Common Thai pesticide uses

I'm trying to get information about which horrible pesticides the Thai farmers are using and on which crops.  I know the 'big 3' are still being used here even thought they are outlawed in China and many other countries.  I'm looking at property near farms and I'm trying to determine if certain crops are less likely to have hazardous chemicals sprayed on them.  For example, does anyone know what most Thai rice farmers in the North are using?

Thanks.

Pesticides. I have a really powerful one we use around the broiler chicken farm. Kills everything, really bad shit but necessary.

Pesticides in veg. I find more and more people here selling 'chemical-free' such as cashews, peanuts, kana, etc. My missus looks in the market for veg with holes. Her thinking is if it's been nibbled they probably haven't used pesticide. Makes sense to me.

I'll post up a pic of the pesticide tomorrow.

It's not hard to find since they throw the empty bottles near their fields. This is what they use in the sugar cane near me. The bags looks like fertilizer + herbicide and the bottle is an herbicide but never heard about this one before and I was trained for pesticide in Canada. 

IMG_20190603_122354.jpg

IMG_20190603_122249.jpg

IMG_20190603_122348.jpg

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bk-1974-0002.ch008

I would consider insectacides the worst if coming into contact as they can attack the nervous system.

If you see guys out with a mister machine,stay indoors until finished.

Still i would be more worried about the smoke haze the country has been getting for the last couple of years.

Picture of a mister.

451-backpack-mist-blower.jpg

10 hours ago, farmerjo said:

I would consider insectacides the worst if coming into contact as they can attack the nervous system.

If you see guys out with a mister machine,stay indoors until finished.

Still i would be more worried about the smoke haze the country has been getting for the last couple of years.

Picture of a mister.

451-backpack-mist-blower.jpg

Not all class of insecticide attack the nervous systems. Some are even harmless to mammals. These sprayer are also used for herbicide, fungicide and in my case harmless kelp based fertilizer. While I agree most of the stuff they spray is poisonous they might give cancer while leaving the nervous system intact. 

Thanks for the information. 

What I'm really trying to determine is how dangerous it may or may not be to live near a Thai vegetable farm or rice field.  If there's a rice field 5 meters from your property border is it likely that you will be exposed to dangerous chemicals at times?  I'm trying to get a sense of whether it's safe to buy property next to Thai agriculture fields.  The fields are beautiful to look at but if there is danger of being exposed to dangerous pesticides I'd rather live elsewhere.  Many other foreigners seem to live near the fields so maybe I'm worrying too much.

Thanks.

Your concern is legitimate, and should include the water supply, irrigation ditches and groundwater, as well as airborne drift and overspray.  There is excessive and indiscriminate use of harsh chemistry by many farmers, Thai and expat. (Don't get a false sense of security by other foreigners presence, many don't know or care about their environment, food and water supply like you do). 

There are organic methods and bio-pesticide materials available, and a big movement toward organic programs, but it has a long way to go.  You may consider visiting local organic farmers markets and asking around for communities that are organic farming or permaculture oriented. 

Yasathon has a big organic rice farmers co-op. Chiang Mai has an active organic farmers market and growers community. Land bordering national parks and other undeveloped, non-farmed areas may be available.

Post your property search in the organic subforum here and you may find some like minded friends who have pursued the same interests. 

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there,
im new to this thread, could anyone advise me where can I buy this pesticides attached in Thailand.
35027644-AF5A-4C09-BDB8-B4B15395517E.jpeg.b8fd549e116c88dc7889bb06d342abaa.jpeg
1A5A4CDA-8FFB-4DD2-A6BB-3985B86A49AE.jpeg.30a91714b5ec136d6ad390c171b9bf46.jpeg
0506780B-8F56-4332-8461-FA00F7CD7315.jpeg.fb2f395f904c92ef3a84654334738eb1.jpeg
7FB197A1-9918-4887-8FF9-F2F10A1BE2EC.jpeg.92cffbb4f3e99998197d171d01a6b8ed.jpeg
287579E5-A6B5-4567-A1F4-40DD09A707AA.jpeg.928749cdd9d1ffbde31ae060021fb781.jpeg
Since they are labeled in Thai just go to an agricultural store (laan kaset) and show them the pictures.
Unless you don't have more detailed pictures especially from the label or the ingredients I can't help you.
Last one is trichoderma and used a biological agent against fungal diseases.
Quite common and easy to find.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:30 PM, stargazer9999 said:

Thanks for the information. 

What I'm really trying to determine is how dangerous it may or may not be to live near a Thai vegetable farm or rice field.  If there's a rice field 5 meters from your property border is it likely that you will be exposed to dangerous chemicals at times?  I'm trying to get a sense of whether it's safe to buy property next to Thai agriculture fields.  The fields are beautiful to look at but if there is danger of being exposed to dangerous pesticides I'd rather live elsewhere.  Many other foreigners seem to live near the fields so maybe I'm worrying too much.

Thanks.

Your concern is  quite legitimate . The proximity to a crop is probably of less concern than the  consumption of the crop itself which  maybe  from undetermined distance from you.

Many if  not most Thai agricultural producers do not  have and don't feel the need to know or  understand any aspect of chemical applications that do not meet their expectation of greater yield and therefore  cash value. Which in many instances means multiple mix rates or even combined mixes are  believed to be  great! Such as  combining  glysophate with  paraquat . Then using same  applicator  to spray  leaf foliant/ fertilizer and wondering why the crop withers!

The  current objective of  regulating the application of nominated crop chemicals will not change much other than the creation of a select occupation for suicidal entrepreneurs.

The sad fact is that agricultural production is mainly for local consumption and few consumers really ever even consider contamination in market place purchasing. There is  much that  could be said critical  but in reality there are few places that in terms of  non contamination anyone could identify due to the combined  water, soil and atmospheric factors that Thailand is not exclusive in being  made  victim of.

I apologize if that sounds  negative  but from my experience is a reality.

As  much as the chemical  contamination aspect is  of concern I would suggest that as an equally important factor you include a  reliable water source in selection of territory.

Archived