UK PM candidate Johnson: Britain must leave EU by Oct. 31 or pay the price

webfact

UK PM candidate Johnson: Britain must leave EU by Oct. 31 or pay the price

2019-06-18T192433Z_1_LYNXNPEF5H1S4_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-LEADER-DEBATE.JPG

Boris Johnson arrives at BBC studios to take part in a TV debate with candidates campaigning to replace British Prime Minister Theresa May, in London, Britain June 18, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Boris Johnson, the frontrunner to be Britain's prime minister, repeated his pledge on Tuesday that he would take the United Kingdom out of the European Union by Oct. 31, saying otherwise the government would face a catastrophic loss in trust.

"We must come out on the 31 Oct. because, otherwise I am afraid we face a catastrophic loss in politics," Johnson said in a televised debate with the other four remaining candidates seeking to be Britain's next leader.

"Unless we do it, unless we get out on Oct. 31 I think we will all start to pay a really serious price."

(Reporting By William James and Costas Pitas. Writing by Andrew MacAskill, editing by Elizabeth Piper)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-19

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

But he is the only man to get out of the EU and keep a Corbyn Marxist government out of number 10, now you wouldn't want that now would you.

Agreed, but Farage has promised to create merry hell if a May-like compromise is agreed to, that would be the end of the Tories. Corbyn wants a second referendum suddenly. I wonder how that would be worded? I bet the stupid smelly peasants wouldn't understand what they were voting for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

Agreed, but Farage has promised to create merry hell if a May-like compromise is agreed to, that would be the end of the Tories. Corbyn wants a second referendum suddenly. I wonder how that would be worded? I bet the stupid smelly peasants wouldn't understand what they were voting for.

I should imagine that Corbyn would be the last man in Parliament that 'wants' a second referendum. Corbyn is a man of screwed up principles.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, cooked said:

The pound had drooped (mistype, but looks good)  in value ever since I changed money for the first time 53 years ago.

There will certainly be a droop in value immediately before Brexit. Speculators do this kind of thing. 

SO, in my opinion, the EURO is going to crash some time soon, despite QE. Europe's predicted growth rate was down (maybe still is) to 0.2% which is damn near recession. We can bungle our own recession without the aid of Germany and France, thanks.

Three years of near continuous decline in value.

I wonder how many expats in Thailand relying on income from the UK this is hurting?

FD1A12CB-BCC3-4C75-B553-94126A4ADA46.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, katana said:

Wasn't too impressed with any of the candidates' performances in the TV debate. Seemed almost like the EU was in the background, controlling things and pulling their strings.

GMB's analysis was pretty revealing this morning. They didn't really have a good word for any of the candidates or the BBC's format.

What idiot went for 'Val Doonican' chairs? 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, katana said:

Wasn't too impressed with any of the candidates' performances in the TV debate. Seemed almost like the EU was in the background, controlling things and pulling their strings.

That would be the Brussels Broadcasting Corp, or Brexit Bashing Collective, trying to pull their Remain strings again. That bird Maitlis was obviously biased and useless at it anyway.
Rory Stewart apart (needing his Remain & EU subjugation propaganda) why would any of them even deign to appear on a BBC reality show that was dressed up to look like serious politics? It's not like many in Gogglebox land have a say in the matter. Leadership of the CON party is their business and should be done behind closed doors or with the membership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, katana said:

TV debate brought home a terrifying truth: one of these men will be PM

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/18/tv-debate-bbc-boris-johnson-sajid-javid-jeremy-hunt-michael-gove-rory-stewart-jonathan-freedland

Perhaps the most scathing line of the night was the title. It was called Our Next Prime Minister and as the hour wore on, those four words sounded increasingly like a rebuke to the nation. Look at us, they seemed to say: a fabled country with a long, proud history and one of these five jokers is actually going to be our next prime minister.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, vogie said:

But he is the only man to get us out of the EU and keep a Corbyn Marxist government out of number 10, now you wouldn't want that now would you.

Will he ?

Is Boris a Brexiteer?

https://leave.eu/is-boris-a-brexiteer/

Following Dominic Raab’s relegation from the Tory leadership contest late yesterday afternoon, Boris Johnson appeared on stage for the BBC leadership debate as the lone true Brexiteer. By the end of the evening, those credentials had pretty much evaporated. Like Michael Gove, a Leaver in name only, Boris looks vulnerable to failing the will of the people. He is still the front runner however, by a long way.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cooked said:

true, but Raab isn't going to make it. Get Boris the Bumbler in, get us out of Europe, get a bill through parliament introducing proportional representation and declare new elections.

Sorry, just dreaming.

When humans would have stopped dreaming… we were still living in caves..

For the U.K: introducing proportional representation… even for the EU Parliament election they devided the country in 12 constituencies…  like the times of Mercia. Sussex, etc around 700

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, vogie said:

But he is the only man to get us out of the EU and keep a Corbyn Marxist government out of number 10, now you wouldn't want that now would you.

So organise a secodn referendum, in which the British voters can decide what tyopepe of a Brexit they want, and if May succeeded in enough to avoid a no deal. 

What is wrong with that, except of cource.. it ends in a "forget Brexit"...

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, gmac said:

let the pound find its true value. 

In my young years ( 1971), the British pound was DM 11,82 / 2 = € 5,91. Niov 2015 it was € 1,43 and now a € 1,11. So, the true value… with much of the British Industrial export gone in a 2/3 year… maybe one once ? 

• Haha 1