The 7th annual New Dutch Herring Party in Chiang Mai ...

dvg

Saturday June 22,  will be the day of the New Dutch Herring Party 2019 in Chiang Mai.

This year, the party will be at Hollanda Montri Guesthouse along the Ping River in Chiang Mai.

The party starts at 18:00.

All friendly Dutch New Herring lovers from all countries are most welcome!

Dirk Dutch Snacks.

haring 2.jpg

IMG_0101.JPG

broodje haring.jpg

Edited by dvg
forget pictures

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

I smell a red herring, as I think it is very fishy that you will not be more explicit.
Are you frightained that the scales may fall from out eyes?

My thoughts were more of Linda Lovelace :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Actually I like herring, wonder if the Dutch herring is different from the Norwegian that we have here. However as I will just be getting back, likely jet lagged sleeping.

Nice to see its at the Hollandi Montri also. Sounds like a good time.

On 6/15/2019 at 10:25 PM, LomSak27 said:

Actually I like herring, wonder if the Dutch herring is different from the Norwegian that we have here. However as I will just be getting back, likely jet lagged sleeping.

Nice to see its at the Hollandi Montri also. Sounds like a good time.

Only 3 day's to go  !!

23 minutes ago, EL159 said:

Absolutely disgusting! People actually pay to voluntarily eat this slimey smelly horrible so called food item?

However, Haddock & Chips, Mushy Peas and Vinegar....NOW were talking!

Here's your comment a few days ago !!! on another threat

Copy/paste  Please get a life you are weird and somewhat sad!

3 hours ago, dvg said:

Here's your comment a few days ago !!! on another threat

Copy/paste  Please get a life you are weird and somewhat sad!

Yes. That was about youre very peculiar interest in the lock on the door of the recently deceased Kiwi guy!

So the 7th Annual New Dutch Herring Party was quite underwhelming. 

I was expecting some sort of gourmet affair, as I had only had the herring from the jars. I thought there would be condiments such as pickled onions and perhaps pickled garlic to go along and at least some fresh dill and mustard. Sour cream? Chives? Boiled eggs or potato? Unfortunately, no.

So there was only the fish, some unappetizingly tasteless white bun, slightly sweet; a bucket of diced raw onions and a bucket of diced dill pickles. 

So this was the 150 baht deal: 

1070999492_Pickledherringsandwich.thumb.jpg.6ccf5a6192d69b8980e0195e9e8551d0.jpg

Some folks were having just the fish (which was tasty, sure) and eating that Shamu style. 

I don't want to be a stick-in-the-mud, but after seven years, I'd have thought there would be more to this. Something like a buffet condiments area where you can go after you purchase your fish.  As it was, the fish was nice but the whole thing was like a quickly tossed together grade school lunch box. 

I'm sure I'm going to be pilloried for this, but if this is the deal, then I'm sort of at a loss. I guess I've been watching too much MasterChef lately. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 7:08 PM, Trujillo said:

I was expecting some sort of gourmet affair, as I had only had the herring from the jars. I thought there would be condiments such as pickled onions and perhaps pickled garlic to go along and at least some fresh dill and mustard. Sour cream? Chives? Boiled eggs or potato? Unfortunately, no.

So there was only the fish, some unappetizingly tasteless white bun, slightly sweet; a bucket of diced raw onions and a bucket of diced dill pickles. 

1070999492_Pickledherringsandwich.thumb.jpg.6ccf5a6192d69b8980e0195e9e8551d0.jpg

Some folks were having just the fish (which was tasty, sure) and eating that Shamu style. 

I don't want to be a stick-in-the-mud, but after seven years, I'd have thought there would be more to this. Something like a buffet condiments area where you can go after you purchase your fish.  As it was, the fish was nice but the whole thing was like a quickly tossed together grade school lunch box. 

I'm sure I'm going to be pilloried for this, but if this is the deal, then I'm sort of at a loss. I guess I've been watching too much MasterChef lately. 

On your comment I know your not Dutch.This is the way the Dutch people eat their Dutch New Herring.

Try Google,

• Like 1

Hey, dvg, got called out didnt you? Sounds like it was as terrible as the one I went to a few years ago. But then....what do the Dutch as a Nation contribute to the gourmet foods of the World? Edam and Gouda? Yup. Thats about it!

3 hours ago, EL159 said:

Hey, dvg, got called out didnt you? Sounds like it was as terrible as the one I went to a few years ago. But then....what do the Dutch as a Nation contribute to the gourmet foods of the World? Edam and Gouda? Yup. Thats about it!

Good luck for us,the Dutch people liked it very much.This is the same "tradition"for may be 100 years.

We, The Dutch, do not tell you how to drink your tea,so do not tell us how we should eat our herring,please !!!

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2019 at 7:08 PM, Trujillo said:

Lol you retard, the entire point is to eat the Dutch herring without any bun at all, it is about the yearly taste of the herring it self, like wine tasting,
but you are allowed to eat it as shown in the picture for a bit more filling / everything is how it should be.
Sour cream and Mustard? You are supposed to taste the fish, not a sauce, let me guess? You are American or something close to as Fked?

You clearly missed the entire point, I will not even spend more time on writing lol. 
If any mustard it will be with bitter balls.

Also to get that in Thailand for only 150B is a very very good deal.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

Who attended this for seven years in a row, other than the owner? 

The bread was what was offered. And yes, I am not from the Netherlands. As I said in my post, I had only had pickled herring from a jar (which I like very much). 

If the idea was to only eat the fish itself without any condiments or bread, then why supply bread and onions and pickles? I saw Dutch people there eating the herring with the bread. Are they also retards? According to tabarin, yes. 

I was also hoping that there would be some herring for sale to take home for later consumption. But that was not offered either. 

Look, all I am saying is that as a newbie, I thought there would be more to it. What would be the downside to offering condiments other than pickles and onions? Those who didn't want to experiment don't need to use them. And by the way, the Thai "partners" that were there -- some with that "another bizarre farang thing" look on their faces -- would probably have more enjoyed the fish in another style. 

Yes, I understand tradition and I laud the owner for holding his event, but there is nothing wrong with thinking outside the box either. 

Herring is great tasting and any chef can tell you that heroing that fish in a dish is not only possible, but elevates the fish as well.