Kilos.

If ok, remove the original wrappings put any documents, user manuals etc., in your hand carry, and re-wrap in many layers of bubble wrap with duct tape to keep the bubble wrap in place, then put it into a cardboard box made to size for the occasion from old cardboard boxes and ensure enough bubble wrap so it's snug inside the cardboard box. then layers and layers of clothes around the cardboards box making sure it's very well padded / protected all around and can't move around inside the suitcase. And insist on fragile stickers on the suitcase even if you have to sign a waiver about damage.

Depending on weight probably not cheap but....

Done this many times to move lots of computer equipment from Shanghai to Chiang Mai, never had anything damaged or broken 
I just carried my Roland synth in a gig bag. Customs said nothing. I wrapped all my excess clothes around it. I'd say the days of dropping your dx7 once and it's gone are over. Realistically they are built to travel around in the back of trucks, roadies throwing them around, beer spilt on them. I wouldn't worry too much about a plane flight for it. I thought you can buy all this stuff in Thailand though. I vaguely remember being in a high end shop in Bangkok a few years ago. If you think how big Grammy and Thai pop and temple bands are they must be buying their synths from somewhere.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app